Safe Oil lamps

alec

Visit site
I like the idea of oil lamps – the light, the ambience and particularly the heat in a small boat.

But are they safe ? If it fell down what would happen ?

Are there failsafe ones or ones with safety features ?

Any thoughts, experiences or ideas would be welcome.

Regards

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I have a small gimballed oil lamp (similar to the Nauticalia ones) wall mounted with a heat sheild above the chimney. Had it for years and it's never fallen off, lit or unlit, despite some very short steep seas in the shallows of the Irish Sea/ Liverpool Bay area.

It provides a low level of light and can get a little "Fumey" smelling if used on long evenings with the hatches battened down. I tend to only use it on moorings or at anchor because I have an amber map light for overnight passage making which is even better at retaining night vision and provides the extra light over the chart table where it is needed.

Parafin, or scented lamp oil - if you feel posey, is easy to get & safely stored in a plastic bottle in a secure locker. Go for it, save your batteries & feel the ambience improve!

I suspectt that, if it fell it would go out & hardly leak at all. Don't believe that Hollywood cr*p of the log cabin becoming an inferno & everybody dying in 30 seconds when the lamp is dropped. If you want a test get one of the cheapo "chrome" looking ones from Hong Kong, fill it, light it & throw it on a small pile of straw (a la movies) I suspect the glass won't even break and if it does, the flame will go out!

If you do try it please report back /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Captain_Chaos

Visit site
I have three oil hurricane lamps on board and as well as providing light, they take the chill off the air which, if you dont have a heater, makes the cabin more comfortable at this time of year.

They have a broad base and I have never been concerned about one of them falling over, although I do use a non slip mat if they are used on the galley table.

I generally use a shackle to suspend one from a handrail or from the hatch handles although you need to be careful to make sure their is a sufficient gap between the top of the lamp and any nearby surface because they do throw out some heat.

I bought the first lamp from a swindlery for about £12 and picked up the other two (identical) from an army surplus store for £7 . Well worth getting.

doug748

Visit site
I have always used oil lamps (plus electric) in the cabin and also as an anchor light. My present cabin light has a broad wick and gives out good light but it is just too hot to use in its swinging bracket, even with a heat shield. I use it on the table but have made a doughnut shaped ring to sit it in to improve stability. Never had any safety worries but would think twice with kids around. Had to junk my old light cos the glass was broken in lumpy weather and I could not find a new one. When it cuts up rough I now remove the glass to a place of safety!

michael_w

Visit site
I was raised with parrafin lamps. My family's weekend retreat didn't have electricity. There is no wick based lamp with a fail safe.

When you light it, keep the flame very low until the glass chimney warms up. Then you can increase the flame, but beware of the "double flame". Sh*t this is difficult to explain in words, but dead easy in practice. Otherwise, the chimney will carbon up. Kept clean, upright and fed decent fuel, I swear by white spirit, they will give a lifetime of service.

For a variation look at a Tilley lamp. Bit like a primus stove with a mantle. Lots of heat, lots of bright white light, cost you a button a week to run.

rowey2006

www.birdcareuk.com
hi

interested in your thread!
my boat is a petrol motorboat 28ft can i use these lamps as iam always worried about draining batteries with lights on all the time. but i always thought that petrol fumes may get in cabin area light the lamp then boom!!!!, i have never smelt petrol any where on the boat.

thanks marc.

Roach1948

www.dallimoredesigns.nl
I have a Wheems and Plath yacht lamp. Smaller swing raduis than a normal oil lamp as they hang and dont require a smoke shade. Can be used as an anchor light. Built like tanks - would be very hard to break the glass as there are brass rods around the lens. Mine is an old one like a miner's tilley lamp, with a gauze over the flame compartment, that should stop an explosion if there is any noxious gas around. Not sure the newer ones have this feature though.

600.jpg

Stoaty

Visit site
I have a Tilley, an Anchor lamp and a Coleman Dual Fuel lamp. I find them much better for light and heat than an oil lamp and probably more economical. The Anchor is the brightest, the Coleman is the easiest to light, the Tilley is the hardest to light but the mantles seem to last forever. I always light them outside and only bring them in when they have settled down as they can flare on lighting and chuck out some soot. On top of this I must say I quite like the soft hissing noise they make.
wink.gif

BruceDanforth

Visit site
I have been on a boat where a hurricane lamp fell over.

It did not instantly torch the place like in a wild west movie.

It went out and spilled a small amount of oil making a little puddle about 4 inches wide.

That may not always be the case but it is how it happened for me.

roly_voya

Visit site
Re: Safe Oil lamps - Rowey

If you are worried about oil lamps ignighting petrol vapour you should also not have a gas cooker or use any electrical switches, ban nylon cloathing... in other words full gas rig safety measures but its easier to fit bilge blowers and a gas alarm (they should detect any flamable gas) Lamps are no more risky than any other source of spark or flame

gjeffery

Visit site
Miner's Flame Safety lamps (eg Protector Lamp and Lighting Co of Eccles) are as near to failsafe as you will get. Also safe in a methane ie natural gas atmosphere at the explosive limit. Underground, these are in use every shift, every day in fairly extreme conditions and take one hell of a bashing without complaint. When hit, they extinguish.

They give some heat, and light, but modern lamps with round wicks are designed for gas testing rather than primary illumination.

For what it's worth, the law requires flame lamps underground always to be hung and never stood on their bases. Seems sensible in a boat too.

robind

Visit site
Nauticalia do a very nice chrome version of a Tilly lamp with chrome shade (made in Germany I think) loads of knobs and a pressure gauge plus a hanging thingy works on Parafin and has a "Mantle"

Billjratt

Visit site
I've had oil lamps on board since the 60's and only one incident comes to mind: A "dietz" hurricane lamp, brass, was swinging around in the steep seas and fuel spilled out of the joints between the various components "tabbed" to the tank. This , along with some kiwi fruit that didn't survive, created a skating rink at the foot of the companionway steps. (teak/holly floor) Soldering all the seams on the lamp fixed the problem. Citronella oil also helps with midges/mossies etc.

gjeffery

Visit site
If buying "the real deal", make sure that the lamp is an officials relighter type (eg GR6 Garforth pattern), and ideally has a lead plug lock.

Most UK miner's lamps were/are lit electrically by a hot wire, and invariably have magnetic plunger locks that you would probably defeat by drilling.