Sailing to River Guardinia now

Peter

Visit site
Got a couple of friends, in Sardinia at the moment and want to sailing back to their mooreing in the river Guardinia, anchoring on the way back, not using marinas. Trying to say no to them, but fairly determined. Anyway seen all the stories but what's it actually like in Spain/Portugal at the moment as regards sailing. As going to send answers from this thread to them.

Last edited:

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Don't know where Sandina is and do you mean you mean river Guadiana? Very simple, don't do it. Police are very active and they could face heavy fine and maybe boat impounded. Even crossing from Alcoutim to SanLucar by small ferry or dinghy was banned some time ago. If a foreign registered boat, they could be refused entry, locked down aboard and told to get out of Portugal asap as happened to someone recently so, where will they go?

Visit site
Got a couple of friends, in Sandina at the moment and want to sailing back to their mooreing in the Guardinia, anchoring on the way back, not using marinas. Trying to say no to them, but fairly determined. Anyway seen all the stories but what's it actually like in Spain/Portugal at the moment as regards sailing. As going to send answers from this thread to them.
Quite simple - YOU CAN NOT ENTER.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Peter
There not one person I know who not ready to cased off his mooring lines and go off sailing , but there not because doing so Would be so I'll responsible , if they do they putting them self and other at risk if it all goes wrong.
Plus there a good chance they will end up as other have being stuck some where new ending up paying much more for mooring then they where and in quarantine at the same time , maybe a fine to go with it .

Munz

Visit site
Just moving anchor to another spot on the river is enough to get you in trouble with the maritime police these days, let alone arriving from somewhere else..... Suspect they'll get intercepted at Vila Real if they even make it that far....

Also irrespective of how long they've been at anchor or on a mooring, people without a Portuguese residence permit are not allowed to go ashore at all on the Portuguese side. But then again I guess they have residency/own property here if they are even considering this....

cherod

Visit site
Peter
There not one person I know who not ready to cased off his mooring lines and go off sailing , but there not because doing so Would be so I'll responsible , if they do they putting them self and other at risk if it all goes wrong.
Plus there a good chance they will end up as other have being stuck some where new ending up paying much more for mooring then they where and in quarantine at the same time , maybe a fine to go with it .
you assume that they " want to go sailing ",, there may be a multitude of other reasons why they want to be back in the Guadiana ( as mentioned, perhaps property owner / resident ) , and perhaps you should consider that they may be just as responsible and aware of the current situation as you are . the OP was asking if anybody on the ground knows the position , are you there ?? do you know ??

sailaboutvic

Visit site
you assume that they " want to go sailing ",, there may be a multitude of other reasons why they want to be back in the Guadiana ( as mentioned, perhaps property owner / resident ) , and perhaps you should consider that they may be just as responsible and aware of the current situation as you are . the OP was asking if anybody on the ground knows the position , are you there ?? do you know ??
You ask if I am there , yes , we under the same rule as the OP friends
You ask if I know , yes I do
I think I and many other who are stuck in the middle of it have a much better idea what's going on then some armchair sailor who so bored that the best he can do is pick on any posting to start an argument .
You seen to want to start an argument with any thing You that a dislike too.
You have tried this three times now over the last few weeks ,
I have no interest In arguing with you .
If you cant post in a civil way then don't bother to quote my posting thank you .

cherod

Visit site
You ask if I am there , yes , we under the same rule as the OP friends
You ask if I know , yes I do
I think I and many other who are stuck in the middle of it have a much better idea what's going on then some armchair sailor who so bored that the best he can do is pick on any posting to start an argument .
You seen to want to start an argument with any thing You that a dislike too.
You have tried this three times now over the last few weeks ,
I have no interest In arguing with you .
If you cant post in a civil way then don't bother to quote my posting thank you .
that did not come across in your post , rather more like another sanctimonious preacher of the obvious " chances " and possabilities instead of genuine instances ,,, tis a pity that you cant view someone questioning you without accusing them of picking a fight ... whatever. btw , i am not bored , i can keep myself amused / busy but i am a bit sick of sanctamoniuos do gooders being judgmental on people they know little about

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
that did not come across in your post , rather more like another sanctimonious preacher of the obvious " chances " and possabilities instead of genuine instances ,,, tis a pity that you cant view someone questioning you without accusing them of picking a fight ... whatever. btw , i am not bored , i can keep myself amused / busy but i am a bit sick of sanctamoniuos do gooders being judgmental on people they know little about
Sounds like you need to get out more. :LOL:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
To be honest I dont care how my posting came over to you , my concern is now for the 3rd time you pick on my posting to try and start an argument
And you last posting didn't help ( sanctamoniuos do gooders being judgmental on people they know little about)
We have 40 years of cruising under our belt with a net work of over 140 cruisers who we are in constant contract with over the world , so you could say we know a bit more Then someone who sitting in his flat calling other people names .
So I ask you in the most possible nicest way , just don't bother to quote my posting unless you have something constructive, better still just don't bother .

Graham376

Visit site
We have 40 years of cruising under our belt with a net work of over 140 cruisers who we are in constant contract with over the world , so you could say we know a bit more Then someone who sitting in his flat calling other people names .

Problem is, those who have never had to deal with foreign police don't seem to understand they're not like the pc UK flavour, they can be real barstewards and don't hesitate to arrest people, issue fines and impound or even confiscate boats.

