Sailing UK to France then Spain with 1 jab?

Bilge Rat

Visit site
Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere but wondered if anyone knew whether it will be possible to sail to France having only had the first dose of Covid jab. Had this on 30th April so won't get 2nd dose until mid July. I understand you then have to wait 2 weeks to get a certificate (through the post?). Work and other constraints mean starting the trip in early July. If we are allowed in to France are there any issues with moving on to Spain and Portugal without being fully jabbed? Anybody else trying to do this this year?

Kelpie

Visit site
Following!
We might be in a similar situation. Had first jab early June, been advised second one will be eight weeks later making it around 20th-21st July. We'd like to have left by then, but think it's worth waiting. Was under the impression that medical records would be available through an app so no need to wait for a letter to arrive?

We are thinking the best plan is to minimise the number of countries we visit. So ditching the original idea of going via Ireland, and will likely attempt a Biscay crossing straight to Spain.

awol

Visit site
Apologies if I've missed this elsewhere but wondered if anyone knew whether it will be possible to sail to France having only had the first dose of Covid jab. Had this on 30th April so won't get 2nd dose until mid July. I understand you then have to wait 2 weeks to get a certificate (through the post?). Work and other constraints mean starting the trip in early July. If we are allowed in to France are there any issues with moving on to Spain and Portugal without being fully jabbed? Anybody else trying to do this this year?
Of course you can sail there. Quite what the penalties are for not having an International Travel Certificate, negative Covid PCR test, proof of vaccination or isolating for the requisite time I have no idea. I tend to try and avoid officials toting guns.

doug748

Visit site

I think but could not swear, that you could get into Spain, as it stands. I would do all I could to get the second jab though, it would save so much aggravation

The NHS app will not work at all below Android 6. It would load but not post the vital video on my Android 6 phone either. S o I would test it ASAP.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
At the moment to get into Spain (by whatever means) you need a negative Covid test (less than 72 hours from the sample being taken??) or proof that you had the final/second vaccination more than 14 days ago. i.e. being fully vaccinated is not enough - it has to be more than 14 days ago, and just one injection does not count for anything - also the vaccination has to be one of the approved vaccines.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I may have missed something but haven't heard of vaccination being a requirement of entry into France or Spain.

We have similar problem with jabs, 5-6 weeks wait for second at the time we booked our first but then went to 11 weeks. We could have second jab in Portugal but then who would issue vaccination certificate/passport if needed in future? Decided to change flights and have second jab here.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I think but could not swear, that you could get into Spain, as it stands. I would do all I could to get the second jab though, it would save so much aggravation

The NHS app will not work at all below Android 6. It would load but not post the vital video on my Android 6 phone either. S o I would test it ASAP.

Seems the OP may be in Wales, where different rules apply to England. Welsh Gov. have decreed that younger folks have priority for first jab than us wrinklies for second, so our dates extended. We've tried phoning for earlier appointments and even turned up a vaccination centre to see if they had any left over from no-shows. Not a chance. English app doesn't work in Wales either unless very recent change.

We know the Spanish and Portuguese want to see valid Covid test taken up to 72 hours prior but, what happens when arriving by boat when this isn't possible? 14 days quarantine?

westernman

www.devalk.nl
At the moment to get into Spain (by whatever means) you need a negative Covid test (less than 72 hours from the sample being taken??) or proof that you had the final/second vaccination more than 14 days ago. i.e. being fully vaccinated is not enough - it has to be more than 14 days ago, and just one injection does not count for anything - also the vaccination has to be one of the approved vaccines.

I may have missed something but haven't heard of vaccination being a requirement of entry into France or Spain.

We have similar problem with jabs, 5-6 weeks wait for second at the time we booked our first but then went to 11 weeks. We could have second jab in Portugal but then who would issue vaccination certificate/passport if needed in future? Decided to change flights and have second jab here.

You have missed the word "or" in my post above.

Quiddle

Visit site

Double vaccination is currently a requirement for entry to France other than for 'essential' reasons, which are more essential than they have been on previous occasions and certainly do not include leisure sailing. That said, I anchored off French and Spanish coasts in April and May without going ashore and had no problems, even when passport checked by Aduanas in Ria Muros.

PlanB

Visit site
From the Gov.uk site re Spain - Entry requirements - Spain travel advice

Preparing for arrival by air or sea
On arrival into Spanish ports and airports, you may be subject to the following requirements at the point of entry:

• Present the QR code (hardcopy or digital) issued on completion of the online Health Control Form prior to travel.
  • Undergo a temperature check
  • Undergo a visual health assessment
  • All passengers (excluding children under the age of 12 years old) travelling to Spanish airports and ports from a ‘risk country’ should be prepared to present evidence either of a negative test taken within 48 hours prior to arrival, of being fully vaccinated; or of having had and recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months. See Testing requirements if travelling from a ‘risk country’

awol

Visit site
From the Gov.uk site re Spain - Entry requirements - Spain travel advice
Preparing for arrival by air or sea
  • All passengers (excluding children under the age of 12 years old) travelling to Spanish airports and ports from a ‘risk country’ should be prepared to present evidence either of a negative test taken within 48 hours prior to arrival, of being fully vaccinated; or of having had and recovered from COVID-19 in the last 6 months. See Testing requirements if travelling from a ‘risk country’
"Either/or" used to be applied to alternatives. Is it pedantic to expect Gov.uk sites to actually use correct English?

Bilge Rat

Visit site
Yes I am in Wales where we seem to be doing very well with first doses but I was also told 11 weeks for the second. Also, we don't have the NHS app. Thoughts at the moment are turning to an extended UK based cruise and reluctantly delaying the trip South another year :confused:

chrishscorp

Visit site
I had a text to say I was vulnerable and at risk, being a fit and healthy 53 yr old, text told me too cancel my appointment on the NHS system and rebook which I did and got a slot the following day !! you dont say what age you are but it may be worth a go.

The other thing that happens is GP surgeries and the vaccination clinics get the vaccine book people in and some fail to turn up every day it is very frustrating for them, they try and fill the gaps how ever they can..... I know in the case of one GP surgery 2000 doses delivered on the Thursday evening frantic phone an text around of patients, they phoned the local Police station got all the Officers in who were available for it, last 200 doses on the Sunday afternoon they were dragging people off the street rather than throw it in the bin, So another option there worth exploring