RYA calls to end the compulsory carriage of flares on leisure craft.

TernVI

Visit site

BTW what are SIs and NoRs?
Sailing instructions and Notice of Race/Regatta.
The terms of entering a race, where the racing 'authorities' often specify the carriage of flares, often by reference to categories defined by World Sailing, of which the RYA is an influential member.

So, other departments of the RYA are heavily involved in requiring many boats to carry flares.

Achosenman

Visit site
I will continue to carry in-date flares. I will continue to make sure passengers on my boat know where they are and how/when to use them.

The rates of failures I have experienced with time expired parachute flares demonstrates to me at least, the need to replace out of date flares I carry.

In the scheme of things nautical, flares don't stand out as expensive, nor troublesome to carry. IMO their disposal is not terribly onerous either.

Last edited:

Ian_Rob

Visit site
I have fired 4 flares in my life, all just but only just after their stated expiry date. Two worked, two didn’t.

Achosenman

Visit site
I have fired 4 flares in my life, all just but only just after their stated expiry date. Two worked, two didn’t.

Storage in a watertight container cures many of the problems. In my experience, time expired parachute flares tend to be the weak link. They launch ok, but the parachute fails to deploy. (Good for repelling boarders though ;) ) I can honestly say everything else has worked, and some were15 years out of date.

dom

Visit site
Can't see any issue with this at all, those that still want to use flares can, those that do not want to can choose not to have them.

True, but that leaves the issue of coded boats where a heightened duty of care is owed to the passengers and the downgrading of what is one of the cheapest and most effective safety systems.

I've seen flares twice in my life, but never been the first to spot them: the first time, my 6-year old daughter asked off Ventnor IoW, "What's that Daddy?" and the second , by my wife in the Chenal du Four, then new to sailing, yelled, "Look, that's a flare!!!!" In the first case Solent Coastguard was aware of the sighting and asked us to keep a sharp lookout, and in the second the French CG said it was sending a lifeboat but we were too far away and too deep to help.

And that's the point about flares: their sheer, spine-chilling, unmistakability as they float and then descend from a part of the sky that screams:
ACTION REQUIRED ....NOW!

The same applies in collision avoidance: a white flare is unmistakable and no time is wasted.

Ian_Rob

Visit site
Storage in a watertight container cures many of the problems. In my experience, time expired parachute flares tend to be the weak link. They launch ok, but the parachute fails to deploy. (Good for repelling boarders though ;) ) I can honestly say everything else has worked, and some were15 years out of date.

Mine were always stored in a watertight container and were a good make. I was really surprised that there was a 50% failure rate.

ctva

Visit site
Same here, I've used dozens of flares on bonfire night over the years and had very few failures. All bar one were standard red/white as I've not had parachute flares for a long time as I see them as more irrelevant now for distant distress notification.

On the boat I carry the in date and most recently expired batch with anything older fired on the night.

michael_w

Visit site
Several years ago I was involved in a rescue of a sinking boat. The flare fired by the liferaft occupants was perfect for pinpointing their location against the background of Portsmouth street lights.

jordanbasset

Visit site
More thoughts on this if it is compulsory to carry flares then training in the use of them should also be compulsory, with hands on training in their use.
Still think the preferred solution is it should be the choice of the person whether they have them in the first place though

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Flares are compulsory on certain vessels.
Those vessels will also have DSC radios, and probably PLBs/EPIRBs and AIS.
This demonstrates that the authorities correctly consider pyros to be a uniquely effective way of calling for help or attracting attention, which can never be replaced by carrying the latest electronic gadgets.

Achosenman

Visit site
More thoughts on this if it is compulsory to carry flares then training in the use of them should also be compulsory, with hands on training in their use.
Still think the preferred solution is it should be the choice of the person whether they have them in the first place though

The first time you use a flare can be a surprise to the unwary. Training as part of a sea survival course should be in everyone's survival arsenal.

Seven Spades

Visit site
At the RYA Cruising Conference on 21/03/2021 it clearly stated that if you wanted to carry pyrotechnics then there is nothing stopping you. The legislation is for boats over 13.5 meters. I wonder how many leisure boats are above that size?

I have no plans to get rid of mine any time soon.
Mine is

Seven Spades

Visit site
I would liove to now if anyone has actually used a white flare. It seems to me that if you need to use a white flare the colregs probably that your duty to avoid a collision has replaced your requirement to stand on. if you put up a white flare and the ship hits you, you probably don't have a leg to stand on. I have to say that I have been tempted to use them when it is clear that ships are either ignoring there responsibility or not keeping watch, but never have.