Sailing in Greece

wwalsh

Visit site
RANT ALERT - Greece has opened up to Turks arriving by air or by road but are still not accepting ferries or private yachts arriving from Turkey - except yachts with professional crew only onboard and no passengers, owners etc. So if you're well heeled enough to have a professionally crewed boat you just drive or fly across to meet them in Greece. Meanwhile us owner crewed plebs are not welcome. Bloody nonsense. Rant prompted by seeing that a yacht belonging to the richest family in Turkey which I was anchored cose to 10 days ago is anchored off Agia Marina tonight.

According to the law it is permitted since 11/08. If you have problem use a good agent Yacht fuel bunkering, yacht berthing reservations and arrival formalities in Rhodes and Symi, Greece - Roditis Yachting Agency

Hellenic Republic government gazette 11/08/2021 B'3712
https://www.nomotelia.gr/photos/File/3712b-21.pdf

The arrival of pleasure craft in the Greek Territory, regardless of flag, coming from Turkey, is allowed as long as the occupants have completed at least fourteen (14) days vaccine or have been diagnosed negative either in laboratory test by PCR 72 hours, rapid test 48 hours or certificate of illness issued 30 days after the first positive control and validity up to 180 days. The first arrival at Greek Territory is allowed exclusively to ports of Kavala, Mytilene, Chios, Vatheos and Pythagoras of Samos, Myrina of Lemnos, Agia Marina of Leros, Symi, Kalymnos, Skala Patmos, as well as in the ports of Kos and Rhodes.

At least six (6) hours before their arrival the masters / masters inform the competent Port Authority the information concern the vaccination or test etc.

Ανοίγουν τα θαλάσσια σύνορα στις θαλαμηγούς από Τουρκία | Κοινή Γνώμη
Από την απόφαση στο… ΦΕΚ! | Η ΡΟΔΙΑΚΗ

Irish Rover

Visit site
According to the law it is permitted since 11/08. If you have problem use a good agent Yacht fuel bunkering, yacht berthing reservations and arrival formalities in Rhodes and Symi, Greece - Roditis Yachting Agency

Hellenic Republic government gazette 11/08/2021 B'3712
https://www.nomotelia.gr/photos/File/3712b-21.pdf

The arrival of pleasure craft in the Greek Territory, regardless of flag, coming from Turkey, is allowed as long as the occupants have completed at least fourteen (14) days vaccine or have been diagnosed negative either in laboratory test by PCR 72 hours, rapid test 48 hours or certificate of illness issued 30 days after the first positive control and validity up to 180 days. The first arrival at Greek Territory is allowed exclusively to ports of Kavala, Mytilene, Chios, Vatheos and Pythagoras of Samos, Myrina of Lemnos, Agia Marina of Leros, Symi, Kalymnos, Skala Patmos, as well as in the ports of Kos and Rhodes.

At least six (6) hours before their arrival the masters / masters inform the competent Port Authority the information concern the vaccination or test etc.

Ανοίγουν τα θαλάσσια σύνορα στις θαλαμηγούς από Τουρκία | Κοινή Γνώμη
Από την απόφαση στο… ΦΕΚ! | Η ΡΟΔΙΑΚΗ
Thank you. I take it all back.

Gixer

Visit site
My family and I are flying to Greece on Sunday. Wife and I fully vaccinated, 13 year old and 10 year old not vaccinated.
13 year old needs a paid for test 72 hours before we fly.
Free test for all before we get on the boat.
Paid for test for all three days before we fly home
Paid for test for all two days after we arrive back in the UK
All in £320

Worth it? i'll let you know.....

Last edited:

SailingDog

Visit site
My family and I are flying to Greece on Sunday. Wife and I fully vaccinated, 13 year old and 10 year old not vaccinated.
13 year old needs a paid for test 72 hours before we fly.
Free test for all before we get on the boat.
Paid for test for all three days before we fly home
Paid for test for all two days after we arrive back in the UK
All in £320

Worth it? i'll let you know.....
Thank you, very useful. We are bare boat chartering and pondering the issue of how difficult/time consuming it may prove to get required tests when we don't know exactly where we may be on a given day.

Thanks again for your response.

