Scaled up boats

jimi

Visit site
Sometimes I wonder what a scaled up say X1.5 Centaur would sail like, there would be tons of internal volume .. or a 58 foot sadler 29 ;-)

johnalison

Visit site
Why not indeed? My Sadler 29 weighed in at 8,500lb as far as I recall. An inflated one would weigh eight times that, or about thirty tons. It might sail nearly as fast as the original.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
Why not indeed? My Sadler 29 weighed in at 8,500lb as far as I recall. An inflated one would weigh eight times that, or about thirty tons. It might sail nearly as fast as the original.

As above, the mechanical similitude , ie by the cube square etc, scales things up to frightening proportions .
I doubt if anyone's wallet could take the hit. Fun though.:)

Iliade

Shoreham - up the river without a paddle.
www.airworks.co.uk
There is a not so old thread somewhere here about upscaling large yachts. IIRC the gist was that your Centaur would be overpowered, but then again, normal Centaurs could do with a bigger rig anyway so it will improve light wind performance ;0)

It would definitely be faster, by about 20% on hull speed, but by more according to the available power most of the time.

But it would be a bu@@er to clamber from the cockpit to the foredeck and I'm not a fan of eye level hobs. As for getting off when dried out, that last step would be a doozy... :cool:

Blueboatman

Visit site
If RVs can have expanding, extra side ‘’rooms” that pop out
And Concorde had a wiggly nose
How’s about a retractable racing stern section that adds 5metres ? With sauna and sun deck etc
Best bit, coming into the marina del Costa Mucho Dineros after a lovely flat out fast sail, the conversation about mooring charges : “ A Centaur , you say? I’m sure you looked a lot bigger when you came in just now ....”

Last edited:

Resolution

Visit site
If RVs can have expanding, extra side ‘’rooms” that pop out
And Concorde had a wiggly nose
How’s about a retractable racing stern section that adds 5metres ? With sauna and sun deck etc
Best bit, coming into the marina del Costa Mucho Dineros after a lovely flat out fast sail, the conversation about mooring charges : “ A Centaur , you say? I’m sure you looked a lot bigger when you came in just now ....”
About ten years ago the Argentinian designer Juan K (can't spell the rest...) gave a lecture at my club on future design trends. His big tip was for changes to the shape of hulls to reflect different speeds, just like your Concorde nose. Funnily enough he did not mention foils....

halcyon

Visit site

To a degree, but not as extreme, they do extend boats, not a yacht but the Sealine 450 hull was designed for a 36 foot boat, got stretched to 45 foot, then shrunk to make a 39 footer, then shrunk again to make a 36 footer.

Brian

Zagato

Visit site
Think I would prefer to scale down some designs similar to Roger Dongray and the Pilot Cutter. Some gorgeous Sparkman and Stevens designs that could get down to 30' perhaps, beautiful sheer line with long overhangs... sitting head room only but that is fine, better than an unsightly floating caravans spoiling the views of estuaries.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The Berwick (c31'6") is pretty much a scaled up Centaur. Perhaps nearer +50% in displacement and volume, rather than LOA?

PBO criticised the internal layout of the Berwick (and its sister variations) as being too similar to a Centaur, missing the opportunity to 'do something different', but when I once viewed one I really liked the resulting sense of space and that every square foot wasn't crammed full of 'stuff'.

Blueboatman

Visit site
About ten years ago the Argentinian designer Juan K (can't spell the rest...) gave a lecture at my club on future design trends. His big tip was for changes to the shape of hulls to reflect different speeds, just like your Concorde nose. Funnily enough he did not mention foils....
Nice lecture !
The Juan Kouyoumdjian website has some great articles.
(I feel like a luddite)
Without mentioning foils, he writes well on advocating reliably engineered canting keels to provide ‘virtual’ reduction in a boats displacement and thus “ beat” its theoretical hull speed.
I believe all this has been trickling into cruising yacht production for a while now? (Writes a long fin owner).

First to retrofit a Centaur with foils, canting bilgekeels , PRVs superyacht retractable stern/shapely crew area AND an ingenious outboard well will certainly get a prize for ingenuity ?

Last edited:

scottie

Visit site
It’s said that Alfred Mylne amongst others only designed one boat and altered the scale of the drawing as req
David Boyd sovereign / piper?

johnalison

Visit site
Yes most weird boat I ever sailed no ability for driver to affect heel plus steering with your feet totally abnormal
I had really fancied it until I tried it but couldn’t wait to get out
I used to know someone who sailed one on Aldenham reservoir but he died before I ever got a chance. They used to fill them up and sink occasionally when the helm got over-excited.