Schooner "Captain Scott"

alan006

Visit site
Schooner \"Captain Scott\"

Does anyone know what happened to this fine schooner. I crewed on her 1975. She was based near Fort William and took about 30 trainees at a time for a month of sailing and exploring the Scottish Isles. She was a lovely ship and I think that soon after I was on her, she was sold and went to Oman.
One memory I have of that trip was we ran aground at Barra and as the tide went out we sat over at a steep angle till we floated off next tide....the skipper was very calm about it, he was following the tennis at Wimbledon. Looking back on it I realise that all us youngsters were reasured by the relaxed attitude of the skipper, after all if he had time to follow the tennis we couldn't be in danger ( clever old boy).
I wonder if anyone else here remembers her /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

dombuckley

Visit site
Re: Schooner \"Captain Scott\"

She went to Oman, and is now their naval sail training ship. Re-rigged as a barquentine, she is kept in fine fettle and has taken part in many Tall Ships races , and was actually back here for the Portsmouth Festival of the Sea in 2004.
012453.jpg

alan006

Visit site

You don't happen to know what her name is now? I assume her name has changed.
Thanks.

Grajan

Visit site

I think I might have some photos of her on the stocks at Herd and McKenzie's where she was built if you would like copies please pm me

myranni

Visit site

I was on it in 1974, I knew it had been sold to the Middle East but thought I had read somewhere that it had been destroyed in a fire. Glad to see it is still sailing, it was a great experience that I will never forget, The skipper was Victor Clarke who only died last year in his 90's, he got married in his 60's and had 2 children he was quite a character, I read his books about his 5 years sailing round the world and his time in the navy.

David Flinn

Visit site
Hi, I was also a student on the Captain Scott in Nov 1972 off the Western Isles of Scotland and Victor was the skipper. At the end of the 'trip' I was awarded a pennant, red ensign, for best student and have it to this day, proudly displayed in my office. I would love to research the history of the pennant. I think it was previously on a round the world yacht journey but wish I could know more. It was well worn in 1972 with loose threads and losing colour. Maj Gen Nelson wrote to me on 28 Jan 1973 congratulating me. Anyone with leads for me to follow on the history of the pennant? Many thanks