Sailing allowed in lockdown

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Cowes Harbour Commission seems to be relatively liberal, Cowes has plenty of commercial traffic so it's too much for jobsworths to lock it down..the website has just been updated, double-check but I think you would be fine.

Back in May where most places were open for short stays East Cowes Marina had to get special dispensation for CHC to host 'pre booked' visitors from Haslar as they were one of the last to remove the blanket ban on recreational use.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com

RJJ

Visit site
Have you visited their website in the last few months?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Current Affairs | Knowledge & Advice | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

New national restrictions in England from 5 November

Looks to me as though a lot of hard work is being put in. ??
I think the RYA has done a good job all-round, reflecting the concern we all have to go maintain our boats/go sailing since typically we go nowhere near anyone.

They went to some pains back in April to contest the private marinas blanket ban on us attending our boats.

I found Stuart Carruthers very helpful. If you have specific concerns please do write to him...if you are a member of course.

Blue Sunray

Visit site

jimi

Visit site
So why are you not complaining about what they are doing instead of the RYA?
The RYA claims to be "The Royal Yachting Association is the national body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sports boats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising. "

The CA’s Memorandum of Association specifies the Objectives of the CA as follows
  • To make information about cruising available to its Members
  • To advance the understanding of safe navigation and seamanship and all the skills necessary for cruising in all types of leisure craft
  • To promote and protect the sport of cruising in leisure craft
  • To promote the preservation and protection of harbours, navigational facilities, estuaries, coasts and their environs
  • To be a centre of excellence for the support of cruising activities
  • To do all such other things as the Association’s directors consider to be incidental or conductive to the attainment of the objects
Based on these objectives the RYA is the prime body to make representations on behalf of all watercraft and users, the CA is rather more limited in its scope.

I'm not sure that we'd get £74 worth of value from joining the RYA, and actually i'm not sure I get value from the CA, we joined because of its Baltic connections.

capnsensible

www.herculessailing.com
Like I said, a Ponzi scheme masquerading as training and certification. I suspected that you might be along to defend them as I wouldn't expect turkeys to vote for Christmas.
It's a shame you don't take the time to contact them directly with your criticisms.

Can you explain why you are making the comparison to a ponzi scheme? I'm sure you must have some solid evidence for that. ?

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Have you visited their website in the last few months?

Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Current Affairs | Knowledge & Advice | RYA - Royal Yachting Association

New national restrictions in England from 5 November

Looks to me as though a lot of hard work is being put in. ??

It's not the information nexus that I'm pointing out... (though this is supposed to be a Civil Service function to distribute information...)... rather they seem to have lost their campaigning and influence to get Sailing recognized and on the agenda. They've done virtually nothing except virtue signalling to get better access to sailing for disabled people or the disadvantaged (the Welsh Government has done more) or anyone else for that matter (maybe we need to reconsider their charitable status).

The RYA should be campaigning and heck insisting that bubbles should be allowed to go sailing and maintain their boats in a socially distanced way as much as practicable. They should be insisting on access to marinas and boat yards where it is possible to socially distance. Even if this means a day by day rota. (And no I don't think the majority of the current rules make sense for sailing).

The RYA are simply doing the government's job for them and that's not the point of the RYA.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
It's not the information nexus that I'm pointing out... (though this is supposed to be a Civil Service function to distribute information...)... rather they seem to have lost their campaigning and influence to get Sailing recognized and on the agenda. They've done virtually nothing except virtue signalling to get better access to sailing for disabled people or the disadvantaged (the Welsh Government has done more) or anyone else for that matter (maybe we need to reconsider their charitable status).

The RYA should be campaigning and heck insisting that bubbles should be allowed to go sailing and maintain their boats in a socially distanced way as much as practicable. They should be insisting on access to marinas and boat yards where it is possible to socially distance. Even if this means a day by day rota. (And no I don't think the majority of the current rules make sense for sailing).

The RYA are simply doing the government's job for them and that's not the point of the RYA.

But if they did that the government might give some other body (or even take in house) the right to award all those boating qualifications, just think of the loss of income and redundancies.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
But if they did that the government might give some other body (or even take in house) the right to award all those boating qualifications, just think of the loss of income and redundancies.

Very much so. That being said the RYA courses have a reputation in their own right and like RoSPA and IAM I think they could do well on that reputation alone but it's not really a charitable organization in my book.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
Very much so. That being said the RYA courses have a reputation in their own right and like RoSPA and IAM I think they could do well on that reputation alone but it's not really a charitable organization in my book.

Yes, IAM seems a pretty good analogy for where they'd be on the qualification/training front without the government franchise and perhaps we'd have a body that fought for all boaters' interests.

Last edited:

FlyingGoose

Visit site
During last lock down I took the hump with a Scottish RYA release regarding certain wording they used in their statement regarding boating,
I got a response within 24 hours rationally explaining their position and they changed the wording slightly to better reflect the regulations .
I was not a member , but was pleasantly surprised at their professionalism. Also their work behind the scene on behalf of boaters .And I was a true sceptic , so happy to. Be proven wrong