The folks in question would be plain stupid to undertake the proposed passage and to satisfy cherod, yes I have been based in Portugal for 14 years and left there 10 days ago after having been in lock-down so I do know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Problem is, those who have never had to deal with foreign police don't seem to understand they're not like the pc UK flavour, they can be real barstewards and don't hesitate to arrest people, issue fines and impound or even confiscate boats.

The folks in question would be plain stupid to undertake the proposed passage and to satisfy cherod, yes I have been based in Portugal for 14 years and left there 10 days ago after having been in lock-down so I do know what I'm talking about.
Graham I read back at my posting to see what this guy Cherod on about ,
My posting was my option knowing what the situation out here is like.
There is more chance of the OP friends been stopped, fined or even arrested
And even if he did get back refusing entry or the very less put into quarantine then making it back without any problems .
What ever his reason is .

Italy is in lock down mode that includes Sardinia, in other words private boats shouldnt move full stop of cause that doesn't stop some from given it a go.
It be very ill responsible for anyone to encourage these people In Any way knowing they not only breaking the law in the country there In but also the moral side that they don't give a dam about who they may effect if they happen to be carrying the virus .
As us who are out here know , just this week one boat moved of his anchorage in Portugal to go to a marina to get his water maker fix , he been in Portugal for six weeks his now been instructed to leave the country, so you can imagine a boat coming in from Italy what would happen.
Putting that to one side , I wasn't surprise with Cherod posting as I said his tried this before and not only with me , I did ignore him before but best in my view to put a stop to it now before it gets out of hand.

Star-Lord

Visit site
It is very simple.. wait till movement is allowed which will probably be in the summer. Here is an extract of email from the Guadiana from a few days ago... it is grim there.. Also if you need hospital treatment you are a lot better served in Sardinia and come winter and there may be more trouble ahead Sardinia will be stocking up with medical supplies ready to meet demand... I was thinking of going to Guadiana as well but the only reason to do so is if you have no funds whatsoever and need free mooring - and in that case wait till movement is allowed. I am only guessing but imagine you should be able to get back in July/Aug.

Well I’m not coughing any more than usual, so that’s a good sign.
Everything closed here: bars, restaurants , non-essential shops.
3,000 infected and 43 dead. But next door in Spain things are very bad.
Went to supermarket 10 days ago with mask and gloves. Limit to number of people in shop, all very calm and controlled. And no obvious shortages.
Foreign boats banned from pontoon in -------, though they are on pontoons at Alcoutim. Need to flag down policia maritime on their next patrol and ask to go and fill up with water.
The shut down could last a long time and will do terrible damage to the economy of the Algarve. But the alternatives with the elderly local population risk a biblical scale disaster.
Oh and Portugal has the lowest rate of ICU beds in Europe!
Keep well and enjoy the pasta.

Graham376

Visit site

I saw nothing wrong with your posting whatsoever, just treat him as the troll he appears to be. Perhaps some people don't understand that Portugal is operating under a State of Emergency, which give authorities almost unlimited powers to take whatever action they see fit, on the spot. Civil Disobedience is the usual offence for infringements.

cherod

Visit site
To be honest I dont care how my posting came over to you , my concern is now for the 3rd time you pick on my posting to try and start an argument
And you last posting didn't help ( sanctamoniuos do gooders being judgmental on people they know little about)
So I ask you in the most possible nicest way , just don't bother to quote my posting unless you have something constructive, better still just don't bother .
seems a litlle paranoid,,, esp when a simple " yes " would suffice

cherod

Visit site
There is more chance of the OP friends been stopped, fined or even arrested
And even if he did get back refusing entry or the very less put into quarantine then making it back without any problems .
What ever his reason is .

Italy is in lock down mode that includes Sardinia, in other words private boats shouldnt move full stop of cause that doesn't stop some from given it a go.
It be very ill responsible for anyone to encourage these people In Any way knowing they not only breaking the law in the country there In but also the moral side that they don't give a dam about who they may effect if they happen to be carrying the virus .
As us who are out here know , just this week one boat moved of his anchorage in Portugal to go to a marina to get his water maker fix , he been in Portugal for six weeks his now been instructed to leave the country, so you can imagine a boat coming in from Italy what would happen.
Putting that to one side , I wasn't surprise with Cherod posting as I said his tried this before and not only with me , I did ignore him before but best in my view to put a stop to it now before it gets out of hand.
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

nortada

Visit site

Speaking from recent personal experience (last week) in The Algarve.

It is possible to move your boat but to do so you have to get specific clearance from Immigration, have a good reason and provide a crew list.

Unless you are sinking, I am fairly certain that a trip up or down the Guadiana would not be cleared.

Visit site
Speaking from recent personal experience (last week) in The Algarve.

It is possible to move your boat but to do so you have to get specific clearance from Immigration, have a good reason and provide a crew list.

Unless you are sinking, I am fairly certain that a trip up or down the Guadiana would not be cleared.
As I posted recently a boat was refused entry to Portimao and had to leave Portuguese waters. I finder it sad that there are new members who want to fight with some who were sailing when the new members were still wearing nappies.

Graham376

Visit site
As I posted recently a boat was refused entry to Portimao and had to leave Portuguese waters. I finder it sad that there are new members who want to fight with some who were sailing when the new members were still wearing nappies.

Just heard that over the Easter period, people will be restricted to their local area to stop travel to see relatives, you heard about this?