Scimitar 21ft Saro one design

TSB240

Visit site
Afternoon All,

We're getting on with our 2 Scimitar restorations.

Has anybody fitted a small outboard to their scimitar, something like a 2.5 hp for emergency use or even for using from mooring to jetty?

If so, how/where was your mounting bracket? Looking at the transom position I'm not sure if there is room for the outboard to tilt up on out of the way when not in use. (We'd prefer to keep the outboard permanently on the bracket ready for use if needed)

FYI; these boats are going to be use with Disabled and Vulnerable group hence having the an outboard ready for use will be helpful.

Thanks
Matt
Matt Look closely at having an electric outboard. The Torquedo is pricey but has an excellent reputation. You will probably be forced to go electric given your sailing location. I assume this is for a get you home in flat calm conditions that can occur in your non tidal location.
Certainly two strokes are a no no. Fitting a 4 stroke on the stern is possible but not easy to operate. Electric can be remote controlled.
We still have the bolt on side bracket that is a Saro original supply. They are a bit cumber some to fit and carry but make operation of an outboard much easier than one mounted on the stern.
An alternative would be to have a cross beam board with an outboard mounted on one end. This could be lashed down across the boat behind the snubbing winches.

Cheapest option is a single sweep oar and a single rowlock. Early days of Scimitar was "Seagull era". We found a good long single sweep would allow a boat to be moved against a 3 knot tide when the seagull was probably more useful as an anchor! Needs an able person swinging on the oar and someone else steering. We used a more reliable 2hp evinrude twin two stroke in later years. It took us three hours to go two miles against the spring tide at Menai Bridges! Stern mounting with a heavy four stroke will slow your boat down horribly when sailing.

Matt J

Visit site
Afternoon All,

Any recommendations for where I can get a replacement Mast for the Scimitar? Probably going through insurance so can be brand new.

Thanks
Matt

AlmazAndy

Visit site
Hi all!
I just got a Saro Scimitar 21, registered in year 1964. Still needs some work on the surfaces, but I hope to have it ready to sail the Solent as soon as possible.
Is there any owner of one of these that can share experience with the boat?

cheers!
Hi Carina

I've just joined the forum and see that there is quite a bit of chat about Sara Scimitars which is great!
I have one, currently moored on the Hamble so I guess you and I are close?
Rather than ramble on here, I thought I might direct you (and any other Scimitar owners maybe?) to a little webpage I've built about my boat:
Yacht Almaz | 29splash
Once all the Covid stuff has passed, it would be good to meet up and swap stories if you like?
In the meantime, happy to chit-chat about all things Scimitar :)
Best
Andy

creeks

Visit site
I raced a Scimitar called Seafay for a season in Conwy in 1972 I think. I can't remember her sail number. She was lent to me by her owner who had two of them. This photo shows her parked outside the yacht club - we were manually pushing her from the owner's house to launch her in the river and when we were passing the club we realised the bar had just opened so we stopped for a pint or two. Unfortunately the Commodore arrived whilst we were enjoying our pints, he was not at all amused and told us in no uncertain terms to move her.

There was a small fleet of Scimitars racing in Conway at that time and some of the names of the others were Adams Apple, Caliph, and Mercedes, but again I have no sail numbers.

C653389C-F951-4A9C-8A1A-842DEEBFBC69.jpeg

Matt J

Visit site
Evening All,

We're getting pretty close to finishing the first of the 2 Scimitar restorations we've had going on, and are about to start advertising to the school groups we're targeting..... HOWEVER; we're kind of short of photos of a Scimitar in the water actually been sailed - until we have finished our and get them out (but we'd like to send out marketing before then).

Does anybody have any photos of Scimitars out on the water you wouldn't mind us using for a while until we can get our own photos?
If you have something we could use please can you email; info@breninadventures.co.uk

Thanks
Matt

TSB240

Visit site
Evening All,

We're getting pretty close to finishing the first of the 2 Scimitar restorations we've had going on, and are about to start advertising to the school groups we're targeting..... HOWEVER; we're kind of short of photos of a Scimitar in the water actually been sailed - until we have finished our and get them out (but we'd like to send out marketing before then).

Does anybody have any photos of Scimitars out on the water you wouldn't mind us using for a while until we can get our own photos?
If you have something we could use please can you email; info@breninadventures.co.uk

Thanks
Matt
I may be able to find some very old black and white prints of our original boat and the fleet off Beamaris in the 60s. I will try and find them.

