Satellite telephones

Independence

Visit site
I shall be taking a satellite phone with me mainly at the request of my family and for letting my wife know when / if to arrange a flight over!!!

I wondered if anyone else was doing the same and if they felt it a good idea to perhaps be available for contact during the passage say between 12pm to 2pm each day.

If anyone is interested feel free to send me your tele number and I'll collate and distribute a list accordingly. You'll find my e-mail address via the forum membership summary.

Regards

Paul

POCONNOR8

Visit site
Hi Paul, I guess this is Essex Paul owner of indecision I think your idea of a sat phone is excellent, I can ring you and get the low do on life on the high seas.

MissP /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif <span style="color:red"> </span>

Noddy

Visit site
Part of the reason I'm going is to get away from telephones!

Of course I will, no doubt, be trying to borrow yours at some point!

Cheers
Paul

lumphammer

Visit site
Hi Paul,

I will be taking a sat phone, the plan is to use it mainly for email and weather info and also like you to minimise the worries of the family. I like the idea of staying in touch during the trip, either sat phone or a VHF listening watch on particular channel at specified time.

The secret I guess is not to tell anybody the number or email address that way you minimise the nuisance value /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Richard

Independence

Visit site
Agree with you Richard which is why I offered for folks to e-mail me personally for me to collate the numbers and distribute only to those who have contributed.

Contributors will need to respect the privacy of others by not passing on these numbers.

By the way G-Comm and Adam Phones seem to be the recommended suppliers I have learned of so far. Does anyone else have any?

Paul

NickiCrutchfield

Visit site
My only experience of a sat phone pissed me off no end; I found the jump, spiritually, philosophically and literally, from my boat at sea to my family at home was truly disturbing. It left me feeling thinly spread. Not the best way to feel when alone at sea. I will not carry a sat phone for voice communication again. Really useful, however, for email, and of course the family are consoled by one's continued survival. Imagine the feelings as you drop the @£$$%$ overside. Also expensive.
Nicki

andlauer

Visit site
Bonjour
If you may have two email addresses.
One of mine was stuck with a "attached file".
You also should have someone ashore to manage the adresses and, if necessary, to kill the big message.
The rule is simple no images no attached files but it's so easy to join something by a click!

I would not recommand to use satcom at voice. It is expensive, the sound is poor and it is intrusive in the single handed boat life.
Email is much better.(already intrusive!)
Eric