Sail numbers. What do they represent ??

slipknot

Visit site
The question is in the heading really. Do they link to anything, are they recorded anywhere, do they arise from class 1 registration, where are they issued from, can I check these munbers on a register somewhere...........
Any advice appreciated

Capn Pugwash

www.boatbabysitters.com
You need one if you intend to race but I don't think they effectively mean a lot. I got mine free from the RYA (as a member). I originally bought my boat in the US and sailed it for a year with USA178 emblazoned on the main! Lots of strange looks as I belted around the Solent.

VicS

Visit site
Many or indeed probably most sailing boats have a sail insignia, a emblem and or a group of letters, and a number provided by the builder. The insignia identifies the maker and the model.

This picture of a Westerly Centaur (from the owners association website) shows the Westerly emblem, the letters CR denoting that it is a Centaur and the number 76 (an early one as over 2000 were built)

Centaur_Sentoray-1.jpg

In addition to the sail numbers issued by the builder, class associations etc. the RYA issues sail numbers,
Their scheme is best explained by reading THIS

No doubt the RYA keeps a record of the numbers it issues but whether this s available to all and sundry I doubt.

Builders will only keep records of the initial owners if at all and are unlikely to share the information . Class associations and owners associations also keep records relating to boats of their members. Only rarely do you see the information available publicly

lw395

Visit site
For a lot of the racing classes, the numbers and names of owners etc are listed in the SCRA handbook, fwiw.
Can be out of date though!

choppy

Visit site
I have similar question -
I inherited a German GER prefix then hull no - I understand from RYA that i cant change to a GBR (then hull no) without paying them a kings ransom. I am now intending to remove the GER (Any ideas how - hair dryer used to work on windsurf sails) & just keep hull no & logo ?
Is this correct & can we take part in a few club races ?

Is this correct ?

dt4134

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I understand from RYA that i cant change to a GBR (then hull no) without paying them a kings ransom.

[/ QUOTE ]

The RYA website says free to members and £26 to non-members. I think the release of Richard the Lionheart cost more than that even before you allow for inflation.

The RYA do issue them sequentially though so maybe they charge more for you to choose your own number. There's no need to go for any specific number as they're only used for racing and you just need a unique one so the race committee can tell the boats apart.

The issuing rules are probably slightly different in different countries. I believe you can choose your number (if it's still available) in Ireland. Maybe Germany is more rigid in relating it to a hull number. Would be unlike the Germans to make up extra rules though. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

choppy

Visit site
thanks jcp - As you say next sequential no would be free - the charge (about £ 500 i think) was due to the fact that the hull no was in the 100's rather than the 1000's & I was being tight not wanting to redo a 2nd hand sail.

awol

Visit site
Nice man at RYA let me keep the number part unchanged when I went from Italian to GBR - only had to change the letters.

Toluene does a reasonable job of removing the letter glue. Available expensively as Evostick remover.

Now where can I get some trinitro to go with it?

absit_omen

Visit site
Indeed, and if you send me a postal order for £50.00 I will issue you with whatever number you like. Just write it on the back of the PO.

Thanks.

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
<span style="color:white"> . </span>
Ian, I knew that was you as soon as I saw your avatar. How are you? Back in Almerimar yet, or still in chilly wintry Oban?

- W

desertqueen

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:

Do they link to anything

IQ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh, then I make Einstein an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

So these are racing numbers? The only thing I am fast at is getting the cork out of a good bottle... If I take these numbers off my sail do I have to report it to anyone?

VicS

Visit site
If I take these numbers off my sail do I have to report it to anyone?
SAR authority if your number is recorded with them I would think. That'd be the coast guard in the UK but dunno about the US. CG are a law enforcement agency there aren't they?

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest