Sailing to Ulster with a ham sandwich on board?

Fascadale

Visit site
Do the new regulations allow me to visit Ulster on a yacht sailing from Scotland and provisioned in Scotland, without becoming immersed in bio security paperwork?

I might have a ham sandwich on board, a Fray Bentos pie, French apples and Scottish raspberries.

When I depart Ulster returning to Scotland I may have added to my Scottish bought provisions with Ulster bought goodies.

There is always the disused ammunition dumping site in the Beaufort Dyke. Perhaps it needs to be repurposed!

dom

Visit site
Don’t forget that 3 Ulster counties are not part of the UK

Also, in current circumstances - European Commission gymnastics, etc. - it might be best to sort out the nomenclature first and don‘t worry about those sandwiches
:) ?

Fascadale

Visit site
Don’t forget that 3 Ulster counties are not part of the UK

Also, in current circumstances - European Commission gymnastics, etc. - it might be best to sort out the nomenclature first and don‘t worry about those sandwiches
:) ?

Yes, it’s difficult to know what to call that part of the world, “Northern Ireland” is offensive to some, the “North of Ireland” to others. I thought “Ulster” the most neutral

Completely take your point about the missing three counties, my mother's family is from Donegal

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ulster?
Is it a yacht or a time machine?
I think County Monaghan is the only part of Ulster one cannot currently reach by boat, although the Ulster Canal restroration should change that. Donegal is easy, of course, and County Cavan can be reached from the Shannon or the Erne.

dom

Visit site
Yes, it’s difficult to know what to call that part of the world, “Northern Ireland” is offensive to some, the “North of Ireland” to others. I thought “Ulster” the most neutral

Completely take your point about the missing three counties, my mother's family is from Donegal

Lol, as you probably know the Irish are a friendly bunch and you'll be more than welcome on your visit. Yes there are the Rules but we generally keep a sense of proportionality in their enforcement and you are most unlikely to meet the kind of petty politically-motivated officialdom we've seen in France and the Netherlands, which I guess is what prompted your question.

In terms of a name, my advice would be to just call it 'Ireland' and nobody will be offended. In fact, best to stay entirely away from the whole North/Republic/EU/British matter. No EU flags, no Tricolour, Ulster flag, or anything like that -- just the standard courtesy flag will all will be fine.

Have great trip! ☘
:)

dom

Visit site
I think County Monaghan is the only part of Ulster one cannot currently reach by boat, although the Ulster Canal restroration should change that. Donegal is easy, of course, and County Cavan can be reached from the Shannon or the Erne.

Easy in the sense that there's a lot of coastline but it can be a treacherous place to sail when the wind and seas are up with only sparse and sometimes iffy harbours to shelter.

I know you know this, it's more for anybody else thinking of drifting over that way!

awol

Visit site
Putting aside exactly how one should identify the parts of Ireland, I had the temerity to refer to Eire a while back, there is a serious question of what weird protocols those of us used to crossing the North Channel will have to undergo when our sailing is resumed. As I understand it the Scots can sail to Noriron (is that safe?) and then head south and onward to Europe without let or hindrance, we can even load bonded stores. Entry into the Schengen area from Ireland could, though I doubt it, be the same as before Brexit as we are travelling within the EU. While travelling by air there was an obvious border crossing on entry to Schengen or lack of it when transiting further abroad but sailing didn't always elicit the appearance of gun-toting officialdom.

dgadee

Visit site
Yes there are the Rules but we generally keep a sense of proportionality in their enforcement and you are most unlikely to meet the kind of petty politically-motivated officialdom we've seen in France and the Netherlands, which I guess is what prompted your question.

I think that's true, but 'proportionality' of enforcement has its difficulties. I live in a listed terrace but plastic windows are all over the place and no-one seems to be bothered. Partly I think it's an after effect of the troubles (where civil servants kept their heads down) and partly that the Northern Irish don't like anything old. The built environment will end up looking ahistoric and they will later regret their lack of enforcement now.

