Sailing Today.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Well, this morning. Thought I'd post this just because some might still like some simple sailing in these troubled times.

The boat. https://classicsailor.com/2018/02/no-2/

Friend of mine bought one of these recently. Been out a couple of times for a couple of hours. Lovely sailing older yachts. Simple. Just the echo sounder.....plus a shed load of local knowledge. Stress free sailing.

We knew there was some stuff to fix. She's older than some posters! 1970 something. But it's one of those boats that if you fix everything before you go, you will never go.

So today was a chance for some light airs boat handling to start with. Injectors and or governor need a coat of looking at, very smoky under big load. So the 'slow is pro' approach to boat handling will see us through for now. Once out in Bocayna a strait, the light easterly always reduces viz so could barely make out Fuertaventura, but lovely and warm, polo and shorts weather. Blue sky. Ideal time for Italian decoke on engine and a flip around the underwater art museum buoys for a bit of orientation for our new skipper.

Fairly much on cue, wind filled in from east. So reach south and practice reefing. Whilst dodging the international dinghy racing that's going on. Those guys and girls are very, very good.

Only out for a few morning hours, so back towards the marina at around noon. A small fleet of foiling windsurfers and attend and safety boats heading out, wow, speed. And the most incredible noise. Sort of buzz. Must take a lot of fitness to operate them they go out for hours.

Brisk back in the marina, finger pontoons, beam wind. So went for easy option, popped into the downwind berth that has a permanent fender on the pontoon...as does my oppos. So, don't even need a dock line, nudge bow onto fender leave in slow ahead. Plenty of time to take another line to end cleat of upwind berth and winch boat over. Job done.

Put a new engine battery in yesterday, but a bit of autopilot today soon teased out a problem with the service battery. But enough wonga spent for now, will get round to it.

Anyway, a short sailing story to pass eleven seconds on a grey day. ?

dom

Visit site
1970s garbage of the flared trouser and dodgy haircut era IMHO (n)

You need to go back much further to find a decent MAB.

I mean look at the lines on this picture of perfection, the wheelhouse, the beautiful sheer, the tumblehome and solid timbering, that biblical quarterdeck .......why, even the animals love it!

Where can I buy a boat like that I ask? ?

1611766513195.png

newtothis

Visit site

I mean look at the lines on this picture of perfection, the wheelhouse, the beautiful sheer, the tumblehome and solid timbering, that biblical quarterdeck .......why, even the animals love it!

View attachment 107990
There's one here, but they're not cheap...
'Noah's Ark' floating museum docks at Ipswich in first UK visit

Reactions: dom

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com

View attachment 107990
Don't forget the unicorns this time.

HissyFit

Visit site

View attachment 107990
There's one on the hard at the top of Mt Ararat, if you believe the creationists.

• Haha
Reactions: dom

dom

Visit site
There's one on the hard at the top of Mt Ararat, if you believe the creationists.

Hmm, true, but the Genesis 8.4 translation relating to Mt Ararat I think only appeared around the the 11 Century and that's still a tad too Ben/Jen/Bav/X/RM/IMOCA for me !
:)

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Except they've spoilt it having a wheel instead of a tiller.

Otherwise I'd agree. Maybe David Sadler had the odd holiday in Italy?

Bit of a coincidence that contessa is an Italian lady....
I see what you mean about a tiller but there's not a lot of room behind the main sheet track and its a tad narrow. For me, the wheel works fine. Each to their own!

Sfalkner

Visit site
Capnsensible, glad to hear you enjoyed a sail on an Alpa 9.50. I have a bigger sister, an Alpa 11.50. Plenty in Italy and around the Med but never seen one in UK waters. Designed after S&S , sail like witches and ( to me) look beautiful.

Attachments

• 6B68D85C-1AA2-4327-866A-B5FF75978302.jpeg
    6B68D85C-1AA2-4327-866A-B5FF75978302.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 39

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Capnsensible, glad to hear you enjoyed a sail on an Alpa 9.50. I have a bigger sister, an Alpa 11.50. Plenty in Italy and around the Med but never seen one in UK waters. Designed after S&S , sail like witches and ( to me) look beautiful.
We had a bit of a drift around this morning in light and variable winds, but better than sitting about ashore!

Its one of the perks of being here in the sun kissed Fortunate Islands. ?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk

View attachment 107990
Some people reckon there's one at the top of a mountain in Turkey ?