SailTimer Wind Instrument

langer-198

Visit site
I have been waiting for the new instrument for quite a while and was looking forward to receiving it. However, rather large disappointment. First, I believe the weight between the Bras knob and the back-end should be perfectly balanced so that when the boat is on a lean the instrument still points in the right direction. Especially as the tail is quite heavy. That could be simple fixed by having the rod a little bit longer. The apple app (not the sailtimer app), to connect to the instrument just simply crashes straight after starting once a Bluetooth connection is found and selected. I did not manage to get the sailtimer app to work with the instrument. I managed to get a connection on my android phone. But you have to be within 1m of the device, anything further a connection is not being established. Once a connection is established, the maximum reach is about 15m. This makes it unusable on anything bigger than a trailer sailer. I noted in their pictures the always have it mounted on the deck or close by but not on top of the mast. Well i am sorry, but that where a sailboat measures the wind. There is also no connection within 5m between indoors and outdoors (glas door), which leads me to assume the receiving device needs to be within 15m clear line of sight and therefore can not be in the cabin. I had the windinstrument outdoors in the daylight and sun for 3 weeks now, The battery never went higher than 3 out of six.
So, all up, just a big disappointment. Over promised under delivered.

langer-198

Visit site
Hi Fred,
Thanks for your feedback on that. You seem to know a lot what is going on at sailtimer which makes me think you could be an insider ;).
I do not like to write unjustified negative reviews as I understand in today’s online world, word spreads fast. However, I can just not share your experience and I took the time to make sure it is not me doing silly things and tried out different things. So I downloaded the latest version of the app with the result that it now instead of crashing just simply does not connect at all to the i-pad. Funny enough, it does connect to a Samsung S4 (only if I am close to it). There are no problems connecting other bluetoots devices to the I-pad (ipad 4). I am at a loss. The battery level has creeped up to level 5 now after being 3 months outside. A few other things have been crossing my mind.
First, I still think that the idea and concept is a good one and the price would be awesome (if it would actually do its job). I even would be happy to pay double if it would work. About the execution I am just not so sure. The new windcup attachment is very easy running but I still think the cup needs to be bigger to be responsive in light conditions. The plastic chosen for it, looks odd, discoloured and I would think it will not last very long in the UV. Mine looks already deteriorated and brittle (New Zealand ozone hole conditions). I got no idea how long the clear windvane block will last in those conditions. Biggest concern here is A) that it was not balanced at arrival and B) the sheer weight of it. I have been thinking about it a lot. The idea to have a compass in it makes sense and would make life easy for not required calibration, but let’s assume, you put this on a 15m mast. We are going frequently out in 25-30 knots. Waves easy 50cm and more. Now imagine what forces will work at the top of the mast when you start crashing into waves. I think the whole windvan will just fly off.
In regards to customer service, again I cannot share your experience. I bought the very first windvan which was supposed waterproof and long lasting. I only got one season out of it. As we are not climbing up the mast all the time, I could not check what is wrong. After a year we were up the mast again for some other stuff and had a look to find water in the glass cylinder. Not much but enough to have all the electric corroding. How it got there? No idea. When making contact with sailtimer I got told they got a new much better version coming soon. So I ask for a discount on the new one, That was late 2014. We agreed on half price + freight. So I probably was the first person paying and ordering the new one. At the time it was not available online. A month or so later, the new one went on sale online. At a reduced price. So half price all of a sudden was only a 25% discount. Shipment of the first batch was supposed to happen early 2015. Well, I did not get anything. After asking, shipping would start March/April. May comes and goes, nothing. Then I read the second batch is just about to be shipped. Nothing. Finally I received my windvan 9 Months after I ordered and payed for, with some calm down e-mails in between. Personal opinion, there is a lot of overselling and under delivering going on.
Maybe, I am just an unlucky Guy with unlucky circumstances but I am not trying my luck again in the near future. Glad to hear you had more luck.

sctzilla

Visit site
Hi Langer 198,

Agree with you that the service is quite bad and all of the emails signed off without a name or person. (Just Sailtimer Inc). They don't care about customer service. I ordered mine in September 2015 and it came only in Feb 2016 after many many reminders. Mine cost US$399.

It came unbalanced (I had to re-balanced it), the off-switch was a 3D printed piece which was really amateurish. The epoxy that protects the solar panel and electronics had so many bubbles. The edges were rough. It could not even start up and I had to leave it for 2 days in the sun to charge it up. It looks like a school science project.

The saltimer app that connects the windvane to my iPhone 6 seem to be tracking our move because it asked to send your GPS coordinates to their server (privacy concern).

Their email replies were sarcastic saying that I can fix and rebalance the wind and because that's what sailors are capable of. At one time time, they said they would pay for two way shipping but retract their offer a day later. I could publish the emails and you guys have a laugh at it.

For anyone thinking of getting this, my opinion is that you need to think very hard. While they have several reviews online and on magazine, I would assume that everything has a price and if you pay enough for it, you get very positive reviews. (Advertising)

JJS

Visit site
I like my SailTimer Wind Instrument. Like me, most users are probably happy with the product and the prompt customer support — the silent majority who doesn’t usually add a note on a forum like this.

Sctzilla, complaining is cheap. At least they are trying to make a better product. Kind of ironic for you to say that their staff signs off without a name when you do too.

Sounds like you would be happier paying $1500 for an anemometer from one of the major manufacturers. You’ll need to hire an installer to run the wires down the mast (add $400+), or spend a couple hours doing that yourself — which probably means dropping then re-stepping the mast (add $300+). And you’ll also need one of their LCD displays or chartplotters (add another $500+).

Note that Langer198 appears to be talking about apps and wireless anemometers from earlier years — both of which have been evolving quickly. For example, he mentions having a water leak, but the 3rd-generation Wind Instrument has no air inside for condensation or leaks. The new design is pretty cool, with no outer plastic housing or gaskets at all. It just has a very thin clear coating to make it waterproof while minimizing weight.

Finally, there is no privacy concern here. The SailTimer Wind Instrument now lets me crowd-source my live wind data online. It is the first masthead anemometer that can do that. But that is totally under your control in the API with the Sharing button. This is a great new feature. As more people share their wind data, live wind maps could have a big impact on sailboat navigation. Imagine being able to plan your tacks based on what the winds are like up ahead, before you even get there.

sctzilla

Visit site
JJS, just to address your concern about me, I would like to point out that as per the forum rule and ethic, please do focus on the product and company services and not on the individuals. You appear to target me rather that give feedback on the product itself.

In fact, from the privacy perspectives, no one can be sure what they tracked but you seemed to understand it better. You seemed to have multiple of their products and know very well of their old and new design. You also appear all too fast to defend them of their poor customer service (Another insider/ shareholder/ simply good friends?)

The worst of any forum discussion is to focus the talk to attack the contributors. Everyone can give their opinion and feedback.

Give your feedback based on your own experience and don't attempt to represent other users when it is obvious that none of us is able to.

Respectfully, the readers can be left to decide.

The silent majority can represent themselves if they think the product is good or bad.

Otherwise, the silence speaks volume of the product quality either way.

Back to the product feedback:

It is still a negative vote for me on this product. The product over-promise and under-delivered. I hope the developer informs the buyers for the price,l it offers, the product is still experimental and amateurish so that those who wish to puchase it can make informed decision.

For e.g., What you may read on the website is a great piece of advertisement that deliver lesser. In fact, go read the warranty section. They mean to say that if they are unlikely to honor their warranty if your batteries are flat when stored over several weeks (e.g. Winter) or if you don't charge it in the sun adequately. In response, I like to query what are the specification of the battery performance and its ability to retain charge. Mine came dead on arrival. In fact, how will the consumer know that the battery is good on arrival.

Read the warranty section to decide what are the chance that you will ever get your device exchanged or repaired when your sailtimer fail within the warranty period.

Watch their YouTube and you figure that the device is never mounted on the mast head and show that is it mounted on the boat cockpit.

Unfortunately, I bought the device thinking that it a good product based on all the paid advert and magazine review.

I believe that it is the duty of a fellow consumer to give his opinions and share his experience with other consumers so that they can make informed choices.

There are many wonderful products out there and even more poorly designed products. Every dollar counts regardless of the price you pay. Be it $399 or $2000, it came from our paycheck, isn't it?

Thank you.

I like my SailTimer Wind Instrument. Like me, most users are probably happy with the product and the prompt customer support — the silent majority who doesn’t usually add a note on a forum like this.

Sctzilla, complaining is cheap. At least they are trying to make a better product. Kind of ironic for you to say that their staff signs off without a name when you do too.

Sounds like you would be happier paying $1500 for an anemometer from one of the major manufacturers. You’ll need to hire an installer to run the wires down the mast (add $400+), or spend a couple hours doing that yourself — which probably means dropping then re-stepping the mast (add $300+). And you’ll also need one of their LCD displays or chartplotters (add another $500+).

Note that Langer198 appears to be talking about apps and wireless anemometers from earlier years — both of which have been evolving quickly. For example, he mentions having a water leak, but the 3rd-generation Wind Instrument has no air inside for condensation or leaks. The new design is pretty cool, with no outer plastic housing or gaskets at all. It just has a very thin clear coating to make it waterproof while minimizing weight.

