Schengen entry procedure

westhinder

Visit site
For those of you who post-Corona want to sail to the continental fleshpots, here is an update.
Yachts coming from the U.K. (or any other third country) and sailing to Belgium (or any other Schengen country) are required to register online before arrival and to notify border police when they leave the Schengen area. You can find the electronic form here
www.police.be/bordercontrol/en/pleasure-craft-declaration

Cantata

Visit site
That looks reasonable. And why the heck do UK boats returning home have to fill out a form and post it?! Yes, a bit of paper, an envelope and a stamp?!

westhinder

Visit site
That looks reasonable. And why the heck do UK boats returning home have to fill out a form and post it?! Yes, a bit of paper, an envelope and a stamp?!
That is not my understanding. You can use the online form, and it is positively encouraged if I read correctly. But there is still the possibility to use paper forms.

westhinder

Visit site
What does "that all transit passengers will continue the travel" mean? What if there is a crew change?

I assume that after the form is completed you still need to get a passport stamp by attending an office?
I don’t know if there is provision for crew changes, we’ll have to find out. The same goes for passport. I know my Belgian ID-card will be accepted in the U.K. until September, from October I will need a passport to enter the U.K. and I will have to find out whether it will have to be stamped.
So far I have only bothered once with the Schengen form, although in principle we always had to use it as the U.K. was never a part of the Schengen zone, and I seem to remember we had to make an appointment for the border police to come and check us on the pontoon before we left. I will have to find out if that still applies

nortada

Visit site
I don’t know if there is provision for crew changes, we’ll have to find out. The same goes for passport. I know my Belgian ID-card will be accepted in the U.K. until September, from October I will need a passport to enter the U.K. and I will have to find out whether it will have to be stamped.
So far I have only bothered once with the Schengen form, although in principle we always had to use it as the U.K. was never a part of the Schengen zone, and I seem to remember we had to make an appointment for the border police to come and check us on the pontoon before we left. I will have to find out if that still applies

My understanding, if you have residency in the country you are leaving or arriving at, you will not need to get your passport stamped.

Tons of information in Liveaboard Link.

michael_w

Visit site
As far as I can see, the main problem is leaving the Schengen area and stopping 'the clock', so you don't use up the stingy allowance unnecessarily.

Poignard

Visit site
Does anyone know what the procedure will be for someone like me (a UK resident) whose boat has been based in France for the past seven years during which time she has not left French waters?

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
Does anyone know what the procedure will be for someone like me (a UK resident) whose boat has been based in France for the past seven years during which time she has not left French waters?
[I meant to "quote", not like!]
For you, Schengen visa/entry permit, 90 days max every 180 days. I assume you will drive/fly so that takes care of immigration.
The boat will be treated as EU VAT paid (keep your receipt for 31/12/20 mooring) so I'm thinking that you will have to pay UK VAT if you want to take it back to UK.

Poignard

Visit site
[I meant to "quote", not like!]
For you, Schengen visa/entry permit, 90 days max every 180 days. I assume you will drive/fly so that takes care of immigration.
The boat will be treated as EU VAT paid (keep your receipt for 31/12/20 mooring) so I'm thinking that you will have to pay UK VAT if you want to take it back to UK.
Thanks.

Ningaloo

yacht-primal.com
If you would like to be in France for more than 90 days, there are extended visas available here French Visa Forms
However note that this must be applied for (possibly in person) at a Consulate outside France before you arrive and that you cannot use these extensions until you have used your "normal" 90 Schengen days. Probably works well for 2nd home owners in France but not so good for nomadic yachties.
It is interesting that (as far as I know) France is the only country to have changed their visa rules (or at least their website) to include UK.
These visa extensions are usually offered where a bi-lateral agreement has been reached between the two countries. If you look at the ETIAS website for New Zealand you will see that there are many countries that they have a bi-lateral agreement with. I am wondering if France is being pragmatic here and recognising:
1) that there are many UK citizens who want to spend time (and money) in France for 2nd homes, boats etc
2) that French (and indeed all EU) citizens get 180/365 days "visa free" in UK
The 2nd point could be interpreted in such a way as to mean that the visa extension offered by France is an equivalence to what their citizens get in UK.
Lets hope that other countries go the same way, or even better offer the same sort of extension without jumping through the hoops that the French visa required.

Poignard

Visit site
At the moment my yacht is physically in the EU but has never been officially 'entered'; since there was no requirement to do so whilst the UK was an EU Member State. As far as the French authorities are concerned, she is not there.

In order to regularise the situation, will I now have to go through the process of 'entering' her at a French port of entry?

Ningaloo

yacht-primal.com
In order to regularise the situation, will I now have to go through the process of 'entering' her at a French port of entry?
No because your boat will now be treated as EU VAT paid. All you need to do is keep your mooring receipt (and I'd suggest a few dated photos) for 31/13/20.

Your problems arise if you return the boat to the UK after 31/12/21 as you'll have to pay UK VAT if you do.