Sailing clubs in lockdown..

Tomahawk

Visit site
First apologies for posting this on Scuttlebutt instead of the C19 forum, but I am hoping to reach more people than those who look in there..

Are you a member of a sailing/yacht club?
If so what is the committee doing allowing by way of service for members?

Is the club house open?
Is the bar open?
Are changing rooms open?
If the club used to do food, is it still available?
If so, is it a proper sit down meal Etc or take away sandwiches?

I am asking because the clubs near here are locked down to the hilt not allowing members to use the club house bar ... yet the pubs and restaurants are open and serving customers inside. Are clubs being subject to different regulations to pubs and restaurants because they are acting very different to commercial organisations?

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Both clubs that I am a member of are fully open although there are some restrictions such the menu being smaller.

While my home club's marina is open to visiting boats I have noticed that doesn't seem to be the case elsewhere

Giblets

Visit site
Surely the choice to open is down to the individual premises. I suspect sailing clubs get the major part of their income from membership fees/winter berthing ashore, etc and so do not need to rely on punters through the doors as do pubs & restaurants for their income.

If you are a member of said clubs of which you speak why not ask them?

Tomahawk

Visit site
Absolutely, it is down to the individual clubs on how they operate.
What I am trying to understand is if there is any variation in how they operate . And if that variation is being imposed by the regulations or if it is down to how the committees interpret the regulations.

Underlying is the issue of paying for the use of a club house but being denied that use because the committee choose to be stupid or are they really so constrained by comparison to a pub?

Giblets

Visit site
Absolutely, it is down to the individual clubs on how they operate.
What I am trying to understand is if there is any variation in how they operate . And if that variation is being imposed by the regulations or if it is down to how the committees interpret the regulations.

Underlying is the issue of paying for the use of a club house but being denied that use because the committee choose to be stupid or are they really so constrained by comparison to a pub?
Probably best to have a look at the terms and rules of membership to see what exactly what it entitles you to and also if any temporary restrictions can be enforced.

I suspect the demographic of most sailing clubs contains a lot of folk of an age where they fall into the vulnerable groups and as such the committee have decided to close the doors rather than a) risk transmission between members and b) expend the money to make the premises compliant with the regs.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Indeed you are on the making tack.. We keep getting emails telling us the committee is doing everything to keep us safe..

But FFS, we are offshore yachtsmen. We dance with the widowmaker every time we cast off and leave the harbour. . Yet we are still alive after sailing for 40 plus years.. That says something about keeping ourselves safe in a dangerous environment. Were it not so, we would be long dead. Even the sense to not go sailing because the forecast is predicting a gale demonstrates safety and risk assessment. I do not need a committee to be my safety office. I am perfectly capable of leaving the club house if it gets crowded and I consider there is an infection risk.. What I want is the opportunity to be able to make that choice for myself and not be denied access to the clubhouse on account of a perceived risk I can manage.

But what I wonder is the extend other clubs are acting like nervous children seeing a bogeyman under every toadstool? Or if other clubs.. including (god forbid) Golf Clubs are acting the same?

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Most clubs will just be following the RYA guidance so club houses shut, very limited sailing mostly single handed or same family crew, no racing as such etc.

We are just sailing as owners / crew outside of the scope of the club.

There was no crane in so most of the cruisers are still on the hard and there will be no crane out. We slipway launched and will slipway recover.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Most clubs will just be following the RYA guidance so club houses shut, very limited sailing mostly single handed or same family crew, no racing as such etc.

There was no crane in so most of the cruisers are still on the hard and there will be no crane out. We slipway launched and will slipway recover.

Can't speak for Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands but in my neck of the woods I don't recall it being as busy before as it is now.

Plenty of racing seems to be happening as well.

Tomahawk

Visit site

Indeed the RYA seems to feature very large..
Does anyone know why they recommend closing the clubhouse ... especially when pubs are open ?

Leighb

Visit site
Our club has taken a reasonably cautious but progressive view on the situation. As soon as were were allowed to sail at all, they started serving limited drinks (bottled only) and snacks but only to consume outside on the lawn, the club marina was open for use by members and visitors, they then started providing a wider range of food and drinks still to consume outside on tables limited to 6 persons from 2 house holds (in theory ;)) More recently they have opened up some indoor tables also. Opening hours are restricted mainly to weekends, whereas we are normally open every day at this time of year. Dinghy/keelboat racing resumed with active participation, we managed to hold our Junior Racing Week with reduced numbers and other restrictions. Some visiting clubs have been and were able to have a meal in the club. Altogether, although not anywhere near "normal", we are getting good service, all thanks to the hardworking staff and members of the General Committee and the Flag Officers.

st599

Visit site
Are clubs being subject to different regulations to pubs and restaurants because they are acting very different to commercial organisations?

Yes and No.

You can create a CoVid Secure bar/food area - but you'd be under the same enhanced cleaning, test and trace requirements etc.
Until DCMS release the guidelines on club changing areas and other facilities, it's impossible to be Covid secure and very hard to open those - a bit like swimming pool changing rooms.

Tomahawk

Visit site
Do you know what Gold Clubs, Cricket Clubs and other similar clubs are doing?

Clearly rugby, football etc are close contact sports which often get very muddy and need changing rooms, but what about their social side?

I don't belong to any other sort of club to compare how sailing clubs are behaving viz a viz..

Tomahawk

Visit site
Just found tis on a Golf club website..

THE INDOOR GUIDE LINES ARE AS FOLLOWS:-

No more than two people at a table.
No moving of furniture.
Follow the one way system.
No standing and drinking at any time.
Keep to social distancing guidelines.
There will be sanitizers located around the clubhouse and we would like to reassure our customers that regular cleansing of tables etc. will take place.
Although your visit may feel different at the moment we would very much appreciate your total cooperation in order for us to remain open for business.
We look forward to seeing you soon in the meantime STAY SAFE.

Seems some golf clubs are offering a service.

HissyFit

Visit site
A so called social/sports club is acting like an extension of the nanny state with overtones of the Stazi thrown in fo good measure
I bet there is no complaint about the nanny state in China. Complain and you disappear for re-education. There is not debate. Perhaps the Government should have put up roadblocks on day one and imprisoned people for violations.

Aquaboy

Visit site
It seems social settings are a big contributor to the spread of covid so surely the more clubs that stay closed the better,
...........and you can just go sailing more.

[159032]

Visit site
Indeed the RYA seems to feature very large..
Does anyone know why they recommend closing the clubhouse ... especially when pubs are open ?

The pubs that are being restricted again. Are those the pubs you mean?
Eventually people will learn that we have to live with Covid and that getting infected is not a personal choice. Avoiding infection is a social responsibility.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
It seems, Tommy, you are just using this thread as a stick to beat covid imposed restrictions with.....

If I was involved in running such a place, I would just shut. No issues, no worries about some indignant turning up two years later claiming they got something nasty for not staying away. If it doesn't stop you using your boat, I can't quite see the problem. But you know what these committee jobsworths are like. ???