Saildrives and shafts.

Rappey

Visit site
I was just suggesting that comparing an outboard leg to a sail drive leg is not really the same as the outboard is only immersed when in use rather than living underwater.

newtothis

Visit site
The problem is that you don't find saildrives in older boats, so they must be the work of the devil - inferior/more expensive/less reliable/too complicated*. As we all know, yacht design peaked somewhere around 1970, just before the infernal saildrive was invented - I mean, the stupidity of effectively sticking an outboard engine leg through the hull of a boat is there for all to see and it was obvious from the beginning it would never catch on - consigned to history in 1980 I believe. They are also totally unsuitable for seaworthy, proper, long-keel designs with skeg hung rudders on the trailing edge of the keel - the ONLY way to build a blue-water boat!!!

* delete as prejudice dictates.
Utter tosh. A real sailor wouldn't have an engine, far less a shaft. What's wrong with a sculling oar?

doug748

Visit site
Only the bit below the diaphragm is immersed ...

Indeed.
Provided it remains in good condition. :)

I generally note that saildrives are quiet in operation and have several other advantages. As do shafts.

The question was more about why shafts now. I was assured on these very pages that they were "dated" and "times had moved on". Thanks for the contributions all. It could well be an OEM commercial decision or key customers pressing for it, as suggested.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
It could be that the balance has shifted and the factories and suppliers producing gearboxes and parts for shaft drive are down on numbers - so the components are being sold at a discount to the yacht manufacturers, or the investment costs have been amortised making the parts cheaper - happens in automotive all the time.

I really don't care if my boat is shaft or saildrive - both work with pros and cons and I'd happily own either - not something that would swing my decision one way or another.

My boat got a shiny new re-power a few years ago and it went in very easily and hasn't had any post-installation problems at all ...

1600872863389.png1600872900281.png

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
It could be that the balance has shifted and the factories and suppliers producing gearboxes and parts for shaft drive are down on numbers - so the components are being sold at a discount to the yacht manufacturers, or the investment costs have been amortised making the parts cheaper - happens in automotive all the time.

I really don't care if my boat is shaft or saildrive - both work with pros and cons and I'd happily own either - not something that would swing my decision one way or another.

My boat got a shiny new re-power a few years ago and it went in very easily and hasn't had any post-installation problems at all ...

View attachment 99330View attachment 99331
The bubble-wrap is a nice touch!