Rubbing strake for pier wall

alt

Visit site
Thanks. That stuff seems a bit light-weight, looking for something a little more industrial. I need 60 metres of the stuff!

alt

Visit site
Why not just use a fender board?
Considering using timber planks, but the rubber would be better, I would have thought.

Open to ideas!

BTW, it's not a straight 60 metres. It's one long wall, but there's a curve on it, in some places more of a curve than a thick plank would bend, I think. However, it might be possible to use long concrete screws and keep screwing in over a period of time, hoping it'll bend slowly.

alt

Visit site
I used to use planks with old carpet nailed to one side, some fastened to a jetty, a couple left ready to hang over the side. it worked well.
I'm trying to cover a wall 60 metres in length and want something that will last a LONG time (15+ years).

Timber and carpet is a great idea for a small area, not 60 metres. Also, small stones can get stuck in carpet and scratch boats.

lusitano

Visit site
Rawl type screws at say 1 mt intervals. Drill the rubber straight through at a size to accomodate the rawl shaft size and then drill the outer rubber again, big enough to allow the fastener head to fit through

penberth3

Visit site
Considering using timber planks, but the rubber would be better, I would have thought.

Open to ideas!

BTW, it's not a straight 60 metres. It's one long wall, but there's a curve on it, in some places more of a curve than a thick plank would bend, I think. However, it might be possible to use long concrete screws and keep screwing in over a period of time, hoping it'll bend slowly.

That would be a complete PITA and probably wouldn't work. Easier (but still not easy!) to cut short pieces with lap joints and do it like a threepenny bit.

alt

Visit site
I'll figure something out, hence why I asked here.... please do feel free to share any wild ideas you may have!

Boathook

Visit site

Open to ideas!

Put saw cuts on the back of the planks and they will bend round more easily. I did something similar on my mooring last summer after hitting the sheet piling when the wind blew the bows round.

Edit. Just managed to add a picture. Its on sheet piling and the lighter bits are infill to give more strength to those sections. The wood is held in place by counter sunk machine screws. Since I fitted it I haven't hit it but this coming season .....

20200813_174559_resized.jpg

Last edited:

alt

Visit site
Put saw cuts on the back of the planks and they will bend round more easily. I did something similar on my mooring last summer after hitting the sheet piling when the wind blew the bows round.
Yeah, on the outward facing side, you mean? I've often see this done before, for sure a cheap option.

This is just as a bit of a defense mechanism... it's a concrete wall so it's nicer to have fenders rested against timber rather then concrete.

Boathook

Visit site
Yeah, on the outward facing side, you mean? I've often see this done before, for sure a cheap option.

This is just as a bit of a defense mechanism... it's a concrete wall so it's nicer to have fenders rested against timber rather then concrete.
The saw cuts are on the inside so get smaller as the wood is bent round. I did them about every 2 inches to 50% depth of the wood using a 'chop' saw. Still took a while.

Pinnacle

Visit site
At the local dingy club, the pontoons have escalator handrail all around the edges. Screwed through the middle. The top surface where you would put your hands on it when its on an escalator goes next to the pontoon. You could put as many rows of it on the wall as needed.

since lift and escalator companies have to replace this stuff as soon as it shows any signs of cracking on the top surface, they have loads of it. The club got all of the lengths it needed - and some - for free. It saved the company from having to pay to dispose of it.

it will last 15 years easily.