RYA Appeal

Sandy

Visit site

Pete7

Visit site
Surely this should work both ways. How about the RYA writing to to marinas and asking that yachts confined or out of the water are given a reduced rate for the next couple of months. The marinas have some income and owners likely to feel they are being helped during this difficult time.

Does "not cancelling DDs also include the one to the RYA?

lw395

Visit site
Happy to be supporting both my clubs at this time.
As for supporting businesses, I'd already shelled out for a new sail, two new covers, various fitting paint and whathaveyou over the winter.
I'm not going to insure the dinghy that's sat on my driveway.

ditchcrawler

Visit site
Good comment by Pete 7. I obviously cannot get my boat ready for launching, my antifoul arrived the day after the Boris announcement and the marina
is closed . I have paid my yearly marina bill and I accept that my fee includes pontoon and winter storage. The overall rate for being on the hardstanding
is a lot less than the yearly fee I am paying and it does not seem unreasonable to get a part reduction, so the both the owner and the marina are sharing the load. The way things are going I can see this year being a right off. I have been a supporter and member of the RYA for 35 years and I hope that they will support the members in this situation.

V1701

Visit site
Well they would say that wouldn't they. I happen to be a member this year only by virtue of having recently renewed my ICC/CEVNI. Some advocacy on behalf of their members wouldn't go amiss...

lw395

Visit site
Well they would say that wouldn't they. I happen to be a member this year only by virtue of having recently renewed my ICC/CEVNI. Some advocacy on behalf of their members wouldn't go amiss...
They do come across as being more of a trade association for businesses which prey on sailors sometimes.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
They do come across as being more of a trade association for businesses which prey on sailors sometimes.

RYA are as much a marine business as those mentioned in their piece, profiting as they do from the Ponzi scheme that is Yachtmaster(TM) et al. I see little evidence of them acting in the interest of their membership (especially those without sails). Though in this particular case my views do align with theirs to an extent.

PhillM

Visit site
Hmm I am a member and have used the legal team just once. That however, saved me £3k so I’m well chuffed with them. However, I do wonder if the legal team could think about the position of all mooring and marina based owners and consider the legal position. wWile I doubt this will mean much to me personally, I do suggest that forumites who are marina based, or those caught where they do to want to be, contact the team and ask for advice.

Sandy

Visit site
RYA are as much a marine business as those mentioned in their piece, profiting as they do from the Ponzi scheme that is Yachtmaster(TM) et al. I see little evidence of them acting in the interest of their membership (especially those without sails). Though in this particular case my views do align with theirs to an extent.
Can you suggest a better programme of certification?

[163233]

Visit site
The RYA could cut its fees generally, it's quite expensive for a mag that's mostly about dinghies or racing, and a website.
Doesn't even have a forum... ;)