RYA website down?

jdc

Visit site
For a few hours, when trying to go to rya.org.uk I've been getting
502 - Web server received an invalid response while acting as a gateway or proxy server.
There is a problem with the page you are looking for, and it cannot be displayed. When the Web server (while acting as a gateway or proxy) contacted the upstream content server, it received an invalid response from the content server.

Looking for more detail,
curl -L --get --url "https://rya.org.uk"

gets the response
curl: (47) Maximum (50) redirects followed

Anyone else experiencing this?

lustyd

Visit site
No, you just need to add www. at the begginning because their admins don't know how to IT properly ;)

lustyd

Visit site
Nope it's working fine here for Home. Perhaps your side has issues, although 5xx is a server side issue so shouldn't be

jdc

Visit site
All working again - it turned out to be an issue with Safari and cookies on my MacBook. Thanks to those who checked whether it was working for them.

But in investigating it I find that the RYA send all your browsing info straight to Facebook and to Google, which I'm not at at all happy about, and nor am I happy about the myriad cookies the RYA set. I really don't think that official organisations should act like this.

lustyd

Visit site
Not only shouldn't they, it's illegal for them to do so without your consent so feel free to report them to the ICO or send them a strongly worded letter. From what I've seen of their site though, IT is definitely not their strong point so I wouldn't expect them to understand the issue.

lustyd

Visit site
interestingly I don't get any inappropriate cookies from them, just a session cookie for the load balancer, which they don't need to inform you of.

lustyd

Visit site
pvb that's unlikely to be a good measure as the RYA website takes so long to load it probably times out the monitoring site. It's been consistently up using the right address but it takes well over a second to return a page. Every monitoring system I've ever used would consider that a failure so it's surprising it sometimes scrapes under the line