Meanwhile explore this link to a Facebook group that is currently adapting a Scimitar for use by less able people. They are based at the Conway centre at Plas Newydd on Anglesey.

https://m.facebook.com/groups/153522182027642/permalink/329722251074300/
Those of you with good eyesight will notice how the jib is sheeted. We used to have to thread the jib sheet through the shrouds to get the best performance out of the No 1 jib outside the front lower inside the cap and outside the rear lower.

Last edited:

Yachtsman77

Visit site
I bought SHASHKA in January last year, Hull no. 71 and sail no. 76 built by Gloster Saro Ltd Beaumaris Registered no. 921055. She had been effectively abandoned and I wanted to save her from the chain saw. She was re-launched in the Medway earlier this month. When acquired she had engine beds and a stern tube but nothing else. She now has a Yanmar 1GM10. It has been a relief to find this thread as I was beginning to think I was the only owner! I see that someone was offering copies of builder's drawings and of a trailer which I should like to see, but being a new member I have yet to work out out to make contact.
My uncle used to own Shashka. I sailed her a few times about 35 years ago, and have a photo you might like. Please send me a PM for more info.

Visit site
Hello to all Scimitar people,

I own Sunshine, serial number 7, hull number 5, sail number 4. Don't ask me to explain why, but this is not the only Scimitar with different numbers. Sunshine is unusual since she was converted to gaff rig with a bowsprit in the early eighties by Chris Libby. He cut away the coaming and replaced the moulded part with wood, moved the mast step forward and also extended the front of the keel and moved the rudder further back. So she's quite a bit different from the standard boats. She's lived on St Michael's Mount, the Dart, Holland, the Norfolk Broads, and now on the river Erdre just north of Nantes in France. I sail her a lot, and have been getting very good results in classic boat regattas. As Chris said, she's a witch.

I have put together a spreadsheet of all the Scimitars I've found trace of. I've added 25 and 53 Tryphena, but without any details, so please let me have any photos, drawings or other bits of their history. I'm not trying to take over the class history, since others may have already done this, it just felt like a useful basis.

If anyone is near here any time, do get in touch and come for a sail. If you want to bring your boat as well, I can offer bed and board, and the use of the club's crane to get you afloat.

Very happy to have found this new thread with people who are interested.

David
One at Treluggan Boatyard, Landrake Cornwall. Name, Clementine

Visit site
Thank you for that. Any contact details for the owner ? Any idea of the boat's number or history ?
Owner called Chris??, we call him dipstick! As far as memory recalls, turned up in the yard, probably 2008 ish after being sunk. Previous owner turned up and claimed it but costs of raising and storage proved too much. Previous owners of boatyard had ideas of racing it but never came to fruition. Will try to find out more for you.

Visit site
Well if you're near me anytime, please get in touch and come and have a sail. Sunshine's a lot of fun with all that extra sail area and bits of string to play with !5688FE5F-3DF9-486A-8829-DAE763621EFB_1_105_c.jpeg

Rappey

Visit site
Rescued tinker from being scrapped. In two tides I managed to remove at least 3 years of crud , antifoul and paint topsides.
I have two main sails but no jib.. am looking.
It came with beaching legs and outboard bracket.
Never had so many people stop to chat and admire a boat !

Attachments

• 1623520518647393980372.jpg
    1623520518647393980372.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 1623520598767-1118736638.jpg
    1623520598767-1118736638.jpg
    273.2 KB · Views: 20
  • 1623520634999-1437082462.jpg
    1623520634999-1437082462.jpg
    447.9 KB · Views: 19

Visit site
Owner called Chris??, we call him dipstick! As far as memory recalls, turned up in the yard, probably 2008 ish after being sunk. Previous owner turned up and claimed it but costs of raising and storage proved too much. Previous owners of boatyard had ideas of racing it but never came to fruition. Will try to find out more for you.
If you were to e-mail info@trelugganboatyard.co.uk and ask it to be forwarded to Chris Wickett, I am sure you would get a response.

Visit site
Here are some photos of the jibs I have spare. I had a new suit made last year, so the only one I'd like to keep is the storm jib. I'll take measurements for you when I get home. Please note that although Sunshine's rig is not at all standard for a Scimitar, these are standard Scimitar sails so they will fit your boat. The drawing shows the original rig and the modified gaff rig at the same scale. Gaff power !
Capture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.08.20.pngCapture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.08.04.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.07.41.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.07.00.jpgRegelspiel Uli Finckh Capture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.06.44.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.06.33.jpgCapture d’écran 2021-06-20 à 11.06.15.jpg