RYA calls to end the compulsory carriage of flares on leisure craft.

zoidberg

Visit site
That's pretty offensive. Obviously you feel strongly about this but there is no need for such comments. You come over as angry and shouty. You should reserve this behaviour for the Lounge.

Oooo! Get her...!

Akshully, it caused me a smile. I've met a few of them.... :giggle:

penfold

Visit site
That would be like banning the sale of paint to stop grafitti. Yes they probably are stupid enough.
Edit, the local paper quotes the Watchet Coastguard as saying that it is illegal to let off flares on land, and illegal to let off OOD flares anywhere. These are both falsehoods.
If only it was, the old firm idiots let loose with pyros several times during lockdown and Polis Alba stood and watched them do it.

zoidberg

Visit site
There was a suggestion, made in committee a few years ago, that RYA Members post their out-of-date flares to RYA HQ, where they'd be collected and 'periodically disposed of'.
As I understand it, there was lengthy active discussion about how such a scheme would work and some sincere ideas were noted and minuted.

I also understand that the whole 'story was quietly dropped from the Minutes as they were finally printed and distributed. Someone, somewhere, had an outbreak of WTF.....

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
There was a suggestion, made in committee a few years ago, that RYA Members post their out-of-date flares to RYA HQ, where they'd be collected and 'periodically disposed of'.
As I understand it, there was lengthy active discussion about how such a scheme would work and some sincere ideas were noted and minuted.

I also understand that the whole 'story was quietly dropped from the Minutes as they were finally printed and distributed. Someone, somewhere, had an outbreak of WTF.....
Food for thought!

Concerto

Visit site

Sending explosives (flares and firworks) through the post is illegal, so probably why it was quietly dropped.