Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

dunedin

Visit site
What’s your view of Scotland easing travel restrictions from England. My reading remains “we hope........April 26 or soon thereafter”?

Any thoughts as to if this is looking likely?

If they open up travel within mainland Scotland, hopefully on 26th April, I can’t see it realistically enforceable to prevent road travel across the border (and with so many people in border areas crossing for work reasons, probably already not).

Two substantial BUT’s:
- no date yet for when people from two families can stay on board a boat - indicative is “end June”; and
- Nicola has only indicated mainland Scotland travel may be allowed - not clear if she will permit travel to/from the islands, which make up much / most of Scotland’s cruising grounds

Skylark

Visit site
If they open up travel within mainland Scotland, hopefully on 26th April, I can’t see it realistically enforceable to prevent road travel across the border (and with so many people in border areas crossing for work reasons, probably already not).

Two substantial BUT’s:
- no date yet for when people from two families can stay on board a boat - indicative is “end June”; and
- Nicola has only indicated mainland Scotland travel may be allowed - not clear if she will permit travel to/from the islands, which make up much / most of Scotland’s cruising grounds
Thanks................but depressing ?

I have a week pencilled-in with two friends from 7th June. Itinerary would definitely include the islands Another week mid July with two other friends with a plan to go to Belfast.

"End June or later" will make me question the validity of launching (for the second consecutive season), especially given that politicians seem to be preparing us for a third wave.

D

Deleted member 36384

Just stock up with victuals so you don’t have to worry about shopping on the islands. Loads of islands where you can anchor and go ashore without a scooby chance of being shouted at by a teuchter. On the other hand central belters that have second homes and others not from the H&I may do so. Fortunately, you can wander where you like, more or less, without anyone stopping you. Do read up on the right of access rules, so you can protect other land users interests.

adwuk

Visit site
I have noticed one or two boats out and about. Looked like someone was stuck on Otter Spit yesterday, although on a rising tide. Only caught a glimpse as we were driving by.

We are going back in on Saturday, and hope to have our first sail on Sunday. At least the forecast looks good.

awol

Visit site
We are going back in on Saturday, and hope to have our first sail on Sunday. At least the forecast looks good.
A giddy 5C with 3 degrees of wind-chill and a gentle WNW gusting icicles according to the Met Office - other forecasts are available. Enjoy!
For quite a few years I left Port Edgar on 1st April (before Eileen could catch me) and sail round to the Clyde via the Caledonian. Snow was experienced on the odd occasion but by now I would be on my mooring at Gourock with a couple of hundred nm on the clock and my sea legs restored. Only 17 days to go!

wully1

Visit site

“She” is not making the decision last time I heard. The decision will be driven by the islanders.

It is certainly possible yotties will not be uniformly welcomed if they are not respectful of locals feelings including covid free areas of the mainland west highlands - which is pretty much all of it. I doubt many islanders will be concerned by anchoring off and having a wander ashore.

Folk have been sneaking back here over the past month to second homes but are keeping a very low profile so causing no offence as far as I’m aware.
OTOH folk up north are dreading the return of the motorhome hordes..

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Earlier in the thread I noted my dissatisfaction that the case levels said we should be in tier 2 but we are stuck in tier 4. Well since then case levels here would not put is in tier 1 and yes we are still stuck in tier 4.

And when eventually we are put back in the tier system we will start in tier 3. and I am supposed to be happy at that and vote for them?

In the mean time we are now planning our launch based on weather, too cold and windy at the moment.

wully1

Visit site
Earlier in the thread I noted my dissatisfaction that the case levels said we should be in tier 2 but we are stuck in tier 4. Well since then case levels here would not put is in tier 1 and yes we are still stuck in tier 4.

And when eventually we are put back in the tier system we will start in tier 3. and I am supposed to be happy at that and vote for them?

In the mean time we are now planning our launch based on weather, too cold and windy at the moment.

you wouldn’t vote for ‘them’ anyway :LOL: :LOL:

and either can’t or won’t understand the reasons behind the decisions being made.

Skylark

Visit site
Sailing The Clyde has many appeals for an Englishman. Such appeals include land-based attractions and food and drink ashore. I don’t particularly want to sail from marina to an anchorage and eat on board.

I’ll keep a close eye on the situation as it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to launch for another month or two. If there remains risk/concern over visitors spreading the virus I fear another year in the cradle ?

adwuk

Visit site
A giddy 5C with 3 degrees of wind-chill and a gentle WNW gusting icicles according to the Met Office - other forecasts are available. Enjoy!

Don't tell the missus, or she might not want to go. The forecast I have is much more favourable :)

D

Deleted member 36384

Sailing The Clyde has many appeals for an Englishman. Such appeals include land-based attractions and food and drink ashore. I don’t particularly want to sail from marina to an anchorage and eat on board.

