Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

dimdav

Visit site
This morning on the Clyde! :) I walk my dog every day here and this is the first time i've seen a non commercial vessel in 2 months! Things are slowing starting to get back to normal!
The boat on the right is, I believe, ocean spirit and is currently off kilmun in the Holy Loch, well according to marine traffic that is

FlyingGoose

Visit site
From My Marina to its Berth holders , I have even more respect for my Marina now, they have been positive in my fees and have also allowed me my own personnel parking space in the yard ,
So I cannot complain on their part, but I have seen Yatch Havens approach which is completely different to my Marinas guidelines ,and here is were the confusion starts and causes issues,
No one wants to do the wrong thing , we Just would like clarity and clear Rules and we will follow them,
If I can drive from Glasgow to Thurso to meet my Family who have an outside toilet I can use, independently from them , this is a journey of over 1000 miles and I am allowed, (example I have no family there )
Why can I not sail my boat to an inlet to stay the night. meeting no one, not spreading a virus I do not have and not inconveniencing anyone.
I appreciate the Islands are an Isolated place, and Would not travel to them not because the laws say I can not (which it does not again it is a guildline), because there is no such law, but out of respect ,
If I was sailing and needed through weather, failure, or other instances that might force us to seek shelter and the nearest is an Island I will drop anchor there ,
I also have 2 large dogs, they will need to go ashore to exercise and pee etc.
I would ensure that I went to an isolated place to do this not meeting a soul.
If we want to argue the law, the law states in most cases with the covid act reasonable this is the basis of the laws, It is reasonable to anchor safely , it is reasonable if for what ever reason to anchor off if needed , and it is reasonable to take you dogs to shore, as long as you follow social distancing,
This virus does not spread out doors, if the guidelines are followed, we are not stupid , we will follow social distancing , not go into shops, not meet others ,is that not sensible rather than flouting rules that confuse, create negative feelings between people , and create resentment ,
Have we not become something that we as a nation are not , a group of individual little hamlets with barriers up

Following from yesterday’s announcement that Scotland is moving to Phase 1 of the Coronavirus Route Map. We want to share with you our plans for operating the marina and boatyards, in line with government, healthy & safety guidelines, social distancing procedures and care and consideration for all on site, boat owners, visitors and our working teams together.

Of course there are some changes which these days I’m sure we’ve all now got used to and the principle of those is social distancing. We aren’t permitted to reopen our normal office functions and so our reception will simply be an information point operating with a strict one out and one in arrangement. If waiting outside please maintain 2 metre distancing.

Toilets and showers will be limited to 2 persons per gender area, if 2 people are already inside please be patient and wait outside the building in the entrance area, maintaining 2 metre distancing. The toilet and shower areas will be cleaned throughout the day, please give space for the cleaner to work.
Our boatyard and marina gate codes are all still active, but if possible please use your fobs to reduce keypad contact.
On the pontoons please be prepared to step to one side onto the berthing fingers to allow others to pass and please try to avoid crossing on the marina ramp. Also on the access ramp, if possible avoid common use of the handrails.
Please remember the advice, “Wash your hands regularly”
In the boatyard and hoist area, if we are moving your boat please give our team space and distance to work. We have new working methods to avoid shared use of tools, equipment and handling machinery and this together with safe distancing for our team may slow us down slightly, please be patient and give us the space to work. We’re afraid that it will not be possible to be aboard your boat during launching, if you wish to take your boat to it’s berth we will place it on the fuel berth for you to take over.
Marina water hoses: unfortunately under changes to the Water Regulatory Authorities instructions to marinas and harbours we are required to remove hoses from the marina water standpipes, I’m afraid this is over and above the COVID guidelines. It’s recommended now each boat should carry it’s own fresh water / drinking water hose on board and that hoses must not be left connected to the marina taps. Owners are recommended to drain and dry hoses after each use.
It’s important in the early phases of the easing of restrictions that as a sport or pastime we do not be a burden on back up and emergency services, that we be considerate of others, use our boats within our abilities and be sure that we don’t place extra strain on emergency services and the RNLI. We are attaching a list to jog your memory on maintenance and preparation for sea, the boats have been laid up for longer than usual and so please do check carefully before heading out for a sail.
But let’s welcome our return to Scotland’s stunning waters again.

