Ryde

piewacket

Visit site
Hi All, has anyone been into Ryde harbour this year - not sure if the channel has been dredged and where.
Last year i followed the pier then cut across but last weekend that didn't work too well !

Giblets

Visit site
A couple of jet skis went in there a few weeks ago and got stranded cos the water went away! Doh! Had to be helped by the CG Mud Rescue Team.

piewacket

Visit site
Yes I know it dries! .. and the sandbank keeps changing.. Anyone that draws 1.2 bilge keel can usually do it 2 hours either side of HW, but last weekend at HW i touched down around HW ...

ashtead

Visit site
Agreed sadly another example of IW council lack of vision along with the Cowes chain ferry, Ryde ice rink, westridge pool . Just compare this harbour with how they would have developed in France .

girlofwight

Visit site
I have always thought that Ryde is such a wasted opportunity. ....All they had to do was put a cill at the entrance and dredge inside to 1.5m. Hey presto a fabulous harbour for a very nice place to visit.
Agreed sadly another example of IW council lack of vision along with the Cowes chain ferry, Ryde ice rink, westridge pool . Just compare this harbour with how they would have developed in France .
Agree. The IW Council is renowned for lack of vision - doesn’t matter which party runs it. There were discussions ongoing for Ryde Town Council to take the harbour over from Council, but they have gone quiet, hopefully just due to C19.

Ive only been in there once by boat, that was a Southerly with keel up, but it’s one of my regular cycle routes and it’s a shame to see it so run down.

ashtead

Visit site
As a plus for the island Bembridge has very much improved just needing some limited development to fund improvements and to get on to restore breakwater to stop silting.

girlofwight

Visit site
As a plus for the island Bembridge has very much improved just needing some limited development to fund improvements and to get on to restore breakwater to stop silting.

You'd think... now go and say that in Bembridge High Street and you would probably be lynched by the Harbour Trust (who more or less stand against anything the harbour does)!

ashtead

Visit site
Things haven’t really changed in Bembridge since the days of Major Selwyn - they need the breakwater yet the nimby faction seems to go of it’s way to offend the new harbour owners in exactly same way as they did in the 70s.

Stemar

Visit site
I tried for Ryde last year, but chickened out not long after high tide with a couple of feet of water under my keel and a few hundred yards to go. I draw change from a metre. Shame, I like Ryde, but they need to do something or it'll end up limited to small fishing boats.

Seven Spades

Visit site
There are so may potential harbours that could be built with a cill it is such a shame that no givernment of this country has any foresight. There is no reason at all why there isn't the most fantastic marina in Swanage, In France it woudl hve become on of the premier yachting centers and brought all the wealth with it. The north Cornwall coast is a sitter for this sort of scheme. With the rise and fall of the tides in the area.

Visit site
Does anyone have a photograph taken this year of Ryde approach at low water? I am thinking of visiting later next week and it would be useful to see where the channel runs.

Visit site
There is a Ryde Harbour Users group on Facebook. Lots of talk there about a sandbank in the entrance.

And this picture:-
Pic.
Thanks for the photograph. Quite a sandbank on what I presume is East of the entrance? The FB Ryde harbour users page is useful too. Sounds like the visitors' toilets have been vandalised.