Seaspeak

Jack100

Visit site
Hi,

Would anyone be able to help me on the issue of Seaspeak? I understand what is is and why it is there, but do you think there is still a need for it in modern marine communication? I have to do a seminar on it at some stage, and just trying to start research on people's views etc

Cheers,

Jack

Jack100

Visit site
Hi,

I wasn't referring to Nautical Terminology. 'Seaspeak' was developed by Capt. F Weeks and following research into elements of the English language, devised a marine communication system principally for International Officers and Crew whose native language was not English.

Seaspeak focues mainly on VHF communication, and Capt. Weeks (amongst other researchers) produced a 'guide' and a structured program how best to be clear and consise when using VHF to transmit messages. The aim was to reduce hazards associated with langauge confusion.

Perhaps I should have been clearer in my initial post.

Many Thanks,

Jack.

Mirelle

N/A
Visit site
Very necessary.

I work for a Chinese shipowning company and we need it.

However, there are an assortment of "nautical English" courses about and I am not sure that they all use it. In today's training milieu, with CBT in ever wider use, maybe the courses should be looked at again.

AJW

Visit site
Back in the dim distant late 80's I did a Marine Studies degree at Plymouth Poly with a course in marine communications under Capt Fred Weeks. Allround top bloke, and probably the most enjoyable course I took there. IMHO with the diversity of nationalities onboard ships these days I'd say that it was needed more than ever. I do wonder how often it is used though? (just from idle listening to VHF traffic in busy areas I'd say not at all.)