forums had to be closed. We do apologise for the lack of advanced
notice.

Sincere Regards,
Rob Fenwick,
Web Administrator - Future Publishing UK
[ + ] 01225 442244 xt 2457
http://www.futurenet.co.uk

G

Sailing Today has been sold to the web magazine madforsailing.com. What the significance, and indeed, future, of this is for the printed version of Sailing Today, I don't know. Madforsailing is more a racing site than cruising.

G

I thought something was amiss when in this month's editorial, the editor gave a reason for giving up the editorship - something about wanting more time to write. Now we know the truth. Bit of a shame really as I really liked the magazine. It beggars the question : Is there room for 2 cruising mags in the UK ? You would have thought so but the facts seem to say the opposite.

G

Email just recieved

Dear Sir,

Further to my earlier e-mail, please note that the information that had
been past to the web administration team was not correct. Sailing Today
is still being published, but by a different publishing company.

Rob Fenwick,
Web Administrator - Future Publishing UK
[ + ] 01225 442244 xt 2457
http://www.futurenet.co.uk

G

I think more to do with Future losing money during the past year or so. This is not the only title "hived off". Probably need to concentrate on more profitable ones. It's a fight for magazine store shelf space I guess. IPC are fourth largest publisher worldwide?

G

I, too, will be rather sad if ST bites the dust. I think it had really begun to get in its stride over the past 12 months or so. I quite liked it under the editorships of Fox & Kendall. Don't know what John Goode's journalistic qualifications are though. There's certainly a need in the market place for a foil to the IPC monopoly, but whether there's a sustainable financial niche is another question. I hope we haven't seen the last of it.

G

Future Publishing have been in the Financial Pages a lot recently. In the Publishing World they are a relatively new company and appear to have over-reached their resources and expanded too fast.

I suspect they are trying to raise funds asap by selling off titles for the best prices they can get. Magazines are not "tins of baked beans" as every edition has to produce new copy. Getting the financial balance and necessary circulation buildup and format is difficult.

PBO is the biggest success ever launched in this field in the UK which, since the very first issue,January 1967, has always outsold the rest of the field by at least 10,000 copies per month!

G

Sailing Today will continue to be published in its current format, concentrating on cruising - not racing. The only difference is that it now has extra finances to improve its content and the editorial staff will all operate from its new Hamble premises, with John Goode as Editor.