Sailing in scilly part one

deaks

Visit site
Brilliant Pete, following the Video and your commentary while looking at my Mapsource charts. Armchair sailing or what!
Not sure what mic you use and if it's got a wind muff on it but you might experiment with some old fluffy fibre pile fabric and if you need to make a small wire cage to keep the fabric from rubbing on the mic then why not drink a bottle of Cava and use the wire aroung the cork?

Really good steady camera work.

Deaks

Scillypete

www.peteandspamgosailing.blogspot.com
Thanks for that, it was a good day out.
The camera work gets fairly shaky at times. The camera is a JVC hard disc drive jobby with a built in mic which I have found to be a PITA when there is any breeze at all. Unfortunately there is no way of connecting a seperate mic either, might just have to resort to glueing some fur over the built in mic.

deaks

Visit site
If you can let me have the model number Pete of the JVC i'll look into it.
I have the Hi Def Semi Professional version for my work but was thinking of getting a hard drive small one for a discreet camera that can record for more that the standard tape lengths of 1 hr.

Maybe encase the entire camera (except for the lense and the record/pause button!) in fur?

Scillypete

Its the GZ-MG142EK and from reading the instructions there is no facility for a plug in mic, which I wish I knew before I bought it. Having said that it is ideal for messing about with and with a 40gb drive it gives up to 50hrs of recording on the lowest level setting, but i would not want to sift through that much filming in one hit.

A fur glove is looking favourite.

deaks

Visit site
Looking at the manual pg 47 it does refer to a wind reduction facility but even if you do have that on every time you point the camera into the wind you will still get wind noise.
So as the twin mics are at the lower part of the camera front maybe a shallow pocket/tray of the fibre pile with a small flap at the front that cam be lifted over the mic holes and held with elastic bands etc very high tech.

An alternative might be something along the lines of a pistol grip with I think a 3/8 thread.
The idea is to make a shield to stop the wind blowing directly in to the mic. Or just use the right size bolt and attach a short piece of plastic with a wind shield just in front of the mics.

Here is the Real thing but the prices are......
http://www.rycote.com/products/families/mini-windjammers-camcorder/

I found this link for a High Capacity compatible battery
http://www.digiprintuk.com/jvc-bnvf823-p-1398.html?gclid=CI20z-2Ho5oCFQMQswodN0I0-Q at a very good price.

Have fun and please say hello to Carol (wildbird) and Suzy (Goosewing) when they land on your shores in a few weeks.

John

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Liked the cruise vid, but was horrified by Henry charging for anchoring! How on earth can that be justified - it's not even a harbour (even if they label it that)? /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

As a determined won't-be-charged-for-anchoring-er what do you reckon would happen if I refused to pay?

Scillypete

Henry, is a very reasonable and pleasant bloke, and as he is just an employee of the estate I don't know what his ressponse would be. I will ask him next time I see him. I know he has had a few 2 and 8's with non payers before but no idea of the outcome. Anchoring is cheaper than the moorings.
Their claim lies in the fact that they lease the island from the duchy and therefore own the seabed at least as far as it dries, methinks they are claiming somewhat further than that which is pushing it a bit. They claim that the limits of the harbour lie within a line from Cromwells castle to Merrick island then to plumb island and the shore of Tresco. There's a lot of deep water in that area.