Scotland can go sailing on 28th May?

FlyingGoose

Visit site
It all makes complete sense to me and my Marina , which is launching as of Thursday , but the office remains closed.
If it helps I am going to my boat which stayed in over the winter,
I have denied myself a visit even though the marina remained open to key holders, as the Journey was not necessary
I an now going to the boat to do some essential maintenance ,like turn the bilge pump on and charge batteries, clean etc,
I will not sail away probably until phase 2 comes into play , Just by choice , no rules
My boat is far from anyone , no one likes me :LOL:
I will use my own trolly and wash my hands straight after using the keypad,
I do not have the virus as I have not left the house in 80 days
I will remain vigilant to social distancing and avoid all contact with anyone who wants a hug,
My car will be filled with fuel locally anyways as my wife needs to go to supermarkets and chemists weekly, so fuel is needed no matter what,
I will lay land mines around my boat to deter those that are not following social distancing.
I will leave said boat the way I entered her , with stealth and armed with alcohol gel to wash hands after
I will enter car and drive home and hopefully not meet another soul ,
There lies common sense in which our Government has asked for , if common sense eludes you , then do not go.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I thought I was not that easy to confuse but then I read this thread.
My boat is ashore in the club yard across the road and almost 100 yards from my house. (In Scotland)
I would like to walk over there, wash the decks and wax the hull, perhaps even replace the covers.
It seems unlikely that we might launch this summer so none of it urgent or essential, but it would keep me amused.
The location is exposed to view of anyone in the village main street.
Ignoring common sense which is easy for me having very little.
On what date or easement stage does Nicky concede that I can I do this ?
I think you could make a case that it's permitted under the current rules, as it seems very much the same sort of thing as working on an allotment which is apparently fine, although the official advice is curious unwilling to commit itself one way or the other. Friends of mine with an allotment in Edinburgh have been using it without incident, although I gather the holders jointly put up a fence to shield them from comments by passers-by. You could certainly do the work if your boat was in your garden and the travel involved is minimal.

Phase 1, due on Thursday, includes

Seeing family and friends: we are planning in this phase to change regulations to permit people to use public outdoor spaces for recreational purposes, for example to sit in a public space.

but that may be irrelevant as your boatyard is not a public outdoor space. Other Edinburgh friends with a shared garden in the middle of the crescent where they live have been able from the start to use it as much as they want and for anything they want - perhaps a private boatyard 100 yds from your house is more like that?

In your position I would probably contact the local rozzers and ask "Would you be bothered if I crossed the road to work alone on my boat in the locked yard for a few hours?" because I don't think you are going to get anything explicitly appropriate from the official rules.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Well easy for you 100 yards from your boat. Less so for anybody over 5 miles away
I don't expect to get back to my boat in the yard at Port Bannatyne till Phase 3. I had hopes of launching the Hunter 490 before then on Loch Ken, ten miles away, but although I think I could probably get there, launch and sail, the centre from which I hire my mooring is closed until Phase 3, so I think I'm stuffed till then.

dunedin

Visit site
I don't expect to get back to my boat in the yard at Port Bannatyne till Phase 3. I had hopes of launching the Hunter 490 before then on Loch Ken, ten miles away, but although I think I could probably get there, launch and sail, the centre from which I hire my mooring is closed until Phase 3, so I think I'm stuffed till then.

Whilst I support most of Ms Sturgeon’s Covid plans, doesn’t it seem a bit extreme that you could (according to the guidelines, if not the Cummings principle) be prevented from going 10 miles to Loch Ken for a solo sail for 12 weeks (and say Loch Lomond being prevented a full 15 weeks), whereas an equally diligent sailor from Manchester could travel to say Windermere after just 7 weeks. So we suffer more than TWICE as long (an extra 8 weeks).
I expect that English and NI yachts will soon be arriving in Scottish waters, so only the Scots are restricted from sailing our own seas.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Whilst I support most of Ms Sturgeon’s Covid plans, doesn’t it seem a bit extreme that you could (according to the guidelines, if not the Cummings principle) be prevented from going 10 miles to Loch Ken for a solo sail for 12 weeks (and say Loch Lomond being prevented a full 15 weeks), whereas an equally diligent sailor from Manchester could travel to say Windermere after just 7 weeks. So we suffer more than TWICE as long (an extra 8 weeks).
It's certainly frustrating, but them's the breaks. By the way, I think I could go sailing in Loch Ken from this Thursday - the additional limitation is only because the centre where I have my mooring has to wait longer. There are other possibilities, which I shall investigate.

I expect that English and NI yachts will soon be arriving in Scottish waters, so only the Scots are restricted from sailing our own seas.
Police Scotland are turning back caravans on the M74 and - I believe - giving any who make it along the A75 to Dumfries the chance to spend one night in the Tesco car park there and then head south again ... or else. I wonder if any equivalent vigilance will be shown towards visiting yachts.

CapPugwash

Visit site
I spoke to the marina, who are always very pleasant and helpful. They said they are waiting for clarification of the rules this week. They expressed concern about the 5 mile travel rule and also about ClydePort allowing traffic on the Clyde. They expect the no-overnighting rule to apply as per England.

I checked the ClydePort website but there was no updates since March.

stevie69p

Visit site
I spoke to the marina, who are always very pleasant and helpful. They said they are waiting for clarification of the rules this week. They expressed concern about the 5 mile travel rule and also about ClydePort allowing traffic on the Clyde. They expect the no-overnighting rule to apply as per England.