Gixer

Visit site
No worries,

We decided to buy all our tests and take them with us. I think trying to find them in Greece could be difficult and could be expensive.
You also need to fill in 2 PLF's one when going out and one when returning.

affinite

Visit site
No worries,

We decided to buy all our tests and take them with us. I think trying to find them in Greece could be difficult and could be expensive.
You also need to fill in 2 PLF's one when going out and one when returning.

Gixer Just curious ...
Can I ask which fit-to fly test you bought for the return to UK ?
How is it certified?

We've done 2 trips this year.
On the first (return) trip we did a lateral flow test supervised by a "Doctor" on a WhatsApp video call. Is that what you bought ?
For the second (return) trip we found a clinic (On Leros) doing free lateral flow tests which was welcome as we were also travelling with a 12 and 10 year old

For our next trip we are going to use the test centre in Athens Airport before flight home ATH-LHR

Thx

Gixer

Visit site
We've bought some Antigen Rapid Tests to use three days before flying back. Apparently you do the test, take a photo and send to the lab, they then email/text you a certificate. cost about £40 per test.

We're flying out of Preveza, I've got no idea whats there.

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
Affinate, this may help, you can do the video test 72hrs before return or you can take these with you and simply upload your results by photo, there are others offering the same service, not tried them but it is something we are looking into. cost is £25.
Pre-Departure Lateral Flow Test | The LivingCare Group | Leeds
Interesting, I assumed that the test had to be carried out locally at a clinic. I thought a DIY version would probably not be allowed because it would be too easy to fudge.

How would anyone know if you carried out the test when you arrived and sent the picture of the test on the correct day?
OR
Take NHS tests with you and test everyone in your group. A person with a negative test could take the test for someone showing positive and you'd just photograph their result.

I'm certain there are other possibilities.

We'd just go into quarantine in Greece if either of us was +ve. It is just silly to fly after a +ve result but I'd bet that isn't a universal view and some only think of themselves. I think that the Greek Government used to pay the hotel bill for quaratine, no idea if that is still the case.

I will investigate the DIY test mentioned in your link to make certain it is acceptable for EasyJet return from Greece. I have tried asking some questions but their "customer service" is slow and will answer a different question (i.e. Not the one you need to be answered).

The LivingCare Group website says:
These can be used for travel to a number of destinations including flying back to the UK – But please check with the country you are travelling to to ensure that it’s accepted as we are unable to advise on this!
I found a much cheaper day 2 test for £28 each instead of £85 each from Living Care Group Fully Vaccinated Amber Arrivals - Day 2 Test (Home Kit). I thought the price on Scottish Government site was £68, Living Care Group seem rather expensive (or not updated their site recently).

I wouldn't fly with a +ve test but don't really care too much about the day 2 test as long as I get the code for the PLF to enter UK. I'll be self-isolating anyway just in case. We have food delivered and won't be seeing anyone or visiting. No problem if the test turns up late and we can always do our own NHS tests several days after returning if there's an invalid result.

Last edited:

wwalsh

Visit site
In athens i used GoBackSafe at metropolitan hospital faliro. The only difficulty was where to go at the hospital (if you dont have reservation it is at the x-ray dept but the gobacksafe reservation is for the office behind the portacabin at the front. 08:00 booking completed by 08:30 with certificate for rapid test (20 EUR).

Lefkada town Λευκάδα - Μικροβιολογικό Εργαστήριο, Αιματολογικό, Βιοχημικό, Γενικές Εξετάσεις, Βιόληψις | Λευκάδα - Μικροβιολογικό Εργαστήριο
Lefkada nidri HOME - IASSIST
Corfu Gouvia Homepage - CORFUMEDICA
Corfu town Ιατρικό Διαγνωστικό Εργαστήριο Κέρκυρα | Ευρωδιάγνωση Κέρκυρας
Kefalonia Argostoli Lixouri Αρχική
At preveza airport they have testing Air Covid Test Center

Last edited:

Gixer

Visit site
The tests we're taking with us are recommended by our charter company so I cant see it being a problem. I'll let you know next week :)

Davy_S

Visit site
Interesting, I assumed that the test had to be carried out locally at a clinic. I thought a DIY version would probably not be allowed because it would be too easy to fudge.

