Sail online mobile access

fireball

Visit site
If you're desperate enough to want to control your boat from a smartphone that doesn't support the sail online flash app then you could always do as I'm testing.

I've setup a machine (virtual one in my case) with a browser that can run sail online. I then create a VPN from the smartphone to the network and remote control the machine with something like remote desktop or vnc
Easy ;)

Dipper

Visit site
I'll stick to using the tiller. I can understand valves but once technology got as far as transistors, I lost the plot. ;)

Dipper

Visit site
Just trying to be witty and explain that I don't really understand the technology that Fireball is talking about. I obviously failed.

;)

fireball

Visit site
Sorry - I did post from my iphone in the high street whilst waiting for a van to let me out ... after I'd checked my course ! :p

Basically - I've got a computer set up with Sail Online that I can remote control with my iPhone - so despite the fact that the iPhone doesn't do flash I can still remotely play SOL ... just need a data connection and I'm away ...
Not as convenient as a flash enabled device - but hey - it works.

Alistairr

Visit site
Aye, you're absolutely right, it does work on the iPhone and iPad.

f8276a71.jpg

Cheers
Al.

WayneS

Visit site
Hi Fireball

What browser are you running SOL in? Reason for question is taht I am sure taht there is some sort of leak when running in IE8 because if I leave it open for any length of time (I'm talking a number of hours), my machine slowly grinds to a halt. Immediately OK again after closing SOL.

AND BTW, what Remote desktop app are you using on iPhone cos I have yet to find something that is very good.

Cheers

Wayne

fireball

Visit site
Oh yes ... both in Firefox and Safari ... :)

Sorry not to answer the previous questions ...

Flash is quite buggy - which is why Apple don't support it on their devices. I have it the SOL game running 24/7 on my works computer both in Firefox and IE (keeping an eye on SWMBO's boat!) and the memory usage builds horrendously ... but then I've got a fair amount of RAM ... Just checking now - Firefox is on 350Mb and IE on 290Mb ... and I only restarted the sessions this morning having been off over Christmas!
The only resolution I've found is to restart the browser from time to time.

Remote Apps - I use several ...
iRdesktop
VNC
My Mac

The latter two are VNC viewers - basically you can see what's on the remote computers screen (if they've got VNC server installed)

Nice to see it working on an iPad - far better than native android by the looks of things!

jacob11

Visit site
Even if you're not a guest at the Roosevelt you can go down to the front desk and purchase access there to their access spot. If memory serves me it's $10 a day and you just go to a website and enter your credit card number to get going.

I'm assuming the free access (if there is any in 2012) will be in the Egyptian Theater's courtyard again