mbroom

Visit site
From My Marina to its Berth holders , I have even more respect for my Marina now, they have been positive in my fees and have also allowed me my own personnel parking space in the yard ,
So I cannot complain on their part, but I have seen Yatch Havens approach which is completely different to my Marinas guidelines ,and here is were the confusion starts and causes issues,
No one wants to do the wrong thing , we Just would like clarity and clear Rules and we will follow them,
If I can drive from Glasgow to Thurso to meet my Family who have an outside toilet I can use, independently from them , this is a journey of over 1000 miles and I am allowed, (example I have no family there )
Why can I not sail my boat to an inlet to stay the night. meeting no one, not spreading a virus I do not have and not inconveniencing anyone.
I appreciate the Islands are an Isolated place, and Would not travel to them not because the laws say I can not (which it does not again it is a guildline), because there is no such law, but out of respect ,
If I was sailing and needed through weather, failure, or other instances that might force us to seek shelter and the nearest is an Island I will drop anchor there ,
I also have 2 large dogs, they will need to go ashore to exercise and pee etc.
I would ensure that I went to an isolated place to do this not meeting a soul.
If we want to argue the law, the law states in most cases with the covid act reasonable this is the basis of the laws, It is reasonable to anchor safely , it is reasonable if for what ever reason to anchor off if needed , and it is reasonable to take you dogs to shore, as long as you follow social distancing,
This virus does not spread out doors, if the guidelines are followed, we are not stupid , we will follow social distancing , not go into shops, not meet others ,is that not sensible rather than flouting rules that confuse, create negative feelings between people , and create resentment ,
Have we not become something that we as a nation are not , a group of individual little hamlets with barriers up

Following from yesterday’s announcement that Scotland is moving to Phase 1 of the Coronavirus Route Map. We want to share with you our plans for operating the marina and boatyards, in line with government, healthy & safety guidelines, social distancing procedures and care and consideration for all on site, boat owners, visitors and our working teams together.

Of course there are some changes which these days I’m sure we’ve all now got used to and the principle of those is social distancing. We aren’t permitted to reopen our normal office functions and so our reception will simply be an information point operating with a strict one out and one in arrangement. If waiting outside please maintain 2 metre distancing.

Toilets and showers will be limited to 2 persons per gender area, if 2 people are already inside please be patient and wait outside the building in the entrance area, maintaining 2 metre distancing. The toilet and shower areas will be cleaned throughout the day, please give space for the cleaner to work.
Our boatyard and marina gate codes are all still active, but if possible please use your fobs to reduce keypad contact.
On the pontoons please be prepared to step to one side onto the berthing fingers to allow others to pass and please try to avoid crossing on the marina ramp. Also on the access ramp, if possible avoid common use of the handrails.
Please remember the advice, “Wash your hands regularly”
In the boatyard and hoist area, if we are moving your boat please give our team space and distance to work. We have new working methods to avoid shared use of tools, equipment and handling machinery and this together with safe distancing for our team may slow us down slightly, please be patient and give us the space to work. We’re afraid that it will not be possible to be aboard your boat during launching, if you wish to take your boat to it’s berth we will place it on the fuel berth for you to take over.
Marina water hoses: unfortunately under changes to the Water Regulatory Authorities instructions to marinas and harbours we are required to remove hoses from the marina water standpipes, I’m afraid this is over and above the COVID guidelines. It’s recommended now each boat should carry it’s own fresh water / drinking water hose on board and that hoses must not be left connected to the marina taps. Owners are recommended to drain and dry hoses after each use.
It’s important in the early phases of the easing of restrictions that as a sport or pastime we do not be a burden on back up and emergency services, that we be considerate of others, use our boats within our abilities and be sure that we don’t place extra strain on emergency services and the RNLI. We are attaching a list to jog your memory on maintenance and preparation for sea, the boats have been laid up for longer than usual and so please do check carefully before heading out for a sail.
But let’s welcome our return to Scotland’s stunning waters again.
Clyde Marina?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Our boat launched today and sailed to it's harbour, Almost no wind so most of the delivery trip done with the motor. Pictures later i hope, waiting for our friend who took some from the shore while we were in transit.

One other small cruiser also launched from the slipway today. A few small mobo's out. Several kayaks and canoes. One couple came and took their wanderer out for a sail for an hour or so. Several people on the beach all maintaining safe distance, a few swimming in the sea.

Chippy open for our fish supper before we came home.

Coastguard pickup truck touring about keeping an eye one goings on.

Last edited:

stevie69p

Visit site
Well I’m hearing a few reports of boats out on the water. I’ve a few jobs to do but hope to be out soon. ?

I hope that you all are out having fun. How’s the wind?

Not much wind on the Clyde but had enough to mostly sail. Cracking day. Great to be back out on the water.

