Sea Cocks. and electric toilet

Amscerp

Visit site
Hello everyone

A newbie at sailing, and boats !!!

Need some advice.

I saw a thread this evening, (15 years old, which I did not know) . . . so I posted in that, and got some advice, so . . . . I thought I would start a new thread.

i have just taken ownership of an old steel yacht. It needs work!!!!! . . . (smile)

I have a Simpson and Lawrence sea cock for the toilet waste. And they wont move !!! . .. . So, I have removed them, and stripped it.
It has a cone shaped thing in it, with what looks like a nylon bush on top of it.
Now I have removed it, when I put it back, it just spins around, which I am sure, is not the way it is supposed to work !! Surely it should just open, let water in, then close???

Can I service these things, there is two of them, a large one, and a smaller one. I assume the small one is to let the water in, and the big one to let the waste out ???
Or . . . .
Do I HAVE to buy new ones, which wont be cheap !!!
I have looked for new ones, and I dont see any sqare ones, only round ones, which will mess up my hole alignment !!!
Thanks

See attached pics

Attachments

• 20200901_194102.jpg
    20200901_194102.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 20200901_194147.jpg
    20200901_194147.jpg
    784 KB · Views: 45

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Yes the cone type seacocks can be services and if correctly maintained can lat a very long time.

Generally you service the seacock by using valve grinding paste to ensure a fine fit between the inner on outer cone shapes.

There must be a plate the holds the inner cone in to the body with the 3 studs 2 you have one seems missing. If you don't have the top plate it makes the seacock useless.

I also have a steel boat but I have stainless steel seacocks but the bronze one you have would be OK if the seacock is electrically insulated from the steel hull by using a plastic spacer between the base of the seacock and an outside coller and the steel hull.

If you decide to replace the bronze seacocks I would use 316 stainless steel skin fittings and stainless steel ball valves. Some people will advise against stainless steel below the waterline but its all about the correct grade and not having any standing water inside the boat.

There are also plastic seacocks then can also be used on steel boats to get around the electrolysis of bronze and steel.

There are a number of pictures of when I built my steel boat in my signature below.

BTW the reader to reader forum is a better place for technical questions.

Servicing Tapered Cone Seacocks - Marine How To

Last edited by a moderator:

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The seacock should have a plate to hold the cone bit in place. It might be possible to machine one if your plate is missing?

Yes the cone will just spin round once it's freed. Sometimes the plate has the appropriate cut outs that act as stops, but without the plate, the cone will spin. There should be a handle to go on the square bit sticking out of the cone.

As others have said, you service them by cleaning it all up and then use some grinding paste to lap the cone into the body. A wire brush and elbow grease and perhaps some acid cleaner will get the whole thing looking like new.

You will need three studs to hold the plate in place (it appears one of your needs to be drilled out and re-tapped and replaced)

You then apply grease to the cone etc and tighten the plate down so that you can still move the cone comfortably. Ideally they should be slightly stiff. but not too stiff to move. Nuts and locknuts on the studs to secure the plate in the right position.

You then need to exercise them regularly to stop them seizing up...

The seacocks you have are excellent seacocks that should be possible to refurbish with a little care and attention.

Amscerp

Visit site
John Morris
You will need three studs to hold the plate in place (it appears one of your needs to be drilled out and re-tapped and replaced)

You then apply grease to the cone etc and tighten the plate down so that you can still move the cone comfortably. Ideally they should be slightly stiff. but not too stiff to move. Nuts and locknuts on the studs to secure the plate in the right position.

You then need to exercise them regularly to stop them seizing up...

The seacocks you have are excellent seacocks that should be possible to refurbish with a little care and attention.

Thanks