Safety Equipment.

penberth3

Visit site
I am having second thoughts about the 20 year old raft.......

.......When it comes to safety I will not skimp. But I think my previous decision to "retire" the life raft was based on emotional rather than rational reasons

But you are trying to skimp on safety. This raft might appear to be in "good condition" but you've got 20 year old fabrics, 20 year old adhesives. Are you happy with that?

coopec

N/A
Visit site
But you are trying to skimp on safety. This raft might appear to be in "good condition" but you've got 20 year old fabrics, 20 year old adhesives. Are you happy with that?

I am taking advice from a factory authorized service station who have inspected the life raft and they say it is in "good condition". (It should be as it has been stored in a canister all its' life)

"In fact, a raft that is kept dry and is regularly repacked may last for 20 years or more until it is condemned by a factory-authorized service station"
People commenting in the thread (below) say a life raft must be condemned after 12 years (nothing is adding up)

I'll talk to them again when I pick the raft up on Wednesday. I could afford to buy a new liferaft but would it necessarily be any more reliable?

NOTE I've just been reading a 2017 YBW Thread and one person commenting says in France they condemn a 12 year old liferaft. When companies can give a 18 year warranty will it sti;ll be condemned after 12 years? (One manufacturer gives a 20 year warranty)

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?threads/liferaft-lifespan.487505/

coopec

N/A
Visit site

I am taking advice from a factory authorized service station who have inspected the life raft and they say it is in "good condition". (It should be as it has been stored in a canister all its' life)

"In fact, a raft that is kept dry and is regularly repacked may last for 20 years or more until it is condemned by a factory-authorized service station"
People commenting in the thread (below) say a life raft must be condemned after 12 years (nothing is adding up)

I'll talk to factory authorized service station people again when I pick the raft up on Wednesday. I could afford to buy a new liferaft but would it necessarily be any more reliable?

NOTE I've just been reading a 2017 YBW Thread and one person commenting says in France they condemn a 12 year old liferaft. When companies can give a 18 year warranty will it still be condemned after 12 years? (One manufacturer gives a 20 year warranty)

liferaft lifespan

PaulRainbow

Visit site

You started a thread asking about a liferaft, people have answered. If you don't want answers or advice, but only want to take your advice from a service centre, why even start the thread on here ?

Last edited:

penberth3

Visit site

People commenting in the thread (below) say a life raft must be condemned after 12 years (nothing is adding up)........

It doesn't matter what it looks like or how its been stored and maintained - you've got a raft that's at the end of its service life. Get a new one.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
In that case, don't ask for advice on here.

Paul I don't know what your problem is. That's pretty naive.

When I first got the life raft I knew nothing about them: (I didn't even know the age of my raft).
Thanks to people commenting on the thread my thinking has evolved since then.

I now need advice specific to my life raft: Is it good for another three(?) years or should it be condemned?

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Paul I don't know what your problem is. That's pretty naive.

When I first got the life raft I knew nothing about them: (I didn't even know the age of my raft).
Thanks to people commenting on the thread my thinking has evolved since then.

I now need advice specific to my life raft: Is it good for another three(?) years or should it be condemned?

Posts such as #66 are not helpful or polite.

By any standards, a 20 year old life raft is past its best. You talk of new rafts having xx years of warranty, but those are new, not 20 yrs old, built with dated materials. If you are going to carry a life raft, it makes sense to have one that you know is sound and up to the job.

If, on the other hand, you are happy with a 20 year old raft, then go for it.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
This morning I called in to Wests (the people who service life rafts) and had a 5 minute chat with the guy in charge. He made the following points (not necessarily in this order)
  • the raft is in good condition.
  • the liferaft business is very heavily regulated: a bit like the aircraft industry.
  • if we serviced a life raft and it subsequently failed we would be in all sorts of trouble.
  • in the life raft world not all life rafts are equal. Yours is a Plastimo Transocean and that is one of the better ones.
  • I asked if I could use it to sail to Africa and he responded "Yes........but I'd have it serviced before you go".
? ?