How would anyone know if you carried out the test when you arrived and sent the picture of the test on the correct day?
OR
Take NHS tests with you and test everyone in your group. A person with a negative test could take the test for someone showing positive and you'd just photograph their result.
We are due to fly to Kefalonia in September, sleezyjet, we could have booked tests at Argostoli (around 60 euros) but we spotted the tests that you do yourself with a video link with a doctor, i wondered about this as it was not clear what app was needed, i have google duo, then we saw the ones were you ordered the test and took it with you, you still have to book a date and time, you upload the results with a photo and your passport, i suppose what you suggest using someone else's results is a possibility, it seemed an easier option to do the photo yourself, we are still looking into it though.

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
In athens i used GoBackSafe at metropolitan hospital faliro. The only difficulty was where to go at the hospital (if you dont have reservation it is at the x-ray dept but the gobacksafe reservation is for the office behind the portacabin at the front. 08:00 booking completed by 08:30 with certificate for rapid test (20 EUR).

Lefkada town Λευκάδα - Μικροβιολογικό Εργαστήριο, Αιματολογικό, Βιοχημικό, Γενικές Εξετάσεις, Βιόληψις | Λευκάδα - Μικροβιολογικό Εργαστήριο
Lefkada nidri HOME - IASSIST
Corfu Gouvia Homepage - CORFUMEDICA
Corfu town Ιατρικό Διαγνωστικό Εργαστήριο Κέρκυρα | Ευρωδιάγνωση Κέρκυρας
Kefalonia Argostoli Lixouri Αρχική
At preveza airport they have testing Air Covid Test Center
I think that I had seen the other facilities listed, but Aktion airport's webisite stated that they did not have any Covid testing facilities.

The website (Aktion Airport (PVK) - Get ready for your travels) still says:
Currently there are no Covid-19 testing facilities within the airport premises. Below you may find an indicative list of diagnostic medical centers/clinics/laboratories.

Good to know that has changed, I hope that they update the website.

Last edited:

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
We are due to fly to Kefalonia in September, sleezyjet, we could have booked tests at Argostoli (around 60 euros) but we spotted the tests that you do yourself with a video link with a doctor, i wondered about this as it was not clear what app was needed, i have google duo, then we saw the ones were you ordered the test and took it with you, you still have to book a date and time, you upload the results with a photo and your passport, i suppose what you suggest using someone else's results is a possibility, it seemed an easier option to do the photo yourself, we are still looking into it though.
Thanks, I see that Aktion airport seems to have test facilities now. We will drive past the airport almost every day and it seems like a good option now.

There seem to be a large number of ways to fake the DIY results. e.g. Change date on your camera to just before you return, turn on date time in picture and proceed with test. If you do the test just after testing in UK then a fail is unlikely. Send the picture off before returning.

No consideration for other passengers and I wouldn't consider it. However, it is a worry when flying as there are selfish people around and many ways to cheat.

Gixer

Visit site
Thanks, I see that Aktion airport seems to have test facilities now. We will drive past the airport almost every day and it seems like a good option now.

Aktion = Perveza right?

That's good to know if we screw up the tests we're taking with us. :)

Mistroma

www.mistroma.com
Aktion = Perveza right?

That's good to know if we screw up the tests we're taking with us. :)
Yes, Aktion (PVK) is the airport near Preveza. The link provided by wwalsh (Air Covid Test Center) says that they are in PVK Airport, Room 0215 and open Mon.-Sun. 07:00-21:00. Rapid Antigen Test result within 20 mins. for 20 euro (PCR is 12-24 hours for 60 euro). We will probably check out the location on arrival and also ask EasyJet staff in case they aren't reliable.

Most of the local test labs. only work Mon.-Fri. and mention 24 hour turnaround. You'd need a test on Thursday for result on Friday. We plan to return on a Wednesday and a Friday test is too soon. Monday test with result on Tuesday is the only option and I noticed Sunsail saying the test lab. at the marina charged 100 euro.

The airport test seems a much better bet on cost, convenience and easy of re-test if a result is invalid. I will search for better backup options, just in case. Useful for you to consider it as a backup in case you mess up any of your DIY tests.