RYA Training CD

G

Does anyone know where I can rent/borrow the RYA CD ROM called "The complete course" RYA code CD1. Its the complete Dayskipper and Yachmaster Offshore theory course plus other stuff. My local library says that even if they found it in another library they probably wouldn't be able to get it on inter-library loan as this reciprocal arrangement only applies to books - libraries are loath to lend out CD ROMS and videos to other libraries as they are a source of income. Maybe there are some commercial lending libraries out there that have it - anyone know? Any suggestions?

Fewkeste

G

The RYA gets some income by selling these products which keeps the fees down. Why dont you investigate the local education system for evening courses. They are cheaper than the courses suggested and you have the advantage of learning in company and with a tutor who has `done it all`.

G

I have this CD-ROM and quite frankly I would say "Don't bother". It is the most appalling piece of software I have ever paid money for.

Stick to decent books or go on a course. This CD-ROM is only good for putting your coffee cup on.

G

Harry,

I have already done the Day Skipper and Coastal Skipper theory courses at night school, and will be doing Yachtmaster Ocean Theory this coming September. I thought that the CD would be a useful aide memoire for my wife and I as we prepare ourselves for Coastal Skipper practical and later Yachmaster Practical.

Steve

Fewkeste

G

Mandu,

Thanks for your comments - They are precisely why I wanted to hire it from somewhere rather than fork out £50 for something without seeing or trying it. I have already done Dayskipper and Coastal Skipper - see my reply to Harry.

In view of your comments, I will certainly persist in trying to find a rental option first. Are there other people out there that share Mandu's opinion of this product?

Steve

Fewkeste

G

George,

Thanks for the info - the Longbow website looks like its the people that produce the CD ROM I was enquiring about, which then gets an RYA endorsement - i.e. the CD ROM is not actually an RYA created product (assuming the Longbow Sail Training CD and the RYA product are one and the same of course). This information and Mandu's comments make me determined to find a copy to rent first. I'll send an email to Longbow to see if they know where I can hire it from. I won't be doing the NMCS course - £299 seems a bit steep for Yachtmaster Ocean - I can do it at my local college for £125, and get a 20% discount by doing it through an Individual Learning Account. If you've not had an ILA before, you can open one and pay for a sailing theory or practical training course with it up to the value of £150. You have to make a contribution of £20 or £25 and you have to phrase your application in such a way that the training can be counted as in some way supporting a vocational aspect of your life. i.e. you may say that you are working towards getting a Coastal Skipper (DoT) so that you can then take people out on yachts and charge them money for sailing with you.

Steve

Fewkeste

G

I also bought the CD.

I bought it before doing so much as a days cruiser sailing, having only previously had experience in Dinghy sailing.

I had booked to do a Competent Crew course, and thought that I should educate myself beforehand, and thought that an 'all in one' course looked like great value for money.

I am thoroughly dissapointed in it. If it were presented as a paper book, it might be useful. I don't know if it is just me, but If I'm going to read lots of text, and study diagrams, I'd far prefer to read it from paper rather than on the screen. It's just much more comfortable.

So far, I've not found any 'true' user interaction, so I'm VERY dubious as to the authors labeling of it as such.

In short, I wish I'd bought a bunch of books instead.

G

Thanks for your comments - they seem to agree with Mandu's comments. I agree with you that if it's nothing more than the text you would get in a book presented on screen then where's the benefit? If there were a good set of interactive exercises that assisted the learning process then that would be different, but from what you say they are not very obvious if they exist at all.

Fewkeste