Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

Skylark

Visit site
if there is the slightest possibility that by staying ashore for an extra month or two (or even all season) we could prevent the infection rates currently prevalent in Edinburgh and the central belt spreading out to here I would conform to it. But at Easter we had the gangs of bikers thundering through the village in almost normal processions so regulation is already not working, maybe they went to Campbeltown and turned round without getting off.
Still anything I can do to gain an extra couple of years of life and to live for a while mask free again, I am up for it.
I agree with you. Albeit I've had both doses of a vaccine I don't want to put myself in the position of being made unwelcome, even worse, fueling nationalism.

CapPugwash

Visit site
we could prevent the infection rates currently prevalent in Edinburgh and the central belt spreading out to here I would conform to it.

What are these high rates you speak of? I understood that they are very low everywhere. Don't forget that this test was not designed for screening and has a proportion of false positives that you need to take into account.

I'm not disagreeing with your point though, I certanily don't want to go anywhere if it causes concern to the local community.

dunedin

Visit site
if there is the slightest possibility that by staying ashore for an extra month or two (or even all season) we could prevent the infection rates currently prevalent in Edinburgh and the central belt spreading out to here I would conform to it. But at Easter we had the gangs of bikers thundering through the village in almost normal processions so regulation is already not working, maybe they went to Campbeltown and turned round without getting off.
Still anything I can do to gain an extra couple of years of life and to live for a while mask free again, I am up for it.

Eh, where do you get that from? City of Edinburgh currently just 28.2 / 100,000. So Tier 1 or 2 level.

And with 70% or more of the adult population in Highlands and Islands now vaccinated, what problem are people hiding from?

Deaths within 28 days of positive Covid test down at less than 1% of expected daily deaths (and some deaths within 28 days will always happen for unrelated reasons - age, heart attack, falling off a bike).
Statistically you probably now have a higher risk of death by drowning in the Canal than from Covid?

We seem to have got into an unscientific “lockdown mindset”, whereby people want to wish away large chunks of other people’s lives by unnecessary restrictions - which were extremely relevant in 2020, but not with virtually all the at risk people vaccinated.

adwuk

Visit site
But at Easter we had the gangs of bikers thundering through the village in almost normal processions so regulation is already not working, maybe they went to Campbeltown and turned round without getting off.

I saw some bikers too over the Easter break, but recognised a couple of them, so know at least that group to be local (i.e. Kintyre). I guess they were simply taking advantage of the fact that they were allowed to start riding after the lifting of the stay at home rule on the 2nd April. I imagine that a few more will be out and about with the improving weather this weekend.

This summer is going to be a strange one. On the one hand, many local businesses are working hard to get ready to welcome visitors. I know the Tarbert hotels, restaurants and B&Bs are busy staffing up, stocking up, planning menus and such like - but there is going to be a section of the local community who are more risk-averse and have possibly become used to having the place to themselves. It will change, as second home and boat owners exercise their rights to visit. I sincerely hope that they, and genuine tourists, will be made welcome.

CapPugwash

Visit site
I saw some bikers too over the Easter break, but recognised a couple of them, so know at least that group to be local (i.e. Kintyre). I guess they were simply taking advantage of the fact that they were allowed to start riding after the lifting of the stay at home rule on the 2nd April. I imagine that a few more will be out and about with the improving weather this weekend.

This summer is going to be a strange one. On the one hand, many local businesses are working hard to get ready to welcome visitors. I know the Tarbert hotels, restaurants and B&Bs are busy staffing up, stocking up, planning menus and such like - but there is going to be a section of the local community who are more risk-averse and have possibly become used to having the place to themselves. It will change, as second home and boat owners exercise their rights to visit. I sincerely hope that they, and genuine tourists, will be made welcome.

Once you're vaccinated, you're safe (after 3 weeks). I know they are saying otherwise but senior medical people I know say this is just for controlling the ignorant masses. Obviously, we are an enlightened bunch on here and can handle the truth. :) So these people should not fear visitors when the time comes. I expect that when that time does come, the message will change. I just hope that people aren't too afraid to listen.

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
Clackmannanshire 111.5 per 100k. Argyll and Bute 8.2 Western Isles 0
All quite low but I like the latter a lot better than the first, like in Barra last year one infected person in contact with a dozen others has a disproportinate effect.
I intend to launch (1st May) and to go cruising but just like last year will attempt to avoid mixing with small isolated vulnerable communities, I am fortunate that the club boatyard where she lies is about 40m. from our gate.

cpedw

Visit site
Tiers are so last year. And we saw in January how well that system worked. The powers that be are learning from previous mistakes and trying hard not to come too close again to destroying the NHS.

awol

Visit site
2 weeks to go (I hope!). Time to start doing press-ups, ab crunches and the like to get boat body fit. Temp is supposed to rise but GFS forecast for 12.00 26/4/21 is 4C and NW1/2 with showers. Where did I put my thermals, boots, etc.. See you out there!

CapPugwash

Visit site
I'm booked, ready to go, busily putting of jobs until next year.

Queen Nicola the Great is about give us an urgent update.. ?

Could this be a delay or even bringing it forward.... I suppose there is an election coming up so hopefully the latter.

D

Deleted member 36384

I'm booked, ready to go, busily putting of jobs until next year.

Queen Nicola the Great is about give us an urgent update.. ?

Could this be a delay or even bringing it forward.... I suppose there is an election coming up so hopefully the latter.

On her gender?

D

Deleted member 36384

From the BBC

The Covid-19 restriction on travelling around Scotland is to be lifted from Friday, while people are to be allowed to meet up in larger groups outdoors.
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon said measures were being eased earlier than planned to help people's mental health.
People will be allowed to meet in groups of up to six adults from six households in outdoor settings.
And they will be permitted to travel across Scotland to do so, as long as they do not stay overnight.
Other restrictions are expected to be eased from 26 April - with shops, pubs and restaurants likely to reopen on a restricted basis.
And Ms Sturgeon said people should be able to meet indoors again from the middle of May.

SaltIre

Visit site
I agree. We've had no cases here (D&G) in the past week and eight in teh week before that. That puts us firmly near the bottom of Level 1, but we're supposed to put up with a couple of months at least in Tier 4 or 3. I am a wholehearted enthusiast for dealing with COVID, but this is ridiculous.

The good news is that I can launch, moor and sail my Drascombe from the weekend, as long as we don't have guests. It will be nice to be afloat again.
Dumfries & Galloway had 3 cases between 3rd - 9th April - not none. Tableau Public

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
From this Friday, travel restrictions lifted so no longer stuck to your own council area, and also from Friday up to 6 people from 6 households can meet outside.

Our planned launch this weekend can go ahead without having to bend any rules now.

What is not clear yet is whether you can cross the border from / to England yet?

D

Deleted member 36384

... What is not clear yet is whether you can cross the border from / to England yet?

Even if you read the BBC Scotland web site, it’s clear.