I checked the ClydePort website but there was no updates since March.
There are no current Notices to Mariners that I have been able to find that relate to leisure boating being disallowed. Hopefully by Friday we will be able to get out for a sail.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
There is no law for the closing of open water like the Clyde estuary,
Clyde port can not stop you unless a law comes into place,
were do people get this paranoid nonsense from.
There also has been no mention of sleeping on your boats
My Marina is opening and most along the Clyde are to get boats in, were are these boat going as a lot of them have summer moorings,
perhaps I am talking poo , but at least I understand the guidelines
There IS NO 5 MILES rule , IT IS A GUIDELINE
Guidelines are a request not an order, there is no basis in Law For guidelines as there is no travel limit.
Do we honesty think that if you live near to your boat , a hill a river etc then its ok you guys can go out, but if you live in the estates of Glasgow you cannot get to the river for a fish , a Kayak or a hill walk, Hence no 5 miles limit because it discriminates far to many people

D

Deleted member 36384

There is no law for the closing of open water like the Clyde estuary,
Clyde port can not stop you unless a law comes into place,

There are regulations based on Statutory Instruments pertaining to the Royal Navy facilities, in particular the Gareloch. The regulations prohibiting trans through Rhu Narrows. There is a traffic Light system in place and regulations that allow penalties to be issued to those who do not have a good reason for complying with the restrictions. The regulations apply to all vessels and do not differentiate between leisure, private, commercial or size.

According to Silvers, the lights are on prohibiting movement and the area is being patrolled to ensure no vessels enter. I can imagine that land based entry is pretty controlled, so in a pandemic that could effect personal associated with our nuclear deterrent, closing the seaward side would make sense. When the time comes, I will contact the control station and verify if I can move from Roseneath and pass through Rhu narrows.

The Clyde Dockyard Port of Gareloch and Loch Long Order 2011, UK Statutory Instruments 2011 No. 1680

Temporary Restrictions on Navigation within the Rhu Narrows Restricted Channel

2.—(1) Where it is necessary for any naval vessel and/or auxiliary to proceed to or from a Crown Establishment or to be turned, moved, berthed or docked within the dockyard port, the Queen’s harbour master may direct that no person shall:

(a)enter, pass through or remain in the Rhu Narrows Restricted Channel;

(b)cause or permit any vessel or thing to enter, pass through or remain in the Rhu Narrows Restricted Channel.

(2) Where any such direction is made, notice of the direction—

(a)shall be broadcast by the Queen’s harbour master on VHF channel 73 from time to time during the period in which the direction is in force, and

(b)shall be indicated by the illumination of a red light above two green lights supplemented by a red rectangular flag with a white diagonal bar displayed on any naval vessel or auxiliary within the Rhu Narrows Restricted Channel and at masts at the following locations:

(i)the Port Control Building at Faslane;

(ii)Rhu Hard;

(iii)the DG Range building adjacent to Green Isle; and

(iv)the Navy Buildings, Greenock.

FlyingGoose

Visit site
There are regulations based on Statutory Instruments pertaining to the Royal Navy facilities, in particular the Gareloch. The regulations prohibiting trans through Rhu Narrows. There is a traffic Light system in place and regulations that allow penalties to be issued to those who do not have a good reason for complying with the restrictions. The regulations apply to all vessels and do not differentiate between leisure, private, commercial or size.

According to Silvers, the lights are on prohibiting movement and the area is being patrolled to ensure no vessels enter. I can imagine that land based entry is pretty controlled, so in a pandemic that could effect personal associated with our nuclear deterrent, closing the seaward side would make sense. When the time comes, I will contact the control station and verify if I can move from Roseneath and pass through Rhu narrows.

The Clyde Dockyard Port of Gareloch and Loch Long Order 2011, UK Statutory Instruments 2011 No. 1680
This is a small area pertaining to a strait of water that involves a Nuclear powered submarine carrying weapons of mass destruction, and nothing really to do with a virus , nor I Suspect a boat Passing through will have any chance of causing a risk to spreading a virus , unless it can spread across 500 m of open water with the right wind,
and has been in place since Faslane was there , have sailed many times passed Faslane, in my youth and as an adult and have never been stopped by the police boats nor even picked up on the VHF , there are restrictions on all charts and buoys to mark it , if one wants to enter this part of the water I am sure the virus is the least of their worries ,
As I Said access to the water is a right in this land and cannot be shut off unless legislation pertains to it , which their is none. Maritime rules apply in open channels and water outwith control of harbour authorities and ports

D

Deleted member 36384

I don't think you are right about Rhu Narrows, you can be stopped from entering, legally.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hmm. That starts "2.—(1) Where it is necessary for any naval vessel and/or auxiliary to proceed to or from a Crown Establishment or to be turned, moved, berthed or docked within the dockyard port, the Queen’s harbour master may direct that no person shall: ..."

So I wonder if they have any authority to close the narrow when they are not (to paraphrase) playing around with their toys of mass destruction. On the other hand, that might be a fine point to discuss with a rib full of modplod.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I don't think you are right about Rhu Narrows, you can be stopped from entering, legally.
You can only be kept out of the restricted channel as defined in the SI. There is plenty of room for a small vessel to enter or leave to the west of that:

7yf1fqQ.png

stevie69p

Visit site
There is a restricted channel through the Rhu Narrows, but there is space either side of it with enough depth for a yacht to get through; that said... I have been approached by the MiB (men in black) in their rib when a ship has been coming down Gareloch and been requested to stand off. I'm not sure what rights they would have had had I chosen to go outside the channel, but since I was just out for a jolly, I was happy enough just to kill some time. Passing Coulport is the same. Prohibited area near to the covered dock and restricted area further out, and narrow stretch of water beyond that to pass through. Hopefully, come Friday it will all be a moot point and "thou shall pass!"