Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

claymore

Visit site
Now my Friends - we are getting towards the end of the restrictions. Its not been easy for any of us, unfairness appears to abound and there's a tetchiness that won't improve our health, good looks or future relations.
See you all soon when we can bump elbows, smile and be genuinely grateful to see each other again - Especially Wullyum as I owe him half a pint of mild for being an absolute treasure and sorting my dinghy out. :giggle:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
As a by the the way. One of the properties I looked at, had an over the top offer put in on the day I looked at it, on condition the property be removed from the market and no other offers received. I didn't even get a chance to put an offer in. No idea if that is representative of the market for holiday homes or was a one off. It was in a desirable location.
Down here in Galloway houses are selling very fast indeed. There is still a reasonable supply of grotty ex-council places, but anywhere halfway decent is going in no time. It might be a very good thing for the area. My local primary school has fourteen new children starting after Easter, increasing its roll by 20%. For an area which has been turning into a retirement village, that's very good news.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
But if you can explain why travel to exercise outdoors is perfectly safe covering 150 miles each way (Wick to Fort William) but suddenly not 15 miles, just because there is a local authority line on the map, please do so? And why some families can meet outdoors up but others not been able to do so since November due to a bizarre post code lottery.
Just a peculiarity of geography and population distribution. Restriction by council area is a nice, easy way of doing it in the central belt but makes less sense elsewhere. And, of course, it has funny effects at boundaries.

But what's the alternative? Restricting travel by distance from home would be weird in a different way - I have to go further than the current Irish limit just to get a pint of milk.

It'll be over soon. I can wait.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
But what's the alternative? Restricting travel by distance from home would be weird in a different way - I have to go further than the current Irish limit just to get a pint of milk.
Go back to the tier system where you can travel but not into a higher tier area. Very much more flexibility. And LONG overdue now.

You might have noticed I find being treated as tier 4 when the case numbers suggest tier 2 as a little bit over restrictive.

D

Deleted member 36384

Go back to the tier system where you can travel but not into a higher tier area. Very much more flexibility. And LONG overdue now.

You might have noticed I find being treated as tier 4 when the case numbers suggest tier 2 as a little bit over restrictive.

You know what is restrictive, being dead, or mourning, or wondering where the income is coming from because the breadwinner has died from Covid. This Pandemic was allowed to spread because of people travelling. The Tier system aided and abetted that which is why we have the national lockdown.

dunedin

Visit site
Just a peculiarity of geography and population distribution. Restriction by council area is a nice, easy way of doing it in the central belt but makes less sense elsewhere. And, of course, it has funny effects at boundaries.

It'll be over soon. I can wait.
Looks like England and Wales are doing better without this rule - and free 4 weeks sooner

D

Deleted member 36384

So now the Scottish parliament is closed for the election period. who and how are any further covid decision made? Or are we stuck in limbo in lockown until after the election?

You are now being deliberately obtuse or just trawling.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
But would leave Dunedin's point unchanged: that Wick to Fort William would be OK but Perth to Dundee would not.

As I have said before, me too. If the rate here stays the same (it doesn't even have to come down) we should be in Tier 1 on 21/4 which makes the suggestion that we'll be in Tier 3 along with you lot a bit galling.

wully1

Visit site
But if you can explain why travel to exercise outdoors is perfectly safe covering 150 miles each way (Wick to Fort William) but suddenly not 15 miles, just because there is a local authority line on the map, please do so? And why some families can meet outdoors up but others not been able to do so since November due to a bizarre post code lottery.

I'll make this as short and easy for you to understand as I can... "POPULATION DENSITY"

dunedin

Visit site
I'll make this as short and easy for you to understand as I can... "POPULATION DENSITY"
So Scotland’s population density is higher than England is it, that’s why we need more controls and restrictions on our civil liberties for longer periods ? Welsh are free to travel, English are free to travel from Monday - meanwhile Scots are not trusted to be sensible by their Government.
And remind me why having crowds forced into limited spaces outdoors is safer than spread out by another 20-30 miles?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Which is why as has been pointed out, the stupid rules confine the densely populated areas to all go and share the relatively few open spaces for exercise, and prohibit them from travelling a little further to proper open space to exercise alone.