On terminology, I must have been here for about 10 years before a protestant colleague said to me about my use of 'Northern Irish'. He said protestants don't really like that - "from Northern Ireland" would be better. Words are read in so many ways in NI but I think there is less concern these days.

dgadee

Visit site

Definitely not! The protestant "Ulster Says No" banners sums it up.

Nom de plume

Visit site
Do the new regulations allow me to visit Ulster on a yacht sailing from Scotland and provisioned in Scotland, without becoming immersed in bio security paperwork?

I might have a ham sandwich on board, a Fray Bentos pie, French apples and Scottish raspberries.

When I depart Ulster returning to Scotland I may have added to my Scottish bought provisions with Ulster bought goodies.

There is always the disused ammunition dumping site in the Beaufort Dyke. Perhaps it needs to be repurposed!

Last edited:

Slowtack

Visit site
If the tide in the North Channel is not in your favour the sandwiches should be well consumed before you reach shore................

Tranona

Visit site
Putting aside exactly how one should identify the parts of Ireland, I had the temerity to refer to Eire a while back, there is a serious question of what weird protocols those of us used to crossing the North Channel will have to undergo when our sailing is resumed. As I understand it the Scots can sail to Noriron (is that safe?) and then head south and onward to Europe without let or hindrance, we can even load bonded stores. Entry into the Schengen area from Ireland could, though I doubt it, be the same as before Brexit as we are travelling within the EU. While travelling by air there was an obvious border crossing on entry to Schengen or lack of it when transiting further abroad but sailing didn't always elicit the appearance of gun-toting officialdom.
EU and Schengen are not the same thing. EU rules apply to the boat, and Schengen apply to the crew. This has always been the case for third countries, but because the number of third country boats and crews coming into Europe has been small, the states most affected, particularly Greece and Italy (owing to their proximity to third country states) have "managed" it in their own idiosyncratic ways. Given the normally relatively large number of visitors from UK to N European states it will be interesting to see how they deal with it. The NI situation only adds another layer of potential confusion.

As I noted on another thread the EU is great at writing unworkable rules and then leaving it to individual states to find a way of operationalising them with the inevitable inconsistencies and inequities. Still it does give journalists something to write about and I have no doubt the Daily Mail will have a field day when we start moving again and all the consequences of the deal start to show up!

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Entry into the Schengen area from Ireland could, though I doubt it, be the same as before Brexit as we are travelling within the EU. While travelling by air there was an obvious border crossing on entry to Schengen or lack of it when transiting further abroad but sailing didn't always elicit the appearance of gun-toting officialdom.

The lack of problems were because you were at the time a European Citizen. Now you're not, there are new rules for you an the boat and each country will no doubt have their own interpretation.

Quandary

Visit site
Before the EU it was not unusual to get your meat products including ham sandwiches confiscated at Stranraer or Larne, provided you gave honest answers when questioned, however I never had our wee yacht searched for food, only for arms including once being approached by a rib that appeared out of nowhere as we approached the Mull of Kintyre.
These days they will just confiscate your dog.

As for Ulster it is the title of choice by Unionists hence UVF, UFF, UDA etc. The original UVF was established as an armed force to resist Home Rule, most of them, including my uncle, died at the Somme in 1916. The police force used to be calld the RUC, nowadays it is PSNI or pissnay.

Last edited:

TernVI

Visit site
Seriously I think it will be like going to France or Jersey back in the Foot'n'Mouth outbreak.
Just do not take any food ashore from your boat.
There is no need.
It poses a potential, if small, risk to agriculture.
Don't do it.
Non Problem.

dgadee

Visit site
Before the EU it was not unusual to get your meat products including ham sandwiches confiscated at Stranraer or Larne, provided you gave honest answers when questioned, however I never had our wee yacht searched for food, only for arms including once being approached by a rib that appeared out of nowhere as we approached the Mull of Kintyre.

My wife and I bought an antelope's head in an Edinburgh antique shop and brought it back to Belfast on the plane. I made her carry it in the airport and she got the usual badinage - "have you been to a stag party?" When we got to Belfast they were going to confiscate it as an animal product. I said it may have been an animal many decades ago, but it's not one now. They let us go and Abigail still hangs on the hallway wall.