Sea anchor - from the bow or stern?

Independence

Visit site
Thanks Richard, would love to meet up but need to speak to my wife first as we have friends down on Sunday.
If you would care to e-mail me your tele number pmead50@hotmail.com I could give you a call and try to arrange something mutually convenient.

Many thanks

Paul

CPD

Visit site
I have thought about that and although I havent tried it yet, a seperate line to the end of the bag which will collapse it by allowing it to be puilled through the water the wrong way if you see what I mean.

Saddletramp

Visit site
It may get tangled and not work properly. I would be inclined to keep it simple as possible. When you need it you want it to work. If you are trying to retrieve it the weather must have improved.

I would have thought it would be possible to drag it through the water. This can be tried in calm weather any way.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I found it incredible the first time I tried it . The motion is easy and gentle.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've lay-a-hull a few times to both warps and drogue. I usually do it at the stage when I am not sure the boat can stand much more pounding and is in imminent danger of rollover. I am always surprised when I do it that a terrifying situation suddenly becomes endurable.
I was particularly interested in the bow vs stern debate. As I tend to lay the drogue [or warps] when things are fairly desperate, I have always done it from the stern never the bow, as I have not liked to go forward at that stage when the deck is being swept by large breakers even with a lifeline. However laying the drogue from the stern presents your stern or quarter to the wind and waves and invites them to break into your cockpit and over your stormboards and this in my case always means some water in the cabin. I always tie off my tiller so I'm not sure that mvoing backwards would necessarily damage my rudder. However I have recorded a ground speed of 4 knots while lying to a drogue but I can't tell you how much of that is movement through the water or the movement of the water as teh wave breaks.
One day I will probably try a drogue from the bow but it is a catch 22 as I still don't like going forward in a really big sea. I had to do it once in an F9 and 5 metre waves when my furling line broke and my genoa deployed and that was very scary as the bow and I were completely underwater from time to time.

beneteau_305_553

Visit site
I think its the same as running with the wind trailing warps but a builders bag is so good. It weighs 1 ton full of water and about 1 kgs on deck. I find the turbulence from the bag kills the crests

I have reinforced my washboards and each board has a lanyard to the boat