Genius.

wully1

Visit site
Which is why as has been pointed out, the stupid rules confine the densely populated areas to all go and share the relatively few open spaces for exercise, and prohibit them from travelling a little further to proper open space to exercise alone.

Genius.

So we will send all the plague ridden weegies up to your place to Exercise shall we? Dumbedin can go as well.
Brilliant idea, spread infection all over the country - out of the areas where things are bad.

The blanket rules are in force because people are stupid and think it’s OK for them to do what they like.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
So Scotland’s population density is higher than England is it, that’s why we need more controls and restrictions on our civil liberties for longer periods ? Welsh are free to travel, English are free to travel from Monday - meanwhile Scots are not trusted to be sensible by their Government.
We have had, throughout the pandemic, rather stricter rules than England. We have also had 70% of their per capita death rate. That's a deal I'm happy with.

Cheeky Girl

Visit site
The roads are actually very quiet. I am just back from a work related job at Felixstow and all the roads were quiet both ways, Thursday and Saturday: M74, M6, A66, A1(M) and all the A class roads leading to Felixstow. I have been to Argyle and Bute twice now, both times looking at Property, a permitted reason to travel, the roads are dead as of two weeks ago. From where I live, the bus to Edinburgh has people on it, I see them queuing at the bus stop almost every day.

If you have a permitted reason to travel, take your own food and drink. Public toilets in Inveraray are open, as are the petrol Station loos where I stopped. Fish and chip shop at Inverarary still sells to the public with a door side service desk and the garage outside Lochgilphead is still selling breakfast rolls, bacon butties etc to anyone who wants to pay. The Rest and Be Thankfull fast food van is contracted to the workers shoring up the valley sides, and will not sell to the public. Your money is good for business, some business's still want it.

As a by the the way. One of the properties I looked at, had an over the top offer put in on the day I looked at it, on condition the property be removed from the market and no other offers received. I didn't even get a chance to put an offer in. No idea if that is representative of the market for holiday homes or was a one off. It was in a desirable location.

We were going to look at a property in Gairloch and it was off the market withing 2 days of going on.
Buyer hadn't actually viewed it and offered way above asking price subject to actual viewing in two weeks time.
Buyer coming from down south
We not looking for a second home but a main home .

wully1

Visit site
We were going to look at a property in Gairloch and it was off the market withing 2 days of going on.
Buyer hadn't actually viewed it and offered way above asking price subject to actual viewing in two weeks time.
Buyer coming from down south
We not looking for a second home but a main home .

Id have told them to take a hike...unless I got a decent non refundable deposit and if someone turned up with the dosh in the meantime I’d sell to them. (But would in that instance return the deposit)
Things are crazy just now especially with boats - sold my last boat to the first viewer in a couple of days.

D

Deleted member 36384

Ummm, but if they had made the offer and had it accepted then surely it's a done deal? They are contractually bound whether they front a deposit or not is my understanding in Scots law, or do I have that wrong?

No that is wrong. In Scotland you still have to sign contracts but that is done after the the offer is accepted within a week or two, and not when the cash is transferred, which is the case in England. Until then either party can pull out. The contracts usually have caveats in them, subject to mortgage approval, subject to no issues legally, availability of water supply, land access etc. Once the contracts are signed, if everything is okay and either party pulls out, then the other party can sue for damages and losses. I have owned 7 houses in Scotland and seen a lot from having a person walk out after offer was accepted but before contracts were signed, nothing I could do; forcing a seller who agreed to to sell and signed contracts sort out deeds from what used to be a communal loft space but was not the living room, having a land owner sort out the water supply when it turned out, the last 10m of land that the pipe crossed was not owned by him.