• REMINDER - COVID-19

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as YBW, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health and liberty is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

Users who are found to promulgate FAKE NEWS on the forum in regard to this issue, intentional or otherwise, may find their access terminated. It is your responsibility to provide references to bona fide sources.

FAKE NEWS, in this regard, is that which is posited by organisations, media, etc., that is repeated on the forum, or used to support personal opinion/hypothesis posted by users - FAKE NEWS is not necessarily the personal opinion/hypothesis being posted in itself, any issues with such should be challenged respectfully.

Scottish West Coast - must have fashion accessory for 2020

dunedin

So the key fashion accessory, a must have for 2020 cruising in Scotland this year, is ........... industrial rubber gloves !

On every visitor mooring I have picked up, the pickup rope seems to have been underwater for a year with super abundant sea life. Cut my hand on shellfish on one in Tobermory #, as well as getting jelly fish stings. Picked up quite a few buoy ropes since (generally for lunch only unless confident of maintenance status), all equally covered - but now know to use gloves.
Rain gear of course also the key thing this July !

# I was probably one of very first users of a visitor mooring in Tobermoryin 2020, when only a handful in use. Most have now been reinstated since then so should not be a problem there now, but further North and West get your gloves ready.

BlowingOldBoots

I know a man who lost his hand after a shell fish cut to a finger, oyster shell in this case, 24 hours after the cut as well. I am not surprised pick up lines have significant marine growth, any that are in place have hardly been used.

DJE

At last a clear advantage for The Solent. The visitors buoys in Newtown Creek have been in continuous use since May. The pick-up strops are never in the water so nothing grows on them. 😁

wully1

At last a clear advantage for The Solent. The visitors buoys in Newtown Creek have been in continuous use since May. The pick-up strops are never in the water so nothing grows on them. 😁
I’ll take my chances with shell fish slashed fingers over the S*lent any day.