geem

Visit site
This morning I called in to Wests (the people who service life rafts) and had a 5 minute chat with the guy in charge. He made the following points (not necessarily in this order)
  • the raft is in good condition.
  • the liferaft business is very heavily regulated: a bit like the aircraft industry.
  • if we serviced a life raft and it subsequently failed we would be in all sorts of trouble.
  • in the life raft world not all life rafts are equal. Yours is a Plastimo Transocean and that is one of the better ones.
  • I asked if I could use it to sail to Africa and he responded "Yes........but I'd have it serviced before you go".
? ?
So are you saying you have a 20 year old Plastimo liferaft? the research that I did when I replaced my 12 year old liferaft was that it was scrap! The older rafts had glued seams. The new ones are thermo welded. Why take the risk for €1400

coopec

N/A
Visit site
So are you saying you have a 20 year old Plastimo liferaft? the research that I did when I replaced my 12 year old liferaft was that it was scrap! The older rafts had glued seams. The new ones are thermo welded. Why take the risk for €1400

I have taken advise from an expert! They have opened up the canister and examined the life raft and they say it is in good condition! ?

INKEDScreenshot_2020-12-02 PLASTIMO Transocean ISO 9650-1 Offshore Life Raft with Valise West ...png

penberth3

Visit site
I have taken advise from an expert! They have opened up the canister and examined the life raft and they say it is in good condition! ?

View attachment 104119

Does that mean the seams are welded AND glued (which would be unusual), or there are both glued seams and welded seams in different places? Something else to ask the experts.

I'm sure the service centre will be happy to take your money, but you still have a life-expired raft

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Does that mean the seams are welded AND glued (which would be unusual), or there are both glued seams and welded seams in different places? Something else to ask the experts.

I'm sure the service centre will be happy to take your money, but you still have a life-expired raft

The seams are welded AND glued (He confirmed that in conversation!!).

Well the experts who have examined the raft here in Perth don't think it is "a life-expired raft". (Are you confusing "warranty period" with "life"? They give an 18 year warranty on them these days)

The way the guy spoke it still has plenty of life :rolleyes:

geem

Visit site
My old liferaft was the same one you have. The Plastimo service centre explained to me that it wasnt worth the effort to service the raft. Plastimo have to warranty the raft once it is serviced for three years. They were not prepared to so this with the raft I had. They said in the Tropics they didnt last as long. The new model has all seams thermo welded not glued. Its a more reliable construction and as long as you service it at three year period you get an 18 year warranty. Obviously using a 20 year old raft is your choice. I would not risk it. Its your last line of defence. I would want the confidence that mine will save my life

Reactions: pvb

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

That's something I don't understand, having been involved with high frequency welded pvc, it doesn't make sense. Maybe the seams are welded and then reinforced with a glued-on strip?

geem

Visit site
That's something I don't understand, having been involved with high frequency welded pvc, it doesn't make sense. Maybe the seams are welded and then reinforced with a glued-on strip?
I suspect some not so critical seams are glued and more critical seams are welded. My understanding of thermo welding is there is no glue involved

coopec

N/A
Visit site
My old liferaft was the same one you have. The Plastimo service centre explained to me that it wasnt worth the effort to service the raft. Plastimo have to warranty the raft once it is serviced for three years. They were not prepared to so this with the raft I had. They said in the Tropics they didnt last as long. The new model has all seams thermo welded not glued. Its a more reliable construction and as long as you service it at three year period you get an 18 year warranty. Obviously using a 20 year old raft is your choice. I would not risk it. Its your last line of defence. I would want the confidence that mine will save my life

I can understand what you are saying but who am I to argue with people who service life rafts for a living? I let him know I can afford to buy a new raft but he said the one I have is in "good condition" and safe.

I am confused too: Why would they use glue and welding? Another blurb I've read is that they are "hand-stitched"
"Every stitched seam is then sealed with a thermo-welded ribbon for watertightness" :rolleyes:

There must be an explanation but as far as I am concerned it is irrelevant: I have a safe life raft. (When I travel by air I never question the air worthiness of the aircraft: I just hope people have done their job) ?

Last edited: