Scottish West Coast - must have fashion accessory for 2020

dunedin

Visit site
So the key fashion accessory, a must have for 2020 cruising in Scotland this year, is ........... industrial rubber gloves !

On every visitor mooring I have picked up, the pickup rope seems to have been underwater for a year with super abundant sea life. Cut my hand on shellfish on one in Tobermory #, as well as getting jelly fish stings. Picked up quite a few buoy ropes since (generally for lunch only unless confident of maintenance status), all equally covered - but now know to use gloves.
Rain gear of course also the key thing this July !

# I was probably one of very first users of a visitor mooring in Tobermoryin 2020, when only a handful in use. Most have now been reinstated since then so should not be a problem there now, but further North and West get your gloves ready.

D

Deleted member 36384

I know a man who lost his hand after a shell fish cut to a finger, oyster shell in this case, 24 hours after the cut as well. I am not surprised pick up lines have significant marine growth, any that are in place have hardly been used.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
At last a clear advantage for The Solent. The visitors buoys in Newtown Creek have been in continuous use since May. The pick-up strops are never in the water so nothing grows on them. ?

Kelpie

Visit site
I see that Canna are now putting pick ups on their visitor buoys. Should still be relatively clean if they've just gone on.