Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

cherod

Visit site
I believe that the RYA are disseminating the information from the quango Sport Scotland. So they maybe working to push our needs behind the scenes, at least I hope they are.
They are taking their time , we will al be at sea before they come out from behind the establishment table .

D

Deleted member 36384

RYA Scotland's response to their members based on the Phase 2 announcement by the First Minister, partially quoted below. I think the RYA have been working harder to allow us to go sailing than is perhaps appreciated in this thread: -

............................. While much of the restrictions of Phase 1 remain in place, allowing those who have been shielding to begin to participate in outdoor activity is a welcome position which will undoubtedly bring more individuals back to boating. Being able to meet with up to two other households offers opportunities for a greater mix of crew aboard and it is increasingly feasible for training activity to be delivered. Most notably there is a concession on local informal competition which will please our racing oriented contingency.

As you might expect RYA Scotland has been working hard on your behalf in the background with the intention of securing the reduction of restrictions most affecting boating. Much of our efforts were rewarded in Phase 1 when it was RYA Scotland and the Scottish Canoe Association who successfully secured the inclusion of water sports in the allowable forms of exercise. Phase 2 has not been quite what we had hoped and I wanted to let you know what we have tried to secure albeit unsuccessfully.

In conjunction with a number of other sports and industry bodies we had asked that the current travel restrictions be eased to allow people to get to their boats. This has been returned with a very simple ‘no’. We are told that unrestricted travel is the single greatest risk of enabling the virus to jump from one community to another and is simply not up for debate until the medical and scientific advice support this easing.

We were fully expecting that Phase 2 would allow for clubs to open ‘ancillary facilities’ specifically from our perspective, toilets. We clarified this understanding and had prepared our guidance to reflect this. However, yesterday, this simply disappeared from the revised Routemap and subsequent clarification has confirmed that all club indoor facilities must remain closed until Phase 3. Again the medical and scientific advice remains that the transmission of the virus is much more likely indoors compared to outdoors and consequently club indoor facilities must remain closed.

We had also hoped that there would be scope for bar provision outdoors (beer gardens) and galley operations for takeaway, both being important sources of income for a number of clubs and centres but the announcement yesterday clarified that these are not available for now. The Scottish Government are looking into these options further and we will keep abreast of any developments for clubs.

RYA Scotland had specifically asked for consideration to be given to allowing overnight on board at anchor or on a mooring (which is not your own mooring). Despite providing considerable evidence that this would be a safe and limited extension for boating activity, we have been advised that overnight aboard is not permitted in Phase 2. Anchoring briefly for a break during the day continues to be acceptable.
We now expect that overnight aboard will only become available in Phase 3.
We have not been given an explanation but it was always a possibility that the perceived risk to remote communities and the different treatment of boating compared to other activities might affect this decision and we believe this may be the position. .............................

dunedin

Visit site
So travel restrictions lifted 3rd July. Don't even need to bend the rules after that,

Also on 3rd July, self catering accommodation and holiday homes, so that means you can stay on board.

Result. Also both a bit of a surprise after the 5-mile restriction unexpectedly being kept at the start of Phase 2.

I do believe that RYA and Sport Scotland have been lobbying hard on our behalf in the background.
And I have also been doing my own little bit, with a campaign across quite a few MSPs - Labour and Conservatives were supportive, but my SNP MSP seemed to want everything delayed to 15th July (or longer!), But I had a very prompt and considered reply personally from the Scottish Tourism minister, positive but clearly non committal ahead of any agreement in cabinet. I suspect he has been working hard behind the scenes to persuade Ms Sturgeon to be more flexible (this is reading between lines, not a definitive statement)

PS Been out so not had a chance to review in detail yet. Anything stated about access to Scottish Islands?

SaltIre

Visit site
Hurrah. Those of us with a spine, moral compass and social conscience will soon be able to travel more than 5 miles to our boats.
Those without the aforementioned qualities are the dregs of society...

SaltIre

Visit site
Well I would be up for it, the alternative is a decade of being told to piss off everytime you turn up somewhere interesting.
Nicky has us country folk properly frightened of this plague which is being carried round the country by the bold citizens of the central belt in boats and camper vans.
Interesting? Better get out of Ardrishaig quick! :ROFLMAO: