Sailing Yaba

Wansworth

Visit site
If there is a major problem involving lots of money,there is no guarantee they can maintain their audience,it’s a horrible mish mash which would have been left to rot in pre YT. days but there seems to be a fan club prepared to pay to see this kind of inept Struggling as well as the very slick couples who know what they are doing and actually educate

Wansworth

Visit site
It goes against what most sailers would consider a sensible plan,if you dont know the condition you employ a surveyor,what makes these people fly in the face of reason.The only thing to come out of theses events is it affords entertainment at several levels and in the case a Yaba provides an income for some Brazilian boatbuilders,while it lasts

Rappey

Visit site
Its brilliant entertainment... theres a guy that bought a hurricane damaged lagoon cat, repaired it then sailed it, until it started coming apart as he was about to set off across the pacific.
Hes now bought two more and is rebuilding them...

clyst

Visit site
I wonder how much the owners of ship happens think it is going to cost to refit the wreck ? My concerns are that they are heading for financial ruin as the boat itself is uninsurabled at the moment and I guess 3rd party insurance would be astronomically high due to its condition and location so I'm guessing ,and I my be wrong , that there is no insurance of any kind . Anyone injuring themselves tripping over the anchor lines or even trespassing ( they have a duty of care even for trespassers) on the boat would have cause to make substantial injury claims . Probably something they have not considered

Keith 66

Visit site
Car crash tv on you tube masquerading as boatbuilding. Look up the top of any muddy creek or boatyard in the UK & you will find dreamers who buy old wooden boats to live on & think they will be able to do it up. Not one in a hundred succeeds.
Ship Happens is a typical one, the boat was obviously on its last legs & a short time from being burnt for its copper. Any boatbuilder will know that its double diagonal planking will be riddled with rot from the top down & fixing that properly is beyond any but a very rich man with an open chequebook & the facilities of a good crew of boatbuilders. I sometimes feel sorry for the people that buy these boats, well meaning & starry eyed, they take the advice of people with no knowledge who say "Yeah go for it, You can do it, its easy". Then ignore people who have worked on similar & know what the score is.
But they wont be told & in a few years will be even more potless skint than they are now & the wreck will go on ebay again.

Rappey

Visit site
Ok. have you ever worked on double diagonal boats?
Worked on carvel, clinker, ply ,aluminium, ferro, grp and steel (had a lot of projects over the years) but double diagonal is rare and not one I've touched, although I spent many months along side a guy that was repairing one a long time ago ?

Keith 66

Visit site
I had the misfortune to work on quite a few of them back in the 80's, there were still a lot of harbour launches & other WW2 era double diag boats about. They were invariably ropey round the deck edge & top of the hull. Once you found rot it was easy to see the rot filaments running along between the planks. And then the fun startsm to get a couple of rotten plank out you have half the side of the boat out before you know it.
The RNLI lifeboats were far better built so lasted far better!

clyst

Visit site
I had the misfortune to work on quite a few of them back in the 80's, there were still a lot of harbour launches & other WW2 era double diag boats about. They were invariably ropey round the deck edge & top of the hull. Once you found rot it was easy to see the rot filaments running along between the planks. And then the fun startsm to get a couple of rotten plank out you have half the side of the boat out before you know it.
The RNLI lifeboats were far better built so lasted far better!
Yea check out the STBD top of the foredeck under the green plastic sheeting in one of the early episodes you could clearly see the rot . Once they start poking around that area the penny may drop ....... But I doubt it ??

Keith 66

Visit site
I just looked at episode 6 where he is "assesing the hull", rotten deck, rotten beamshelf, rotten frames. Its top decks are teak over plywood that has failed & been pissing water for years. He says he is going to "sister frames" & put plywood over rotten bits to put the strength back. Dont look in good nick to me, Its a rot box.

Aardee

Visit site
Still catching up on Sailing Yaba. I know the owners have to be there, but part of me wishes they'd head off to the bar and let the shipbuilders just get on with it. She seems to be particularly annoying, prancing around the boatyard like a 10 year old.