Seastar steering fluid

DHV90

Visit site
Hi guys
What does everyone use in Seastar hydraulic helms? the oil seems hard to get hold of and can't be so special that no generic rating of hydraulic oil will replace it surely?

Thanks in advance!

Edit just did a search and found my answer, happy for this thread to be deleted, sorry

Last edited:

Solent Sailor

Visit site
ATF is not the correct liquid.

You need ISO22 hydraulic fluid. I've recently replaced the old ATF that the previous owner had put into my system with Smith & Allan Hypower 22 fluid - £20 per 5l on eBay - plenty for a flush and refill on a 48 footer with twin helms.

superheat6k

Visit site
ATF is not the correct liquid.

You need ISO22 hydraulic fluid. I've recently replaced the old ATF that the previous owner had put into my system with Smith & Allan Hypower 22 fluid - £20 per 5l on eBay - plenty for a flush and refill on a 48 footer with twin helms.
ATF is a simple hydraulic oil, anyway it works for me, as it did on my last boat.

Momac

Visit site

Useful info should I ever need it.
I have been using Smith and Allan oils for a while - always delivered promptly and a very useful saving over the marine engine makers own branded oils.

Assassin

Visit site
They are often the marine engines makers own brand as it is made in bulk and put into a different container, it is also missing the marine branding and the marine tariff applied to anything marked marine.

Solent Sailor

Visit site
ATF is a simple hydraulic oil, anyway it works for me, as it did on my last boat.

ATF will work, but it is of notably higher viscosity (c. 38 in comparable terms) and your steering would be noticebaly lighter with ISO22 - mine is.

In addition, ATF (Dexron etc) is not intended for use with the seals contained in many steering systems - e.g. in autopilot pumps. Over time, this can cause degradation and leaks. Of course, the pump may well fail for other reasons before that happens (I have a poor history with these darned things!) but I do tend to try to use the correct spec of fluid for the correct job. It's not as if ISO22 is expensive.