Finally, there is no privacy concern here. The SailTimer Wind Instrument now lets me crowd-source my live wind data online. It is the first masthead anemometer that can do that. But that is totally under your control in the API with the Sharing button. This is a great new feature. As more people share their wind data, live wind maps could have a big impact on sailboat navigation. Imagine being able to plan your tacks based on what the winds are like up ahead, before you even get there.

mooneyman

Visit site
Would be great if it worked as advertised. I have had mine at top of mast now for 4 months. (Catalina38) At best I get 2 hours of use in the morning before the batterie dies. So probable not a top of mast unit. Additionally and this is probably my issue, but it has no sense of direction. North and south are relative to which side of the bed it wakes up on. I also purchased the Link unit and bridged it to my B&G chart plotter this works great. For two hours in the morning as long as you are not concerned about actual wind direction. Tech support is fantastic as long as you are not in a hurry. Very knowledgable and courteous. Just be patient they will eventually get back to you. Now for the big question. Would I do this again? Hecks NO.

DoubleEnder

Visit site
At SBS I saw something called Calypso. Wireless masthead anemometer that is solar powered and ultrasonic. No moving parts. The demo looked good. But I don’t really see the point of m/h wind instruments unless you’re doing high end racing stuff. I suppose it gives you something to say “ooooo we had 400 knots off Brighton bla bla”. But Calypso was interesting I thought www.calypsoinstruments.com

No connection and all that

ewssails

Visit site
Only when all the facts about this company and their products come to light, means are reported, will the customers be safe from this company. Here is my story:
- I ordered this instrument (old version) in 2018 and after some delay it was sent to me and I received it while in NewZealand. The instrument DID NOT WORK at all. The battery did not take any charge. After some 2+ months of their support people telling me that I am too stupid to charge the unit they finally agreed to replace the unit under warranty. BTW, forget about being able to return the unit to them, their 14 day return policy is run out before you even receive it.
- anyhow, so I am waiting for the replacement. MONTHS, after MONTHS, the excuse was model change and I held still because I was getting the new improved RB (removeable battery) version. Finally some 8 mths after initial purchase I received the replacement. And wow, it worked. Albeit under IOS only. I couldn't make it work under Android, not on my Android 9 phone and not later on my friends Samsung tablet. And it only worked for three weeks. Then the oh so innovative wind cups stopped working, the bearings were gone after three weeks and all the unit did was emitting a squealing sound.
- after now more than a year from initial purchase I just was done with this wonder of non-function and requested a refund. Which of course was denied and more warranty parts offered. BTW, every time you need warranty parts you are in for some $80 Fedex fees depending on where you are. But for me this is it. I am no longer gonna waste my time and money on this product.
- my repeated request for a legal address so I can have my lawyer file legal procedures have now been denied 3 times leaving as the only option to sue publicly against Sailtimer without any address.

This product is imho utterly unsuitable for offshore use. Maybe for the gadget hungry bay sailors(no pun intended) it may be ok to play with this troublesome HW and SW. Customer service is rich on words, with zero action, evasive to the max and the fact that the company refuses to supply a legal address so customers can file legal action speaks for itself. I never had to deal with anybody more resistant in admitting that they have a serious HW product quality problem and a

The design of this product is an environmental disaster as well. Its hermetically sealed in epoxy, no repairs are possible. They didn't even wanted my old unit back which I assume only has either a bad battery or a bad solar panel. All these units will sooner than later become non recycable hazardous electronic waste. Their Software is buggy, their IOS API is a resource hog and their Android API doesn't even serve their own Android apps.

The power requirements on your mobile devices with the BT radio on all the time are tremendous and anything of a phone with less than 4000 mAh (just my experience) is not a suitable device. If you want to eliminate your chartplotter, think twice.

In WikiPedia the developer touts Sailtimer as a "Technology" and on his website he makes it look like his HW and SW are cutting edge technology. They sure are not.

I dare the earlier poster mentioning the "silent" happy Sailtimer customers to come forward and share their story here. This is just MY personal story with two of their defective products for which I have spend big money without having any working solution after one year now. If you search all the sailboat forums the verdict is very clear. So if there really are so many happy customers, then that would create a good balance to those of us here who have been taken to the cleaners by Sailtimer.

Don't leave town with this product. If you get it to work at all.

I am just drafting a "FREE" for sale ad for my two units. Anybody who wants my two units for free, message me. I give them away for shipping cost only(currently from the Philippines where I am). Just to get them out of my life. I wasted lots of money, time and nerves on this and at some point you have to call it quits.

ewssails

Visit site
Please, don't attack me for sharing my experiences with the vendor and product. If you have the product, share your experience. If you don't, get one. You can have mine, both of them, they are available for free. I tried for a year to get this going, sunk $$$ in this and more time.
And if you do some research, I am just one of many not so happy customer of them. Go get some happy customers of them and have them post their great experience. If you can find them.

peace

MexicoGaffer

Visit site
Hi. EWSSAILS, I'm having problems myself and have been in the sailtimer loop since 2016 - four units and a 'left behind' incompatible Mini Server. Really wanted this to work but have never had any luck. Is anyone out there happy with theirs? Clue to what I'm doing wrong?