SailGP

Beelzebub

Visit site
I managed to capsize a GP at 03.00 (yes, 3.00 a.m.) a few years back in a gybe that went wrong in a 24 hour race. It took an age to empty the damned thing. Give me a Fireball any day.

Bobc

Visit site
Take a garden shed. Turn it upside down. Put a mast in it. You now have a GP14.

Lightwave395

Visit site
Take a garden shed. Turn it upside down. Put a mast in it. You now have a GP14.

A bit brutal but certainly not the slickest boat across todays trendy RS whatevers.
However, it works for me with a bunch of 'not really sailors' grandchildren who I take out in the school holidays, they're pretty stable compared to an Enterprise and I don't want the hassle or cost of a much bigger and heavier Wayfarer. The kids enjoy a bit of sailing, rowing and motoring around with my O/B - mine did also cost me the princely sum of £30 including the trailer so I'm not complaining.
Having said that, they did rather well across a range of weather conditions in the 2019/2020 Sailjuice series - in the top 3 on handicap a couple of times in big fleets - not bad for an upside down shed !

Bobc

Visit site
A bit brutal but certainly not the slickest boat across todays trendy RS whatevers.
However, it works for me with a bunch of 'not really sailors' grandchildren who I take out in the school holidays, they're pretty stable compared to an Enterprise and I don't want the hassle or cost of a much bigger and heavier Wayfarer. The kids enjoy a bit of sailing, rowing and motoring around with my O/B - mine did also cost me the princely sum of £30 including the trailer so I'm not complaining.
Having said that, they did rather well across a range of weather conditions in the 2019/2020 Sailjuice series - in the top 3 on handicap a couple of times in big fleets - not bad for an upside down shed !
Just pulling your chain ;-)

I bet Ben found the GP50's a bit of a big stable platform after spending time on the new monohull foilers.

lw395

Visit site
The GP is known as a 'boat which doesn't even burn quickly', but being slow possibly helps give good racing for a variety of people.
It's still a class which attracts some good sailors and runs some decent opens and championships.
If speed was everything, we'd all be sailing cats.
But for me, the weight of a GP14 would be a problem on the beach at low tide.

Lightwave395

Visit site
The GP is known as a 'boat which doesn't even burn quickly', but being slow possibly helps give good racing for a variety of people.
It's still a class which attracts some good sailors and runs some decent opens and championships.
If speed was everything, we'd all be sailing cats.
But for me, the weight of a GP14 would be a problem on the beach at low tide.

I definitely agree, but if you chuck the floorboards away it's manageable !

Lightwave395

Visit site
Just pulling your chain ;-)

I bet Ben found the GP50's a bit of a big stable platform after spending time on the new monohull foilers.

Appreciate that ! don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan, I was just looking for something (anything ) that could be bought and sailed for less than £100 on the water...
When the grandchildren tire of it I'll hand it over to other half and it will become a flower bed in the front garden !

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I was a teenager our club had a class of about 30 GP14s & they used to turn up every week.. Speed is not everything ( only relative) when one can get really close class racing in those numbers every weekend

Last edited:

Lightwave395

Visit site
I did the so called Sigma 'Europeans' included as part of Cork week back in '94, there were around 80 boats from all over the UK, certainly one of the best boats I've ever had and the best racing, I did it again a few years later on my old boat with it's new owner, it's still in the Solent racing.

Quandary

Visit site
The biggest Sigma class startline I was on had 39, with 80 I would have expected them to divide the fleet, they used to do it sometimes with a lot less than that. We did not know how lucky we were back then, big fleet with nearly half of them competitive, close racing, great social scene and proper strict one design rules, no sail choices in those days.

Lightwave395

Visit site
The biggest Sigma class startline I was on had 39, with 80 I would have expected them to divide the fleet, they used to do it sometimes with a lot less than that. We did not know how lucky we were back then, big fleet with nearly half of them competitive, close racing, great social scene and proper strict one design rules, no sail choices in those days.

The start line was getting on for mile long !

scottie

Visit site
The first year that we had a RIB at Scottish I took the PRO round the sigmas doing spot checks between races
They were rather surprised that we managed so many but we were actually looking at one boat in particular but it was clear except as with every other one the emergency water was gone!