Sailing Today.

Skylark

Visit site
Fortunately, I read the OP text before opening the link. Sounds like an enjoyable day. Then I made the mistake of reading the first paragraph of the article “......just does not happen with modern boats”. I don’t care to read prejudiced, utter bolox. ?

Laminar Flow

Visit site
Stating absolutes is never a good thing. Much as when my wife insists that I always leave the toilet seat up. I feel more than confident to point out that after decades upon decades of rigorous training and conditioning by a number of qualified instructors, the more correct term would be "occasionally".

Still, I have to wonder at the remarkably thin skin of "contemporary" boat advocates as much as one could marvel at the elephantine hide of the "traditionalists" (traditionalist, apparently, being an appellation that is acquired when a boat's design passes the ten year mark). Either one or the other seems to be afflicted with a bad case of insecurity.

While I'm sure some injured soul will immediately let us know of a current design that runs as straight as an arrow without the aid of human or artificial guidance and would make Slocum's Spray look all squirrelly by comparison, I should like to mention the posts by a member of this parish who has (repeatedly) revealed that his contemporary creation is not only directionally unstable, but has burned out a number of electronic pilots trying to make it so.

Rather than getting all in a flap about it, I would really like to know which "contemporary" designs are directionally stable, and moreover, why?