Scottish Series 2022 cancelled?

dunedin

Visit site
Seen something similar on the Scottish sailing Facebook groups, including photos of the letter sent out - but as you say nothing on the CCC Scottish Series site.
People are not happy, as all made plans and many booked shore accomodation. There was even a suggestion some competitors trying to organise their own racing for that weekend.
Hope this isn’t the nail in the coffin for what was Scotland’s main yacht racing event.

mrming

instagram.com
We were entered, crew had booked flights etc. Managed to get refunds on pretty much everything luckily. I have done the event every year since 2002 but I do agree this could kill it off. Unbelievable to cancel so late.

adwuk

Visit site
There is a lot happening right now to recover the racing for some of the classes. I wouldn't write the event off just yet, but there is certainly reputational damage for the organisers.

adwuk

Visit site
From other channels:

Saturday Scottish Series update:
Talks and progress has been very positive.
Thank you to those of you who have volunteered to do bits and pieces. We have had a lot of support from the local community who also were devastated to hear about the planned cancelation.
As things stand, the Scottish Series WILL be going ahead.
Mark is awaiting confirmation from the Clyde Cruising Club that it will become a 3-day event (Friday-Sunday).

adwuk

Visit site
Latest update.

Scottish Series 2022
Important Update - 15 May 2022
#scottishseries
Following the announcement that Scottish Series was to cancel in 2022 and be replaced with a much reduced scope Regatta there has been nothing short of a tidal wave of support from communities, both afloat and ashore. To say it has been incredible would be a major understatement. So great has been the depth of support that we are confident we can now deliver significantly more than was announced last week.
We have a huge list of conversations to follow up on, logistics to confirm, and over the next 24 - 48 hours some midnight oil to burn before we can release exactly what we will be able to deliver but it looks like we may be able to provide both passage racing and class based short course racing with a possible extension to four days.
To everyone who has been in touch either directly, through your class association or to the race officers, thank you. The Clyde Cruising Club expects to release details of what can be delivered on the 17th May.
Some of the questions we know you may have at this stage are below;
Q. What can you now deliver?
A. Subject to verification it looks like the racing will consist of both short course racing and passage racing more in line with what you would expect at Scottish Series. Exact details will be confirmed once race officers agree teams.
Q. Will the event be three or four days?
A. Given the support we have received the organisers are in discussions to increase the event to four days.
We hope the above helps answer some of the questions you may have and please do get in touch with us on 0141 221 2774 or office@clyde.org with any others.

adwuk

Visit site
Not a write off - have you read post #9? I spoke with one of the race officers 2 days ago and he was confident that there would be round the cans racing for a number of classes. Which classes will form part of the announcement expected today.

Last edited:

adwuk

Visit site
Content deleted

The problem appeared to be a lack of volunteers, compounded by the organisers not raising the issue early enough with all the stakeholders. Once the problem was raised, it was solved in a few days - which I believe means the volunteers were always there, they just needed asking!

Last edited by a moderator:

dunedin

Visit site
A Notice of Race has been posted for what is apparently not the Scottish Series but the Tarbert Regatta - https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...020/NoR+Tarbert+Jubilee+Regatta+2022+V1.3.pdf

Looks very similar to a Scottish Series with lots of classes and lots of races. Can anybody explain why they didn’t simply reinstate the original event, rather than create a new event, website etc? Seems a big muddle up by CCC, but hopefully some decent racing salvaged.

awol

Visit site
A Notice of Race has been posted for what is apparently not the Scottish Series but the Tarbert Regatta - https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...020/NoR+Tarbert+Jubilee+Regatta+2022+V1.3.pdf

Looks very similar to a Scottish Series with lots of classes and lots of races. Can anybody explain why they didn’t simply reinstate the original event, rather than create a new event, website etc? Seems a big muddle up by CCC, but hopefully some decent racing salvaged.
Alan, I can tell you the explanation I've been given and I also have my own view but not on an open forum. No doubt we'll cross paths this summer.

dunedin

Visit site
Perhaps somebody from Clyde Cruising Club might like to come on here and explain the U Turn and loss of another official Scottish Series. As it stands, it doesn’t look good for Scottish yacht racing organisation - and particularly for boats from out of the area which may have been considering coming to this or future events.

adwuk

Visit site
And so we are reminded of the fantastic sailing on offer when the weather gods are on our side! Snippets taken between laying and lifting marks on the IRC, Sigma 33 and Hunter 707 race course.