SaltIre

Visit site
Boats are not holiday homes, and has never been tested in court, so if you want to stay on your boat ask the Marina why you cannot, do so.
Also challenge them on time limits, if I do not go to sleep am I sleeping on my boat , must I Be off my boat at midnight , what if I fall asleep by accident
I am disabled ,so travelling back and forward each day is out of the question , does the Discrimination act 2010 for reasonable adjustments apply
Can I access my boat at 2 am and stay on it

There lies the problems and is a mine field. this question about boats and sleeping over has been asked for weeks now from RYA MCA to government and no one gives an answer, because it is not unlawful. it is not in the statuary covid act 2020. marinas and harbour masters are making it up ,
Who is policing this no one,
People do not like the truth as long as they get to their we boats stuff the person needing to drive 200 miles I do not care ,i Do not care about the disabled either , shameful
Clearly you make your own decisions , but I follow to law
Stand by your rights
Why not just learn to behave like a responsible member of the community? Or does your "I'm an Aspie" badge give you a get out clause as an excuse?

SaltIre

Visit site
I can't seem to find a link to the updated legislation for Scotland. Note 'legislation', not guidance, advice, etc. I've already seen some nonsense posted on a facebook sailing group in relation to these new 'rules' and surpise surprise, the author was quickly shot down in flames for making out that most people would not be able to go to their boats. From here on in, I am following the legislation, as written, and applying my own common sense in relation to what, if any, risk I am taking or posing to others. The same dynamic risk assessment techniques that I use in the rest of my life and when at work. If the numpties need every last thing spelled out for them, then let them sit at home and suck it up, but I am going sailing, will be anchoring out overnight and sleeping on board.
So is guidance there for others to follow then?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Picture has arrived.

IMG_20200530_170337286_optimized.thumb.jpg.8aa3aebd39c3fe89820bb6b8d6982f6e.jpg

Hardly a breath of wind, I think we were motoring at that point.

Poor mobile phone photo.

SaltIre

Visit site
Guidance is supposed to help us understand and abide by the LAW.

The problems start when the guidance is DIFFERENT to the law. It is the LAW you must abide, so if the guidance differs to the law that's when people start to ignore it.
I see - thanks. Surely when loved-ones lives are at risk, responsible citizens follow the safer of the two choices. Or do others simply do what avoids prosecution, no matter what happens to others?

We have been asked to remain within 5 miles of our homes for Public Health reasons, and only travel further if essential - food, work, medications etc.
I don't consider going sailing essential - although I would dearly love to do so.
You are very lucky your boat is less than 5 miles away - as are those who live in Largs & Troon and can reasonably access their boats there.

stevie69p

Visit site
So is guidance there for others to follow then?
No, guidance is for everyone; however it's just that... GUIDANCE. I will listen to it and then reflect on whether it applies in the particular situation I am faced with.
If the lawmakers want that guidance, advice, etc., to be binding then incorporate it into the relevant legislation. It come across at times that they are making stuff up on the hoof, picking random numbers (5 miles?) from thin air. Does driving 10 miles in my car increase my risk of catching or passing on this virus? Does driving 20? Not really. By a very tiny margin maybe. If I've fueled the car once a week, do grocery shopping once a week, reducing risks by keeping away from larger groups of people, I think I am managing my own risks better than some arbitrary number. Anyhoo... I'm anchored in the middle of a loch with enough food and water on board for a month and with good 4G access, so I'm quite happy keeping away from others in my own wee space. No need to go ashore, so hopefully the locals won't row out to me with any pitchforks ;)

SaltIre

Visit site
No, guidance is for everyone; however it's just that... GUIDANCE. I will listen to it and then reflect on whether it applies in the particular situation I am faced with.
If the lawmakers want that guidance, advice, etc., to be binding then incorporate it into the relevant legislation. It come across at times that they are making stuff up on the hoof, picking random numbers (5 miles?) from thin air. Does driving 10 miles in my car increase my risk of catching or passing on this virus? Does driving 20? Not really. By a very tiny margin maybe. If I've fueled the car once a week, do grocery shopping once a week, reducing risks by keeping away from larger groups of people, I think I am managing my own risks better than some arbitrary number. Anyhoo... I'm anchored in the middle of a loch with enough food and water on board for a month and with good 4G access, so I'm quite happy keeping away from others in my own wee space. No need to go ashore, so hopefully the locals won't row out to me with any pitchforks ;)
We are allowed to disagree.(y)
Good luck - I hope you aren't responsible for too many of the deaths. Maybe you share that hope. Maybe you don't.

Minchsailor

Visit site
Does driving 10 miles in my car increase my risk of catching or passing on this virus? Does driving 20? Not really. By a very tiny margin maybe.

It doesn't make much difference to you, but it does increase the possibility (probability?) that you take the virus into a region which currently has a low concentration.

Living in England (but boat in NW Scotland) it is in my very humble opinion that one (of the multitude) of errors that Johnson has made is in allowing people to drive anywhere in the UK - it would have been much better if had limited to, say 25 miles, then gradually incremented that.