Rudder joints

how999

Visit site
I am restoring a 28' gaff cutter, it has a transom hung rudder which needs replacing. I think the best wood is iroko and I would need to join three boards to make up the size.
What is the best joint to join the boards please. Joints are roughly 900mm long, the boards are approx 55mm thick

OldBawley

Visit site
I repaired our rudder this way :

Reparatie roer

Made new rudder out of white oak in 1995. Sheeted with 2 layers of epoxy cloth.

After about 23 years water had infiltrated in the rudder and cracked the epoxy layer. So diving I just cut it off on one side. Two more years later the rudder warped. One side wet, one side dry.

Temporary repair done underway by bracing with wood.

Teredo worms eat the wood.

Repair : get rudder off, tow it to yard. Cutting away all bad wood. The worms had entered the rudder as well since the epoxy with the copper coat was gone.

No white oak available so both some iroko. Modified the rudder form (step and a bit smaller) and joined by tonge. Epoxy glue. Made SS steel braces.

Works out fine.

Hacker

Visit site
There are a number of ways you could do it, from simple flat faced contact, t&g or hardwood domino’s. The key is to stop the planks twisting so you need to have a piece across the bottom at 90deg to the rest. This both covers the end grain and stops twisting. You will also need cheek pieces at the top (unless the rudder stock is very thick). This will also help to reduce any twist. If you want to make it bullet proof then through bolts (bronze) could be used as suggested by @Laminar Flow .