Salvage rights

sarabande

Visit site
There was a thread years ago about a forumite heroically rescuing a boat that had broken its mooring in Southampton Water. He was serious about claiming salvage.

IIRC we were told by one of the forum lawyers that a boat breaking loose from a mooring does not form the basis for a salvage claim.

Daydream believer

Visit site
My point?
A hot chili cooked by a previously very scared (you know what)less wife following a nice long shower was one of the best thank you offerings we could have wanted.
Having a shower with the skipper's wife is going a bit far. But you never know your luck. ;) Some wives are quite good looking.:D But there again, looking at some, I might just cast some off, b..ger off quick & forget the ancilliaries.:(

Zing

Visit site
Invoice the owner. Small claims court if it's ignored.

Was it the owner's mooring that failed or the broker's? If the latter, they may be keeping quiet about their negligence in the hope that it'll go away and the owner won't realise how close he came to losing his boat.
I didn’t think of that. I’ll ask for info. I know some people who will know.

dgadee

Visit site
I towed a larger French boat for a few miles. I was out of beer at the time. Would have liked a bottle. Or even a can. But nothing.

Poecheng

Visit site
It’s a case of the absence of common courtesy.
Understatement.
What you did, unlike your examples, was not simply a courtesy that ought to be acknowledged with (common) courtesy. You went to very considerable effort and safeguarded the owner's property; that warranted real gratitude and many would think something tangible would be deserved to reflect that effort.
When courtesies are discarded so readily, it makes people a bit less willing to help the next time and leads bit by bit to a less cooperative society. Those who have witnessed less cooperative societies generally don't chose to emulate them. I think you are right to protest.

dgadee

Visit site
Civil matter? Unless you injured yourself doing it? Duty of care and all that ...

I think it would be outside the expertise of your typical small claims court judge. And the system wasn't set up to deal with these issues. It was to make it easier for business to pursue small debtors.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I do totally understand the irritation at the lack of thanks.

Years ago we gave a tow to a large and heavy Swedish wooden yacht, who had broken down in a flat calm. We were in a Contessa 32; taking them in tow added a good 4 hours to our journey, meaning we arrived in Cherbourg after the bars and restaurants had closed, to the great chagrin of our crew. We also burned through a load of diesel.

No word of thanks, not so much as a by-your-leave from the crew of the Swedish boat. We just ground our teeth, and agreed that we would just have to take satisfaction from helping out other seafarers in difficulty.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I've 'saved' several boats and a couple of lives and can only remember one thankyou. He, an Italian doctor who brought over some tasty treats and an excellent bottle of Barolo, made up for those who'd gone before.

The last was just a few months ago, and I won't bore you with the details but these days it's almost harder to stay silent than to communicate. He knew exactly where to find us and offer a drink, but nope, nothing.

Zing

Visit site
Not sure that that would be a small claim. Probably county court. Interesting to hear where.
I wasn’t referring to the suggestion of a County Court claim. I agree that would not be appropriate. I was responding to the suggestion that the owner might have not been actually informed by the broker to protect the person who owns the neglected and badly maintained mooring. The shackle attaching the mooring rope to the sea bed anchor was corroded and it snapped in fairly modest winds.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
We were in Holland, a few days after I had fitted a new engine, fuel tank and all new fuel lines, motoring along against a f4/5 wind and the engine stopped and wouldn't restart. A traditional Dutch barge was passing and towed us alongside to a marina nearby, via a small channel and got us against an outer pontoon. I had a couple of bottles of wine ready to pass to him but he had already cast off before I had secured our mooring lines. I was very relieved that he took the trouble to help us but a shame we didn't get the opportunity to thank him in person. The engine problem was obviously a fuel problem which after some time trying to fix it, I rang the Ipswich Beta agent who after I explained everything that had been done recently immediately said 'tighten all the fuel unions' - which I did and problem cured, but they all seemed tight so never discovered which union was the culprit.

TSB240

Visit site
I have met an ungracious boater. He dumped his anchor and entire all chain rode over the side in our popular local anchorage.
Our group provided him with a spare anchor and chain and organised a friend with diving equipment to retrieve at low tide.
He decided it was more important to have a night out in local hostelry than to wait for low tide . He set sail before low water to keep his planned weekend cruise in company on course.

We recovered a very heavy brand new Delta and 60 meters of chain and muggins ended up lugging this around for the rest of the bank holiday weekend.

Via the power of social media and texting contact was made,arrangements made for recovery of loaned equipment and exchange with recovered gear.
Serious message was conveyed that the Diver never drank wine and enjoyed a single malt. The rest of the four man recovery crew would settle for wine...

It was also made clear that normal salvage rights would usually amount to approximately 30% of the value of replacing items.
It came as quite a surprise that a single bottle of Tesco's cheapest plonk was left for me to distribute among the helpers.

Nearly 12 months to the day I heard the same guy calling for help on VHF on a good sailing day that his engine was overheating and could someone give him a 5 mile tow back into port from the same anchorage.

I decided to go deaf !

CG ended up coordinating with some other mug offering to help.

dgadee

Visit site
Karma is real. Yes, shit happens, and happens to the nicest people, but they tend to find people will help out. When it happens to the less pleasant, they tend to find there's no one around to take a line or lend a tool

You are an optimist!

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I fixed an outboard for a French family up the Yealm.

He had had his trousers taken down big time by an outboard shop who gave it a wipe with an oily rag and slapped a bit of grease about. They charged him 75 Euro's.

The grease had blocked the carb atmospheric vent. Without atmospheric pressure in the float chamber it wont work.

When it was running properly they whizzed off to a dinner date.

The next morning they left two bottles of exeptional wine and some first class charcuterie in our cockpit.