Ryanair under seat bag question

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Flying back to Faro Sunday with 2 hold bags booked but no extra cabin baggage.

Ryanair say under-seat (basic) bag can be a laptop, but then they specify a max width and depth that is smaller than my (modest) laptop bag.

Will they check it if I turn up to board with just a laptop bag and nothing else?

- W

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Flying back to Faro Sunday with 2 hold bags booked but no extra cabin baggage.

Ryanair say under-seat (basic) bag can be a laptop, but then they specify a max width and depth that is smaller than my (modest) laptop bag.

Will they check it if I turn up to board with just a laptop bag and nothing else?

- W
Strange. I have booked with Ryanair just now. Priority with automatic two cabin bags. One 10kg and one under-seat. No hold bags this time. I thought two cabin bags was automatic anyway if hold bags were booked. I have never had cabin bags checked for size or weight. Ryanair like all airlines, have a metal template for the cabin bag but I do not recall one for under-seat bag. That is the resposibility of the cabin staff. The trolley dollies check on their walk through. If they sea an exposed bag they eill stuff it in the overhead without checking if you have one already in there.

When one considers, the difference in passenger size, weight, girth, then control of cabin bags are understandebly lax

Irish Rover

Visit site
Be warned Michael has reduced the dairy herd on his farm in County Westmeath as part of the Ryanair commitment to reducing emissions and he has recyled some of the milking stools - please don't ask what the sticky-out bit is for.
ms.jpg

Quiddle

Visit site
I regularly fly Ryanair with a 40L rucsac as underseat baggage and have never been challenged, and it does fit under the seat. I've seen people with similar sized rigid luggage challenged at the gate. The polite ones charm their way through, the confrontational get out their wallets. Hang back to be the last to board and the crew will be desperate to close the gate and won't seek confrontation, IME.

Quiddle

Visit site
Be warned Michael has reduced the dairy herd on his farm in County Westmeath as part of the Ryanair commitment to reducing emissions and he has recyled some of the milking stools - please don't ask what the sticky-out bit is for.
View attachment 123446
Yes, how much better it was in the days when a flight to Spain cost at least £100 in 1980s money and you got a limp baguette into the bargain:unsure: I'd love to know what other airline offers UK to Algarve for a tenner - I certainly can't find one that comes close. Flew Stansted-Venice return this week for £22 with Ryanair, next cheapest was £160.

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yes, how much better it was in the days when a flight to Spain cost at least £100 in 1980s money and you got a limp baguette into the bargain:unsure:
I'm a big Ryanair fan and I think Michael was the best thing thatever happened to aviation in Europe. I remember paying over ir£400 for a day return from Dublin to London in the early 80's which was around half my monthly pay at the time.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
On easyJet they’ve accepted this as hand luggage many times within the last 4months

Attachments

• 436C3958-3E02-4A36-B7E3-881FBE1FC229.jpeg
    436C3958-3E02-4A36-B7E3-881FBE1FC229.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 26

BurnitBlue

Visit site
What is the logic in charging 44 euros for 20kg of hold luggage, when a person of 100kg plus pays 19 euros and takes up a seat?
Passengers are considered self loading baggage. No baggage handlers, no casousels, no complex baggage railways with computer controlled switch points to direct baggage to the correct aircraft. Etc etc.

Baggage are dumb objects and need to be carried every inch of the way.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Passengers are considered self loading baggage. No baggage handlers, no casousels, no complex baggage railways with computer controlled switch points to direct baggage to the correct aircraft. Etc etc.

Baggage are dumb objects and need to be carried every inch of the way.
For 19 euros I would be quite happy to carry my 20 kilo bag every inch of the way and strap it into a seat some where.

No need for baggage handlers, carousels, complex baggage railways with computer controlled switch points to direct baggage to the correct aircraft. Etc etc.

dslittle

Visit site
What is the logic in charging 44 euros for 20kg of hold luggage, when a person of 100kg plus pays 19 euros and takes up a seat?

It’s how they manage to charge €19 for the person!!!

BurnitBlue

Visit site
For 19 euros I would be quite happy to carry my 20 kilo bag every inch of the way and strap it into a seat some where.

No need for baggage handlers, carousels, complex baggage railways with computer controlled switch points to direct baggage to the correct aircraft. Etc etc.
Until the day when a passenger needs to take three 20kg bags plus maybe a child or two. To quickly set up an infrastructure to handle the extra bagage would cost a lot more than present charges under the present system. Dont forget security checks and access to the hold. Or are you suggesting that you can heave a 20kg suitcase into the overhead cabin rack without it falling on someones head.

No need to knock the present system unless you have a working alternative that suits all passengers at all airports.

The old adage that third class riding is better than first class walking applies with bells on when carrying a 20kg suitcase despite tiny wheels.

Last edited:

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Until the day when a passenger needs to take three 20kg bags plus maybe a child or two. To quickly set up an infrastructure to handle the extra bagage would cost a lot more than present charges under the present system. Dont forget security checks and access to the hold. Or are you suggesting that you can heave a 20kg suitcase into the overhead cabin rack without it falling on someones head.

No need to knock the present system unless you have a working alternative that suits all passengers.
I am saying that if I pay 19 euros for another seat I should be able to put my 20kg bag ON that seat and fasten its seat belt rather than pay 44 euro for some one to put it in the hold.

billskip

Visit site
It's taken a long time for the penny to drop...there's more profit in freight than passengers, especially when it comes complete with handling.

BurnitBlue

Visit site
I am saying that if I pay 19 euros for another seat I should be able to put my 20kg bag ON that seat and fasten its seat belt rather than pay 44 euro for some one to put it in the hold.
Nice try but it is not allowed simply because a passenger seat belt will not secure a suitcase in heavy turbulance. There could be other reasons.

greeny

Visit site
Its all part of the pricing policy for the two budget airlines. Cheap seat but make the price up with priority, reserved seats, cabin and hold baggage etc.
But overall they are still the cheapest way to travel by far and usually give good prices even with everything added in. He needs to make some money or they won't be there in the future.