RYA calls to end the compulsory carriage of flares on leisure craft.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
What a totally ridiculous response. Flares are unique in their lifesaving benefits. I will always carry plenty, even though I'm not obliged to carry any lifesaving equipment at all in UK waters.
This absurd, clown world proclamation is absolutely reprehensible. It's like saying, 'Stop carrying 1st Aid Kits because clinical waste needs special disposal'.

scruff

Visit site
It is the RYA’s long-standing view that the compulsory carriage of flares by recreational boaters is an outdated and ineffective approach to maritime safety. This requirement is what directly creates the problem of disposal. The RYA’s main case for the removal of the compulsory carriage is both the technological advances in alternative equipment, and the inherent lack of reliability and effectiveness that the flares provide.

Can't really disagree with any of that. Pyrotechnic flares will be phased out over the coming years

Ceejay

Visit site
'Lack of reliability'? First lie.
'Lack of effectiveness'? Second lie.
Either the authors of this decree are totally ignorant, or there is a hidden agenda.
Might one assume that you have a financial interest in the continuing use of pyrotechnic flares? They seem to be very close to your heart.

dunedin

Visit site
What a totally ridiculous response. Flares are unique in their lifesaving benefits. I will always carry plenty, even though I'm not obliged to carry any lifesaving equipment at all in UK waters.
This absurd, clown world proclamation is absolutely reprehensible. It's like saying, 'Stop carrying 1st Aid Kits because clinical waste needs special disposal'.

Cool down. If you want to continue to carry pyrotechnics then you are free to do so.
All RYA are saying is that pyrotechnic flares should not be COMPULSORY.

Makes sense to me

TernVI

Visit site
How many UK yachts have used flares to get assistance in the past decade?

It would be interesting to see an analysis of how much of UK coastal waters don't have mobile phone coverage but do have a cat in hell's chance of a flare being seen. Also what is the effective coverage of Coastguard DSC reception?

Lots of assertion from the RYA's greenwashing department, bit short on actual facts.
"“Modern technology such as radios, phones and other satellite connected technologies provide safer, affordable and significantly more reliable alternatives to pyrotechnic flares. "
I think some people have unreasonable expectations of the timescale involved in a rescue initiated by 'satellite connected technologies'.

It is perhaps a debate we need to have, but maybe the RYA has gone off at half cock here?
How many RYA-approved SIs and NoRs still mandate the carrying of flares?

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
How many UK yachts have used flares to get assistance in the past decade?

It would be interesting to see an analysis of how much of UK coastal waters don't have mobile phone coverage but do have a cat in hell's chance of a flare being seen. Also what is the effective coverage of Coastguard DSC reception?

Lots of assertion from the RYA's greenwashing department, bit short on actual facts.
"“Modern technology such as radios, phones and other satellite connected technologies provide safer, affordable and significantly more reliable alternatives to pyrotechnic flares. "
I think some people have unreasonable expectations of the timescale involved in a rescue initiated by 'satellite connected technologies'.

It is perhaps a debate we need to have, but maybe the RYA has gone off at half cock here?
How many RYA-approved SIs and NoRs still mandate the carrying of flares?
I have got assistance with a flare.

What do these fools mean by 'more reliable' ?
Do they mean, 'likely to function when asked'! Flares are extremely reliable, more so than radios.
Or do they mean 'more likely to get help'? Flares are unambiguous and everone for miles can see them and knows what they mean.
Radio signals normally only reach a few, who must also have properly functioning equipment and know what to do.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
At the RYA Cruising Conference on 21/03/2021 it clearly stated that if you wanted to carry pyrotechnics then there is nothing stopping you. The legislation is for boats over 13.5 meters. I wonder how many leisure boats are above that size?

I have no plans to get rid of mine any time soon.

I intend to continue to carry flares. It seems to me that they are rather a good way of drawing attention to a particular boat and they don’t depend on the rescuers having accurate radio location equipment.

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
At the RYA Cruising Conference on 21/03/2021 it clearly stated that if you wanted to carry pyrotechnics then there is nothing stopping you. The legislation is for boats over 13.5 meters. I wonder how many leisure boats are above that size?

I have no plans to get rid of mine any time soon.

Ditto.
My thoughts about flares are much the same as those on an EPIRB or a liferaft.
I'd rather have them and never need them than find myself in a situation where I needed them but didn't have them.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Perhaps the woke worthies at RYA Towers were mulling over something like this...

Party-party
That would be like banning the sale of paint to stop grafitti. Yes they probably are stupid enough.
Edit, the local paper quotes the Watchet Coastguard as saying that it is illegal to let off flares on land, and illegal to let off OOD flares anywhere. These are both falsehoods.

dom

Visit site
'Lack of reliability'? First lie.
'Lack of effectiveness'? Second lie.
Either the authors of this decree are totally ignorant, or there is a hidden agenda.

Just looked at my calendar, but no, April 1 is next week! Guessing the RYA might as well delete this section then:

"Hand-held white flares are also designed for the purpose of collision avoidance. A white flare is not a distress flare. It is used to draw attention to a vessel's presence, particularly in a potential collision situation where the other vessel does not appear to have seen you."

I always have a white flare to hand at night.