I’ll keep a close eye on the situation as it’s unlikely that I’ll be able to launch for another month or two. If there remains risk/concern over visitors spreading the virus I fear another year in the cradle ?

That’s a fair point and I agree that a lot of the pleasure is associated with good food and good beer and a secure berth.

Just keep an eye on things and don’t listen to rumor. Last sumner a local hotelier welcomed folks for meals but some locals let the visitors know their displeasure as they walked by; Colonsay, as reported by a good friend whom I would not doubt.

When opened up, your money will be welcome, for sure. Initially some will be grumpy.

dunedin

Visit site

Out of interest, why didn’t you launch last year? It was certainly a very late start, but many of us had great sailing from 3rd July through to some excellent sailing weather through to late October.

dunedin

Visit site
“She” is not making the decision last time I heard. The decision will be driven by the islanders.

It is certainly possible yotties will not be uniformly welcomed if they are not respectful of locals feelings including covid free areas of the mainland west highlands - which is pretty much all of it. I doubt many islanders will be concerned by anchoring off and having a wander ashore.

Folk have been sneaking back here over the past month to second homes but are keeping a very low profile so causing no offence as far as I’m aware.
OTOH folk up north are dreading the return of the motorhome hordes..

So what is the process for consultation with the Islands? I saw something about one of the island tourist groups saying that these were fine words, but nobody had actually consulted them. Perhaps they have now.

Last year in my experience, once travel opened up in July the welcome for sensible and responsible yachties was 100% friendly and positive on the West coast and inner and outer Hebrides. In many places I was the first visiting boat of the year and warmly welcomed (from a safe distance) - and in Salen, Loch Sunart was given a free berth for the evening as a welcome back.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

I agree. We've had no cases here (D&G) in the past week and eight in teh week before that. That puts us firmly near the bottom of Level 1, but we're supposed to put up with a couple of months at least in Tier 4 or 3. I am a wholehearted enthusiast for dealing with COVID, but this is ridiculous.

The good news is that I can launch, moor and sail my Drascombe from the weekend, as long as we don't have guests. It will be nice to be afloat again.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
and either can’t or won’t understand the reasons behind the decisions being made.
Go explain the reasons.

We were told they won't give hard dates for easing the lockdown, they will be led by data. "Data not dates" i seem to remember.

So now the data is saying much of Scotland should be in tier 1 or 2, but we are not, we are all still in tier 4.

So either they were lying when they said they would be guided by the data? Or they have changed their mind because they are scared, or they know something they dare not tell the public.

In the absence of an explanation, all we see now is unnecessary restriction for no good reason.

wully1

Visit site
Well my simmering little heap of anger ,it’s better to go slowly and carefully so that this is the last time we have a lockdown.
No system is perfect and yes, it is frustrating when you are lucky enough to live in a virtually unaffected area but your selfish needs are nothing to the overall well-being of the country and those less fortunate.

Suck it up buttercup - it won’t be long until you can play with your toys again.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Well my simmering little heap of anger ,it’s better to go slowly and carefully so that this is the last time we have a lockdown.
No system is perfect and yes, it is frustrating when you are lucky enough to live in a virtually unaffected area but your selfish needs are nothing to the overall well-being of the country and those less fortunate.

Suck it up buttercup - it won’t be long until you can play with your toys again.
I think that is a little unfair. With the former restrictions on travel from higher-tier to lower-tier areas, I find it very hard to see why his bit of the country, or my bit of the country, or your bit of the country should not open up significantly. The powers that we were quick enough to close us down (and right to do so) when we had outbreaks in Stranraer and Annan before Christmas, so why not use that flexibility the other way too?

Ca canny, of course, but that's what following WHO guidance is supposed to do. So why aren't we?

Skylark

Visit site
Out of interest, why didn’t you launch last year? It was certainly a very late start, but many of us had great sailing from 3rd July through to some excellent sailing weather through to late October.
My last visit to the marina was in July and the boat was not antifouled, prop not fitted, generally not ready for launch. A second wave looked inevitable and I didn’t want to find a travel ban with the boat floating. Of course, the marina would probably have lifted it but I prefer to be there to ensure that she is fully prepared for hibernation.

As to sailing, I did a few weeks later in the season on Lake Solent delivering RYA courses so had my fix ?

Quandary

Visit site
if there is the slightest possibility that by staying ashore for an extra month or two (or even all season) we could prevent the infection rates currently prevalent in Edinburgh and the central belt spreading out to here I would conform to it. But at Easter we had the gangs of bikers thundering through the village in almost normal processions so regulation is already not working, maybe they went to Campbeltown and turned round without getting off.
Still anything I can do to gain an extra couple of years of life and to live for a while mask free again, I am up for it.