RYA Guidance

Dan Tribe

Visit site
This an extract from RYA Guidance. It is probably just me, but does anyone else find this confusing? I think it means "don't"

Can marinas open? The Yacht Harbour Association has issued guidance to its member marinas which, whilst it does not specify the closure of marinas, advises marina operators to support Government guidance by ‘not encouraging‘ either berth holders to visit their boats, nor public access which in reality is likely to result in its members preventing berth holders from utilising their boats for exercise as well as access to boats for maintenance purposes; although marinas themselves may stay open to carry out safety checks on customers boats.

D

Deleted member 36384

It is not confusing, YHA is advising members to follow government guidelines by not encouraging berth holders to visit where it may be legal to do so, but is against the guidelines. The association is basically supporting the government's aim of protecting the NHS by limiting movement of the public.

For example, Craobh Marina, my home port, has emailed all it's berth holders outlining how they can help boat owners manage their commitments to insurance companies and be assured that their boats are being checked. They offer video tours, checking service and any other task that berth holders wish the marina to look at e.g. switching on and off battery chargers or bilge pumps, all at no extra charge.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tranona

Visit site
Things have moved on a bit from then. The interpretation from our club based on the Road Map is that sailing can start again from 29 March and that from 8 march members can access their boats to prepare them, including hauling and launching.

Mudisox

Visit site
Just back from visiting my boat, no problems, met no one and the police were too busy with the bomb in Exeter to worry about checking cars on the road down. Mind you I went no where near a marina except by dinghy past the development of Noss,- boy will it be big.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
OK, the meaning is clear, I think, but the style of writing is a bit obfuscating.
It's the use of multiple negatives I find complicated. E.G. " not encouraging visits by berth holders nor public access which will result in preventing,etc".
Perhaps it was written by a committee of amateur lawyers.

Tranona

Visit site
Glad to see that the way forward is being driven by data and not dates!
Well, those dates are already fixed by OUR govt and what is proposed is permitted within the guidance.

So don't understand what you are talking about. No doubt things are different in a different nation from England.