Sailing allowed in lockdown

matt1

Visit site
Yes, not sure what staying local really means. It doesn't seem to be defined. The slipway to paddle board out to my boat is around a 10 min car drive, which I consider to be on the limit of local. Given I will be entirely on my own and have been more socially distanced than the average person (by some margin), I think it's probably reasonable. I did check with Hants police during Lockdown 1.0 and followed their instruction not to. Given the Hbr master has permitted limited river use in this lockdown I think I'm in keeping with the spirit of the rules.

I've looked through the www.gov.uk guidance at length and did laugh at the "you must not leave your town or village" description in the Govt guidance. How quaint....….I live in the sprawling Southampton / Eastleigh conurbation - where does my "town / village" start and end I wonder?

SailingDog

Visit site
Yes, not sure what staying local really means. It doesn't seem to be defined. The slipway to paddle board out to my boat is around a 10 min car drive, which I consider to be on the limit of local. Given I will be entirely on my own and have been more socially distanced than the average person (by some margin), I think it's probably reasonable. I did check with Hants police during Lockdown 1.0 and followed their instruction not to. Given the Hbr master has permitted limited river use in this lockdown I think I'm in keeping with the spirit of the rules.

I've looked through the www.gov.uk guidance at length and did laugh at the "you must not leave your town or village" description in the Govt guidance. How quaint....….I live in the sprawling Southampton / Eastleigh conurbation - where does my "town / village" start and end I wonder?
I guess that's the issue, say you live in West End does local mean you can't cross the road into Bittern ? Are there supermarkets local if not you have to travel. It's a mess.
Ps don't know the area well, did some work at The General.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Accepted if that's the case. My vessel is 15 to 20 mins away, is that really local. I'm making the decision to not sail now in questionable conditions in the hope that lockdown will be eased by the time the weather is better. Today's glorious however.

Mine is 15 to 20 mins away too... if I drive realllly reallly fast. :).

lustyd

Visit site
I think their point was that it could have been in the law too, but it isn't. It's obviously the spirit of the lockdown this time though

SailingDog

Visit site
@matt1 and @SailingDog your challenge - should you decide to accept it - is to find anything relating to about "staying local" in the Statutory Instrument that gave Wednesday's restriction force of law.
Not sure of the point you are making, does it have to be law before folks do the right thing, we have been asked to stay at home. My view is if we don't do what little we can to try and get the infection numbers down, we will end up missing another sailing season through restrictions, I would sooner do it now than later in the year.

Every one has to do what works for them.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I think their point was that it could have been in the law too, but it isn't. It's obviously the spirit of the lockdown this time though

Indeed, and this all had happened when I lived in Cambridgeshire I would not be thinking about traveling to the South or East Coast. However I think worrying about the boundaries within the urban sprawl around Southampton/Portsmouth is perhaps unnecessary if modest distances are involved.

Regulations and guidance have to be read together - that's how it works.

No, there are instances when statutory guidance is issued such as Health & Safety legislation or the Highway code where there are 'catch all' offences such as DWDCA but in this instance the legislation simply provides a non-exhaustive list of "reasonable excuses" where leaving home would be lawful.

Reactions: DJE

Nina Lucia

Visit site
Driving from London to South Coast to check the boat that is on a swinging mooring and not staying overnight? I think it is essential to look after our own vessel.

lustyd

Visit site
Driving from London to South Coast to check the boat that is on a swinging mooring and not staying overnight? I think it is essential to look after our own vessel.
I'll certainly be heading to mine in January as I need to move to a different marina. I won't be interacting with anyone on that trip, and won't be leaving the harbour. I doubt we'll even untie the fenders!

Reactions: RJJ

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Last edited:

lustyd

Visit site
I hope you meant pastry. As a Cornishman I may have to defend the honour of the pasty!

RJJ

Visit site
I'll be doing that, or similar. Boat on a very exposed river trot and there's nobody else keeping an eye. So I won't be doing it often, but perhaps monthly or after any severe weather. Happy to explain my actions if asked.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
The government were asked to clarify their position on 'stay local' in relation to exercise and the reply from the minister for sport Nigel Huddleston was as follows

As you are aware, the government’s current guidance regarding outdoor exercise states that people are allowed to leave their home to exercise outdoors, and should remain as local as possible.

As you state, people’s circumstances are different and so this guidance relies on people to use their common sense to determine what is and is not a reasonable distance for their outdoor exercise.

I appreciate the concerns you raise and agree that sport and physical activity play a crucial role in supporting people to be active and healthy. No government would want to be in a position of needing to restrict something that brings so many benefits to so many people and communities.

As we navigate these necessary new restrictions, we remain clear on just how important exercise is to people's health and wellbeing, whilst staying safe at home.

So as clear as mud then