Scattering Ashes

Time Out

Visit site
Saw two pleasure boats today perform two services between Ravens Ait and Harts.

The same happened a couple of weeks ago, is this a new revenue stream ? No pun intended!

Genuine question!

Lower Limit 1909

Visit site
It's been an established practice for years all along the length of the river (but is not permitted within 1KM upstream of any water extraction points).

Between Raven's Ait and Harts is a popular location.

It may be happening more frequently at the moment as the service could not be provided during lockdown so there is some catching up to do.

Sometimes happens off the bridges as well.

shades

Visit site
“Ash Cash“ has been a thing for several years now.
You have to be a minimum distance away from extraction points, for obvious reasons

Old Crusty

Visit site
Saw two pleasure boats today perform two services between Ravens Ait and Harts.

The same happened a couple of weeks ago, is this a new revenue stream ? No pun intended!

Genuine question!

The steamer operators have been doing this for years. It's become popular amongst some religious groups notably Hindus. I've seen dozens in the weir stream at Boveney and fielded several complaints about it but ash is sterile and water treatment companies pump far worse into the Thames.

Rappey

Visit site
I've done 3 ash scatterings in the solent over the years .
The worst part was having to pay £14 just to land at gunwharf to collect people..

Time Out

Visit site
It's been an established practice for years all along the length of the river (but is not permitted within 1KM upstream of any water extraction points).

Between Raven's Ait and Harts is a popular location.

It may be happening more frequently at the moment as the service could not be provided during lockdown so there is some catching up to do.

Sometimes happens off the bridges as well.

Apologies I meant Ravens and Thames Ditton. Old water works basically.

I have seen the odd one over the years but not two in a matter of hours !

As you say, maybe a backlog.

PilotWolf

Visit site
Done a couple as crew and also arrived at one port and a crew member came up to me to say he thought we’d had a fire as there was ash all down the side of the boat - I guess a passenger hadn’t allowed for the way the air followed around the Boat!

Makes me think of the Only Fools and Horses episode...

W.

38mess

Visit site
We've been doing it for years. We did one yesterday funnily enough. As pilot wolf says, you need to make sure you take the wind direction into account. Last year a sudden gust when the widow was pouring her husband over the side blew him back over everyone and the boat.
I'll never get rid of him she said. ?

Old Crusty

Visit site
While duty helm at BRNC Dartmouth, I took a funeral party out to Start Bay to scatter the ashes of a late senior naval officer.

It was a damp blustery day and as the widow took the lid off the urn and scattered the ash, a gust caught it, blew it all over the wet hull and it stuck to the cabin and decks.

Instead of floating in the briny for eternity, much of the old chap was hosed off into Sandquay Creek, not that he'll care.

Mushroom2

Visit site
As we’re on to war stories……(no boats but water is involved).

Many moons ago as a wet behind the ears but keen helicopter pilot I was tasked to take a party over the sea off the North Norfolk coast to scatter the ashes of a well known local.

Trundling slowly down the coast at 50 feet with a couple of relatives and a priest down the back (how all that got approved I’ve no idea but it was the early 70’s) it came time in the ceremony to scatter the ashes so I had the bright idea of slowing to the hover.

The subsequent shower of ash that came straight back into the cabin showed this was not one of my better decisions.

Fortunately for me and my crew, this being a military SAR aircraft, the cabin had a thick plastic liner so it was an easy job to hose the ash out later.

Old Crusty

Visit site
And for all eternity he now telephones Commander (T) to complain about the standard of boat handling?

Given the inept boat handling and collisions I witnessed caused by the Iranian cadets, it remains a mystery how their navy can function at all.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
We scattered my father's ashes from the back of my boat in mid Channel between Alderney and the Isle of Wight. A calm day with a mirror flat sea, he went down into the green but clear depths in an ever expanding cloud. Rather wonderful to see.

dulls

N/A
Visit site
Apologies I meant Ravens and Thames Ditton. Old water works basically.

I have seen the odd one over the years but not two in a matter of hours !

As you say, maybe a backlog.
Thousands are dying per day of Covid in Britain according to the media. So yes there will be extra ash bashes.

oldgit

Visit site
Reduced the numbers on our boat to six .
Ashes are those of the last surviving member of my mothers rather large family.
Being scattered near a beach the six girls used to play on in the 1930s.
Least any boat owner could do.